Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #15
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000v6 View Post
Even though, I guess it's the other way around for me in the way that I'm a son and not a parent yet. But, I can't agree more. The one thing that when I will have kids I will give them is the best quality of education that I will be capable of affording, so only private school, and of course the obvious food, shelter and clothing. But, if they will want a car, or anything else along such lines, I will not buy it for them, just like my parents refused to buy me a car. Now that I know the value of a dollar and hard work, I have three cars, which I paid for by my self. I do not expect anything to be handed to be on a silver plater, and neither will my kids.
I too had to earn what I got. My first car had 88K miles on it and my dad bought it for 2k. I had to pay for the registration, insurance, etc. You learn to appreciate things more when they aren't constantly handed to you. A lot of kids these days have a sense of entitlement.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #16
2000v6

Drives: 2003 m3, 2000 camaro v6, 2004 s4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang_Killer View Post
I too had to earn what I got. My first car had 88K miles on it and my dad bought it for 2k. I had to pay for the registration, insurance, etc. You learn to appreciate things more when they aren't constantly handed to you. A lot of kids these days have a sense of entitlement.
Yep, actually come to think of it, I only hang out with friends that have had to buy their own first cars, etc. too.

I don't see it as learning the hard way. Had my parents bought me my first car. it probably would have been in a ditch or somewhere totaled. Spoiled brats don't appreciate the things that are given to them, but when somebody has to work hard for the things that they own, then they learn to appreciate these things a lot more.

I guess I just repeated what you said lol

The only thing that I see differently is education, since public schools suck nowadays. (But this is coming from someone that went to private anyway, so I'm biased) So if I ever have kids, I will invest in the best private schools that I will be able to afford for them
2000v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #17
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingincamaro View Post
So his grand parents bought him a corvette without even asking his parents?!!?!?!?!?!?!

i hope his parents take it away and scold the grand parents.
I would have kicked him out of the house and let him be a burden to his grandparents!
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #18
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
crazy
Old 03-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #19
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000v6 View Post
Yep, actually come to think of it, I only hang out with friends that have had to buy their own first cars, etc. too.

I don't see it as learning the hard way. Had my parents bought me my first car. it probably would have been in a ditch or somewhere totaled. Spoiled brats don't appreciate the things that are given to them, but when somebody has to work hard for the things that they own, then they learn to appreciate these things a lot more.

I guess I just repeated what you said lol

The only thing that I see differently is education, since public schools suck nowadays. (But this is coming from someone that went to private anyway, so I'm biased) So if I ever have kids, I will invest in the best private schools that I will be able to afford for them
I agree about the majority of the public school systems. Lack of funding and lack of caring on some teachers parts due to being underpaid. Working hard for the nice things I have in life (Camaro, goodies for the Camaro and all my home electronics) has made me appreciate it so much because there was a time in my life I couldn't afford the things I wanted. I could only look and dream.

I have a 12 year old son and I try to give him things he wants but there is a point where you draw the line. He also has to do chores around the house to earn certain privileges. He asked if he could have my Camaro when he turned 16 and my simple reply was...... I told him he might get a car at 16 but he might not get one until he was 18 like me and he would need to pony up the dough to pay for his insurance, etc. He said I was being mean. I told him he would understand one day and appreciate what I've done.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #20
2000v6

Unfortunately, stuff like this happens way too often
Old 03-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #21
2000v6

Quote:
I agree about the majority of the public school systems. Lack of funding and lack of caring on some teachers parts due to being underpaid. Working hard for the nice things I have in life (Camaro, goodies for the Camaro and all my home electronics) has made me appreciate it so much because there was a time in my life I couldn't afford the things I wanted. I could only look and dream.

I have a 12 year old son and I try to give him things he wants but there is a point where you draw the line. He also has to do chores around the house to earn certain privileges. He asked if he could have my Camaro when he turned 16 and my simple reply was...... I told him he might get a car at 16 but he might not get one until he was 18 like me and he would need to pony up the dough to pay for his insurance, etc. He said I was being mean. I told him he would understand one day and appreciate what I've done.
That's still pretty lenient but eventually he will understand
Old 03-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #22
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
I would have kicked him out of the house and let him be a burden to his grandparents!
Old 03-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #23
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Quote:

lol, I seriously laugh out loud when I hear schools have a lack of funding or teachers being underpaid
but good for you, you sound like a responsible parent with a style I would someday like to use raising children
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #24
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid View Post
lol, I seriously laugh out loud when I hear schools have a lack of funding or teachers being underpaid
but good for you, you sound like a responsible parent with a style I would someday like to use raising children
well, you're from SoCal... so maybe things are different there. But there are plenty of schools that could use more funding. And if teachers got paid better, maybe we'd attract more skilled teachers that can actually... ya know... teach.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #25
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
well, you're from SoCal... so maybe things are different there. But there are plenty of schools that could use more funding. And if teachers got paid better, maybe we'd attract more skilled teachers that can actually... ya know... teach.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #26
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Kids at private schools are exactly same as public school and education usually neck and neck and most private school teachers aren't any better than public school teachers
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #27
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Wow! When did this thread get a bump. I honestly haven't seen the kid in a loong time. Looked all beat to hell last time I saw it. I don't think it had been washed in probably a year. I'll see what I can conjure up.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #28
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
A friend from HS wrecked his Vette senior year. He was in a coma and paralyzed. It really sucked because he was a nice guy, even though his family had money.

I'm glad my parents didn't give me a sports car at that age.

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote