Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-30-2022, 09:02 AM   #1
KaMaRow

Drives: 2022 ZL1
After two weeks of ownership IM so confused as to the negativity toward Camaros.

But seriously, why is it that people treat this car like a plague? I must admit IM guilty too. Before I started really looking at them I was on the "oh its just a Camaro" and would keep walking.

So I have had My Zl1 for about 2 weeks now. I also have a 21 supra and had but sold a 21 3lt z51 C8 ( wow Chevy needs better car names) Now of course the C8 got attention everywhere it went almost to the point of being out right annoying. Even the supra still after owning it a year gets daily attention when I go out. The Camaro... Nada zip... not a head turn or anything.

Now Im not after attention that isn't my point here . IM just curious what it is about the Camaro that it seems like literally everyone hates them? I have owned nearly 49 cars in my life and non have gotten the hate or brush off this car does. My wife literally hates it and said so wont even drive it or get in it. The 1 time she rode in it all she did was have negative comments. My mom and dad who typically love when i get a new car and want to see it and ride in it... when i went to see them barely said a word and just said politely nice car but didn't ask anything about it or want to actually look at it. My brother literally walked out said oh a Camaro turned around and walked back in.

Gas stations not a word no one says a thing no one looks nothing and that typically is where is get stopped to be asked about cars. No looks when driving no thumbs ups nothing, it the strangest damn thing.

I have had on guy at a gas station say that is a shiny car what is it? I said a Camaro and hes says oh... well have a nice day and walked off.

Went to a car meet and no one even looked at it except a guy who knew what a zl1 was. there was also a garnet red ss there and zero people came over to look at it. They posted picture of the meet and no one even took a picture of either of the Camaros.

Like I said IM not after attention that part I could care less. I just find it odd how the car seems to be actively avoided by people and when you mention the word Camaro they just seem to have the light leave their eyes. I simply dont get it.

I mean yes its a zl1 but I think its a amazingly engineered car. Compared to the C8 I had this car is hands down the better performance car and handles curves like a dream. How does the general population just view these as junk cars not worth their time? Is marketing really that powerful? that chevys lack of marketing the car really hurt it that badly? and it seems every single review i see just harps on the same 3 things like a parrot that if they don't say them then their review isnt valid. IM guessing that also hurt the car hearing those things over and over.....

OH well just starting a conversation what are yalls thoughts?
KaMaRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:06 AM   #2
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
I haven't noticed any hate or negativity towards it apart from the general friendly rivalry with 'stangs. M3/4, etc.

I've gotten plenty of compliments on the car, everyone I've let ride or drive loves the car, especially if they get to drive it lol.
Old 03-30-2022, 09:14 AM   #3
xplct

Drives: 2022 camaro 2ss 1LE
I’ve always hated most American sports cars, I don’t look at anything unless it’s an upgraded version of the vehicle, 1le/zl1 zo6/zr1 or Shelby’s/roush, as far as dodge goes, if it’s not a demon it’s nothing lol. I’ve never really liked Camaros until this year, they grew on me I guess, if I didn’t need a daily driver I would have bought a ZL1.

Maybe it just seems like the car isn’t liked, because you’ve had so many different ones? Camaros really haven’t changed the design in long time. Just my 2 cents.

Whenever I get mine I’m sure I will love it!
xplct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:15 AM   #4
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I get plenty of looks, honks, waves, revs...lol Always someone to chat about it at the pumps or the local convenience store. Never any negative I am aware of, always nice and complimentary.

I even get "Hey, can you take me for a ride?" From friends, coworkers, etc.

Of course, there are people that don't care either way, that's ok too, it is JUST A CAR! Not negative, just not interested in cars in general. All good
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:28 AM   #5
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
I never had a negative comment about my Camaros (SS and ZL1). On the contrary, I always get the thumbs up and people even stop in their cars to start a conversation about the car. It's definitely a head turner and my wife prefers this one much more than my 2017 Mustang that I sold 2.5 years ago. Same with friends and family. I get many compliments at parking lots or when I stop at the traffic lights - to a point that it gets annoying!
Old 03-30-2022, 09:28 AM   #6
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
I haven't received negativity, but I only get positive comments from folks that know what the car is, meaning other enthusiasts.

