Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-09-2021, 09:17 PM   #29
seethruya

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 Conv
People keep the factory rims on the LT1? They stayed on my vehicle a whole 2 days.

Last edited by seethruya; 01-10-2021 at 12:51 PM.
seethruya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:51 AM   #30
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethruya View Post
People keep the factor rims on the LT1? They stayed on my vehicle a whole 2 days.
Yup, believe it or not, some of us use the factory supplied tires until they wear down before considering wider wheels and tires.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:02 AM   #31
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
W/O TC these cars would be almost impossible to drive.

I have only turned mine off once and it was like I was driving on an ice skating rink.

It was an impressive burnout though....
The first thing I do after cranking her up is turn on Rev Match, the second thing is switch to Track mode, the last thing before driving off is to turn off the nannies. You get used to it after a while and I like having all 455 hp and tq available on demand.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:13 AM   #32
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I got news for you pards, even with 305/20R30 GY SC tires you can still spin 1st easily and 2nd if they’re not warm.
And way worse in temps below 50 degrees than a all season tire. The ultra summer performance tire is only better in the summer and properly heated and this reference is regarding street use not a road course.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:19 AM   #33
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
And way worse in temps below 50 degrees than a all season tire. The ultra summer performance tire is only better in the summer and properly heated and this reference is regarding street use not a road course.
I have no argument with that statement and I'm certainly not advocating running the OEM Super Car tires. As you mentioned, unless it's warm and dry they're not a particularly good tire. I'm simply pointing out that even when you have tires that big, it's warm, and it's dry, you're still going to spin if you turn off TC and go WOT from a stop.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:29 AM   #34
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
The first thing I do after cranking her up is turn on Rev Match, the second thing is switch to Track mode, the last thing before driving off is to turn off the nannies. You get used to it after a while and I like having all 455 hp and tq available on demand.
I do not need some guy in Detroit to help me downshift. The ride is always in sport (since the LT1 doesn't have track).

And, you would be a pinball if you used all 455 tq on these tires. It gets squirrely with the nannies on and "mini fishtails" (which is what the OP was talking about).
Old 01-10-2021, 08:31 AM   #35
lt4camaro

Quote:
I have no argument with that statement and I'm certainly not advocating running the OEM Super Car tires. As you mentioned, unless it's warm and dry they're not a particularly good tire. I'm simply pointing out that even when you have tires that big, it's warm, and it's dry, you're still going to spin if you turn off TC and go WOT from a stop.
I agree and it depends on which car your driving, a stock SS or a moded ZL1. I also depends on auto trans versus manual trans. Take a cup 2 or the goodyear R rated 1LE tire, fully warm it on a 5 mile street drive on a 80 degree day, do a burnout to clean the tires and one should be able to dead hook on a stock SS auto trans car. Anything more powerful and spin is a issue.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:35 AM   #36
LT1ornothing

Quote:
I do not need some guy in Detroit to help me downshift. The ride is always in sport (since the LT1 doesn't have track).

And, you would be a pinball if you used all 455 tq on these tires. It gets squirrely with the nannies on and "mini fishtails" (which is what the OP was talking about).
Personally, I love the Detroit guy assisting my downshifts. Rev match is one of my favorite features on this car. I'm with Wyzz kid, I turn off the nannies if the weather is good and roads are dry. All the 455 torque can be put down through the factory 245s from 2nd through 6th in my experience.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:40 AM   #37
lt4camaro

Quote:
Almost the same for me, when I decide to get aggressive, off goes traction control and I have fuse pulled for NPP, I want all horses ready to go. I also drive with minimum rear tire pressure just to keep the low tire pressure light off, I want max traction at all times. All that and a super sensitive butt meter keeps me out of trouble.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #38
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Personally, I love the Detroit guy assisting my downshifts. Rev match is one of my favorite features on this car. I'm with Wyzz kid, I turn off the nannies if the weather is good and roads are dry. All the 455 torque can be put down through the factory 245s from 2nd through 6th in my experience.
Done it many times in 2nd gear (auto LT1 A10 car) after 5 miles of driving on the street mid day, sunny, 40 -45 degree days WOT from a roll all the way to the 6500 rpm 2-3 shift , no problem.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:55 AM   #39
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdGenNut View Post
Hahahaha....I think this is me in my Convertible 2SS with the air conditioned seats.... 😎
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #40
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:

With the 1LE suspension and the electronic differential I don't really get any 'mini fishtails' unless I'm going WOT coming out of a turn, even then it's not much. If I'm going WOT from a dead stop, in a straight line, I get spin, but no rear end wiggle.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:23 AM   #41
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
I don't know what to say...
Maybe I can drive more aggressive at times?

As far as rev match, I have that feature built into my right foot. Nothing like blipping the throttle as you're taking it down.

A10 might be different as far as traction so I can't comment....
Old 01-10-2021, 09:30 AM   #42
LT1ornothing

Quote:
I don't know what to say...
Maybe I can drive more aggressive at times?

As far as rev match, I have that feature built into my right foot. Nothing like blipping the throttle as you're taking it down.

A10 might be different as far as traction so I can't comment....
I have adopted a ton of respect for 1st gear in our LT1s with the nannies off riding the factory 245 runflats. I tend to lift off the throttle as soon as I hear the 1st tire squeak in 1st gear. As mentioned earlier 2nd through 6th will not spin with the nannies off in a straight away, providing dry warm conditions, abundant here down south.