Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
ICEing
Hugh Mungus WOT??

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Convertible Red Hot
6th Gen SS vs 5th Gen ZL1 "Fun Factor"

As I'm considering to buy another Camaro and I'm not super rich, I was wondering those who have driven both the New SS and Last Gen ZL1 which one is more fun to drive? They both go for around the same price now I'm seeing. A few people told me the 6th Gen SS is about as fast as the last gen ZL1 and the 0-60 times from a quick google search seem to add up
ICEing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEing View Post
As I'm considering to buy another Camaro and I'm not super rich, I was wondering those who have driven both the New SS and Last Gen ZL1 which one is more fun to drive? They both go for around the same price now I'm seeing. A few people told me the 6th Gen SS is about as fast as the last gen ZL1 and the 0-60 times from a quick google search seem to add up
Fact! From my M6 experince as to acceleration:

5th gen bolton M6 LS3 = stock 5th gen M6 ZL1 = stock CA6 SS M6

All three of these cars ran 12.3 for me with the LS3 bolton being slightly the fastest.

And all three were really fun to drive. The ZL1 was the most fun as it just has a bad a$$ presence with some super charger whine. The 1LE as a bolton car was a blast. And the CA6 SS was most like a sports muscle car with modern electronics.

Based on the fun factor:
  1. 5th gen ZL1
  2. CA6 SS
  3. 5th gen 1LE

Based on a smart $$ purchase:
  1. 5th gen ZL1
  2. 5th gen 1LE
  3. CA6 SS

While I do really enjoy driving the CA6 SS I do miss the ZL1. But I do not miss the Recaros in the ZL1. I fit in them but they were definitely more confining on long trips.

Right now if something happened to my CA6 SS, I would be in the market for a 5th gen ZL1. Or maybe a used 6th gen ZL1 once they are out there.

Something about the ZL1 sticks in my mind just like that girl you used to know ......

LOL
Old 06-05-2017, 06:51 PM   #3
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
6th gen. Performance is there and the chassis feels great too
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
ICEing
Hugh Mungus WOT??

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Convertible Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Fact! From my M6 experince as to acceleration:

5th gen bolton M6 LS3 = stock 5th gen M6 ZL1 = stock CA6 SS M6

All three of these cars ran 12.3 for me with the LS3 bolton being slightly the fastest.

And all three were really fun to drive. The ZL1 was the most fun as it just has a bad a$$ presence with some super charger whine. The 1LE as a bolton car was a blast. And the CA6 SS was most like a sports muscle car with modern electronics.

Based on the fun factor:
  1. 5th gen ZL1
  2. CA6 SS
  3. 5th gen 1LE

Based on a smart $$ purchase:
  1. 5th gen ZL1
  2. 5th gen 1LE
  3. CA6 SS

While I do really enjoy driving the CA6 SS I do miss the ZL1. But I do not miss the Recaros in the ZL1. I fit in them but they were definitely more confining on long trips.

Right now if something happened to my CA6 SS, I would be in the market for a 5th gen ZL1. Or maybe a used 6th gen ZL1 once they are out there.

Something about the ZL1 sticks in my mind just like that girl you used to know ......

LOL
Wow this was quite detailed. Thanks for the post! I do love the whine of a supercharger. One of the best sounds from a car. Plus having the extra HP seems really fun, and I like the ZL1 styling. But I also love the 6th Gen SS and want one in a different color/hardtop as well. I may have to somehow test drive a ZL1.
ICEing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I traded a 13 ZL1 M6 for a 16 2SS A8. My main motivation was that the ZL1 was a rarely drive toy and I wanted to daily drive. The ZL1 is slower (M6 vs A8) and the 2SS more economical (fuel, brakes, tires). The 2SS is also just a better car.

I bought the ZL1 with the intention of daily driving it April through October. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

No regrets

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:40 AM   #6
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
5th Gen ZL1 (My current car)

Pros: Amazing presence, perfect exhaust and supercharger sound. The LSA engine is a beast, with a few mods for under 5k you can achieve 650whp and smoke hellcats.Good suspension and handling factoring in the weight and old platform.

Cons: Its a heavy weigh champ at over 4100 pounds. Interior isn't all that nice compared to the 6th Gen. Expect to be at a gas pump a lot, I currently average almost 10mpg. As Hotlap mentioned above expect to be changing your tires a lot. This thing eats up tires like the monster it is.

2016 SS

Pros: Alpha platform, light weight. Great handling and suspension. Refined and classy exterior design. Beautiful interior. Easy Daily Driver.

Cons: Not nearly as easy to mod as the ZL1 in terms of easy and crazy whp numbers.

Both amazing cars, In your position I would get the 16 SS. Currently I have on order a 2018 ZL1 1LE. Its going to be a sad day to see the 5th gen ZL1 go, but the new Camaro's are just simply amazing.

All the best, you'll be happy with ether car!

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:21 AM   #7
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
I wouldn't dare to change my 5th gen ZL1 for a 6th gen SS, maybe for a 6th.gen SS 1LE and definitely yes for a 6th.gen ZL1.
The 5th.gen ZL1 has a great everlasting muscle car look, has a very reliable strong bullet proof powertrain, has real rear seating space (6th. gen rear seats are just simbolical). SS are very common to see them on the street, but ZL1 are rare to see them, most people would give you a thumbs up. On other hand the 6th gen Camaro has a more nimble chassis and suspension, more lightweight compared to the 5th gen Camaro. The 6th. Gen is better in most aspects, compared to the 5th. gen Camaro.
My preference is in this order.
1. C7 Corvette Grand Sport
2. 6th gen Camaro ZL1
3. Stingray Z51
4. 6th gen Camaro SS 1LE
5. 5th gen Camaro ZL1
6. 6th.gen Camaro SS
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 06-18-2021 at 09:05 AM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:20 AM   #8
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
The gen6, stock, 1/4 fast list was just updated and illustrates my earlier point.

Average of 30 A8s is 12.17 sec. Average of 21 M6s is 12.49 sec.

The A8 SS is right there with the gen5 ZL1 and the M6 lags only a little. The 2SS is 400 lbs lighter, doesn't feel so large like the gen5, has HUD and available MRC and NPP. The interior is at an entirely different level.

After I sat in the new 2SS for the first time, and having seen the initial owners ETs, I immediately began looking to trade. The gen5 ZL1 looked dated.

Stock. It's a no brainier and the SS bolt on list is also taking shape with cars breaking 10s. Alpha's reputation as the better road course cars is proven

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #9
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
The gen6, stock, 1/4 fast list was just updated and illustrates my earlier point.

The A8 SS is right there with the gen5 ZL1 and the M6 lags only a little. The 2SS is 400 lbs lighter, doesn't feel so large like the gen5, has HUD and available MRC and NPP. The interior is at an entirely different level.

After I sat in the new 2SS for the first time, and having seen the initial owners ETs, I immediately began looking to trade. The gen5 ZL1 looked dated.

Stock. It's a no brainier and the SS bolt on list is also taking shape with cars breaking 10s. Alpha's reputation as the better road course cars is proven
Exactly how I felt about my 5th Gen while not a ZL1 it was a no brainer the 6th Gen was better in every department.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #10
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
I have nothing against the 6th gen. I think it is a great machine, but... when compared to the 5th gen there are definitely some differences.

The 5th gen ZL1 feels like a muscle car. It is brutish and fun and distinctive and in the right colors menacing.

The 6th gen ZL1 feels like a sports car. It is more refined as far as the drive and interior. You sit deeper in the 6th gen which means if you are like me where you like to rest your arm on the window sill when the window is down, you cant do that anymore. Also the rear window is definitely smaller.

I am still undecided whether I will move on to the 6th gen ZL1 from my 5th gen..

The ZL1 is definitely a fair weather car, if you want a daily driver get an SS.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #11
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post

+1
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #12
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
I wouldn't dare to change my 5th gen ZL1 for a 6th gen SS, maybe for a 6th.gen SS 1LE and definitely yes for a 6th.gen ZL1.
The 5th.gen ZL1 has a great eternal muscle car look, has a very reliable strong bullet proof powertrain, has real rear seating space (6th. gen rear seats are just simbolical). SS are very common to see them on the street, but ZL1 are rare to see them, most people would give you a thumbs up. On other hand the 6th gen Camaro has a more nimble chassis and suspension, more lightweight compared to the 5th gen Camaro. The 6th. Gen is better in most aspects, compared to the 5th. gen Camaro.
My preference is in this order.
1. C7 Corvette Grand Sport
2. 6th gen Camaro ZL1

3. Stingray Z51
4. 6th gen Camaro SS 1LE
5. 5th gen Camaro ZL1
6. 6th.gen Camaro SS
Yesterday I had an opportunity to double check my options mentioned on top after visiting a Chevy dealership, checking the new ZL1, looking at the 6th. Gen SS and driving a manual transmission Stingray, and here are my conclusions:
1. If I compare visually a 6th gen SS VS my 5th gen ZL1. Frankly I didn't felt emotional about the 6th. gen standard SS when I saw it, the 5th. Gen ZL1 easily steals the picture and performance whise too. But I have to admit that the 6th. in all aspects is an improved Camaro over the previous one, it's lighter and with new chassis and suspension feels more nimble while driving it.
2. Back seat of the 6th.gen is useless, only good for smaller kids.
3. The Recaro seats on my 5th.gen ZL1 are way more confortable than the new Recaros on the 6th. gen ZL1 or ILE, you need to be torso thin to sit confortable on them, for the track they should be great but on a daily driving eventually you would get tired of feeling the top seat bolstering pushing against your ribs cage. This was a mayor negative on my case. Too bad that GM does not gives optional seats like on previous years models.
-Then I saw the only 1LE it was a V6. The hood semi black vinyl looks very cheap and does not go along with the rest of the car. It would be the first thing that I would rip off the car if I bought one.
It's very strange that at autotrader at 300 miles range search from San Antonio TX, only one 6th.gen SS 1LE was available and it was used, and the owner from Houston mentioned that the 1LE is very rare he had to get his all the way from Dallas.

Either way I glanced to a green and a amazing looking white 6th.gen ZL1 at the dealership, and the white one looked much much better than the ones that I have seen on pictures, but just from the rear look it's very hard to distinguish it from the regular SS model. The only negative which I saw were the cramped Recaro seats, which kept me out of the waiting list. After I commented that, the salesman mentioned that another customer left because of the same reason. But trust me is an amazing car, I'm also a fan of Corvettes, but I would chose first the 6th.gen ZL1, if you consider it's performance and entry price compared to the Corvette's, this car is a bargain. Too bad that GM does not give you an optional seat like they did on the prior ZL1 or on the Corvette.

Now abot my experience driving a manual 7 speed transmission Stingray: I have prior experience driving 6 & 5 speed manual transmissions, and after driving this car for a short distance, I fell that the writers of some magazines are correct: It's very easy to miss 4th to 5th shifting and instead going to 7th. I consider this a bad design or maybe with time you could get used to it.
Also the clear top is not the best option for a hot weather like Texas. Leaving those two issues to a side. The Corvette is a great car. Probably wifes wouldn't dare go into the car wearing a dress.

Corvettes compared to our Camaros are better as weekend toys, because of the very low seating position.

In conclusion: The love for my 5th. gen Camaro ZL1 growed stronger after this experience, I think I probably would keep my car longer. Just miss the shifter experience, since mine has an automatic transmission, even that the car is faster, paddle shifting does not have the same, driver's involment.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 06-18-2021 at 12:42 PM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:28 PM   #13
2NASSTY

Drives: 2014 M6 ZL1
I could maybe understand this comparison better if it was a bone stock 6th Gen SS vs stock Gen5 ZL1. Modded there is no comparison.

The HP/TQ ceiling of the LT1 is not even close to the LSA, which is currently slightly higher than LT4. Not buying the Gen6 updated exterior looks over 5th Gen ZL1. Although I must admit, some 6th GenZL1 clones I'm seeing actually look better than the real article.

Very familiar with the Alpha chassis. I definitely agree this is a more advanced and nimble platform than the 5th Gen ZL1.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pPJwPk3uNjo
Attached Images

06' LeMans Blue Metallic Z06, 11.726 at 127.80 MPH Motor - SOLD.
96' Impala SS LTx, 11.397 at 118.10 MPH Motor, 1st stage 10.526 at 127.46 MPH
2NASSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:55 AM   #14
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
I think the 5th Gen ZL1 has one advantage over all others, bombproof driveline!