I think that pretty much sums a lot of it up. Chevy built the Camaro for the Camaro enthusiast. The chopped roof, poor visibility, compromised trunk opening, lack of marketing, etc. are typically only complaints from people who are not true fans of the car.

I see an awesome chassis with mag ride suspension, drive modes, big brakes, Recaro seats, HUD, killer wheels on the 1LE and ZL1s, great wide stance. I see LT1 and LT4 engines that make big power and torque, E-Diff with lots of track modes. The car is freakin awesome for the money. The auto journalists give the car the praise that it deserves but I think the enthusiast market is just shrinking and people don't as much in general about car culture.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:35 AM   #7
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
It's just a lack of marketing. You see a Mustang almost in every movie. On the other hand GM build a fantastic car but lost the marketing game. Which for me is great because where I live you see a Mustang in every other corner (they are like BMWs), whereas our cars are unique.
Old 03-30-2022, 09:39 AM   #8
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaMaRow View Post

I mean yes its a zl1 but I think its a amazingly engineered car. Compared to the C8 I had this car is hands down the better performance car and handles curves like a dream.
This is interesting feedback, I would like to hear more of your comparison since you have owned both.

I was on the fence between a C8 and ZL1 and I just felt the ZL1 was the better bang for the buck. For slightly less money you get the top dog Camaro with LT4 power. Yes, the vette is a bit lighter and quicker off the line with the mid engine architecture but it just didn't feel that special to me, just another Stingray. The new Z06 does inspire me though, wider stance, fixed rear exhaust placement, better sound, etc.

What is the driving experience been like between the two of them?
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:46 AM   #9
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
My experience has been exactly the opposite, not saying I don't get what you're talking about but not as often as you seem to do. The attention has died down somewhat but not much, could be you really don't see them in my area.
Went to a car show over the weekend and everyone's head was on a swivel and not just a glancing look but starring hard and coming up to look and talk about it.....
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:11 AM   #10
Wobble Goat

Drives: Camaro 1SS
High production numbers with 7 trim levels that look very similar.
Most non car-enthusiasts don't see the difference between a LS and SS.
People have confused my SS for a ZL1 asking how much the ZL1 set me back.

My GTO is more of a head turner than my Camaro because there are so few of them still on the road.
Wobble Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:18 AM   #11
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
I experience just the opposite of what you posted OP. I get comments quite often. I've gotten people come out of their way while I'm sitting in my car waiting for my wife to come out of the store...to roll down my window so they can complement my car. I have not experienced any negativity.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:33 AM   #12
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Yeah, must be where you're located or something...

I used to have an STi, the Camaro gets way more positive attention vs that POS, lol. One thing is not many people even know wtf it is. I've even heard "They still make Camaros?" a few times.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:38 AM   #13
KaMaRow

Drives: 2022 ZL1
I guess negativity was the wrong word choice. More accurately the disinterest other then from die hard fans and the over all indifference in the car. It seems to get treated as if it does not exist. People seem to have no more interest in it then a run of the mill suv.
KaMaRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:45 AM   #14
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I have yet to receive a single negative comment on my Camaro, and have gotten quite a few thumbs-ups even from random people in SUVs, let alone Challenger or Mustang owners. Heck, there was even a Tesla owner who visibly approved of it with a giant grin and several nods after a little run...

What I see in your case is that a small part of it is where you live, another small part is the actual disadvantages of the car (back seat space, trunk opening etc.) and a significant part is that exaggerated modern "perception is reality" nonsense that means marketing trumps actual values and characteristics of a product. In this area gm has basically abandoned the Camaro since late 2018, so no wonder its recognition is uneven and scarce, apart from enthusiasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobble Goat View Post
High production numbers with 7 trim levels that look very similar.
Most non car-enthusiasts don't see the difference between a LS and SS.
People have confused my SS for a ZL1 asking how much the ZL1 set me back.
The 2019 facelift muddied the waters here (except maybe the ZL1 whose front end remained the same), but what other brand and model has so vastly different trims?

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote