Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #43
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8RWD View Post
Every special Mustang that Ford makes, in its original form, has appreciated in value.

Shelby GT350
Shelby GT500
Mach 1
Boss
Bullitt (okay, was just a movie car, but it has gone up in value)

Ford keeps their nomenclature consistent. And like Dodge, they use catchy names.

GM on the other hand, specifically the Camaro, is a mess.

Transformers = Has no value
Hot Wheels = Has no value

And the real cool cars that they do make? It's full of alpha numeric codes that most people don't get. What's worse than "ZL1 1LE"? Seriously, is that marketable compared to "Shelby" or even something without heritage, the "Hellcat"?

Now, letters and numbers can actually work--if you keep it consistent over history. Look at Porsche with their "GT3". BMW with their "M3". Problem with Camaro is that on the 4th generation, Z/28 was ranked below SS. Then in 5th generation, the designations swapped in the pecking order. And, on top of that, at one time GM was trying to make the "SS" a performance moniker for the entire Chevy brand like AMG or M, and have been slapping it on Malibu wagons (that were getting outgunned by Camry V6), and even SUVs. And of course, they abandoned that all together now. Where is Cruze SS? Chevy Tahoe gets a performance version now, and is called "RST".

Who knows how long it will be before GM abandons "1LE" and other designations. It really is a true disaster, and I do believe in the long run, it affects their sales. Certain car brands, or designation of a model, can automatically aid in sales--just because of their consistent history of delivering a good product under the promise of the name.

GM needs to build some equity in their names. It has a rich history, but unless you're an enthusiast, you wouldn't know it.
Completely agree.

RST

Malibu Maxx SS was a joke. However, the Trailblazer SS was legit. Best SUV I've owned. It's too bad GM doesn't have an answer for the Grand Cherokee SRT/Trackhawk
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #44

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I've been oblivious to the whole Transformer connection...I know some 5thGens were Transformers, but I didn't pay any attention...I've never watched a Transformer movie.
Almost barfed when I saw some Transformer cars with an outer space language on them or something stupid like that...Anyway, I think there are some indeed who like the Transformer vibe...why, I don't know...It just seems like a little side-bar attraction...

But this SS refresh looks like they've run out of ideas for something new and the Transformer connection was decided to be the new route for a long time...This pic has been around for quite a while and sure looks a lot like the new SS front...

Name:  landscape-1465220092-camaro-bumblebee.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  37.9 KB
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:51 PM   #45

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Just for fun...read the posts...not popular then, why should it be now?

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...t=transformers
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #46
Navigator

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
I completely disagree. I'm a "professional" and drive a 2017 2SS. There are a number of guys in my company with Mustangs, Challangers and other Camaros including a couple of ZL1's. There are a few of the partners with deeper pockets with Z06;s and at least one R8 that I know of. On a nice summers day the parking lot here looks like a modern day car show.

Consider yourself better off by not choosing an A6, E-Class or 5 series. In most circles these are considers douch-mobiles and most guys these days wouldn't be caught dead in one.
I don't regret my decision at all and love having something unique that no one else in the parking garage has anything remotely close to (also sounds pretty awesome in an enclosed parking garage). But, I'd rather not be associated with a car that makes a "Hot Wheels" edition, although it's not reason enough to not buy it.

Again, I just think Chevy is alienating a big percentage of potential buyers with high disposable income with some of their styling/branding choices. I think Mustang did a great job making some inroads into that market with the 2015 redesign, although 2018 was somewhat of a step back for the Mustang with regard to design. Just because it's a fast, powerful car doesn't mean the styling has to be over-the-top aggressive; let the engine and performance speak for itself.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote