Phastek Performance

Old 10-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #15
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
How's the Slim?

I use the Sony bluetooth remote - You can get others, but you have to use a USB dongle receiver.

Unless the slim added infra-red...I don't think so?

$19.49 at Amazon
It'll keep the USB ports. They are used to also charge the controllers. 2 hardwired into the unit so you could just get a USB splitter and hook it into the 2nd port and plug controllers.. WMDS.. Universal remotes.. what have you into it. They took out the card readers and other stuff that cluttered the area around the ports. That in turn made them able to slim down the fluffiness of the initial release PS3.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #16
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I've never understood the rationale for releasing a leaner game system. If you have a car or bike that can get better numbers in a more compact form, then it makes sense and stores more easily. A game system is going to fit on the shelf whether it stands sideways,is the size of a desktop computer, or fits in the palm of your hand.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #17
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I've never understood the rationale for releasing a leaner game system. If you have a car or bike that can get better numbers in a more compact form, then it makes sense and stores more easily. A game system is going to fit on the shelf whether it stands sideways,is the size of a desktop computer, or fits in the palm of your hand.
Same reason the Gameboy and PSP are like goliath to david. Things shrink, layouts can be better thought out over time..

If not, the PS1 would have been in limbo forever.. Heck, we'd probably all be trying to post our first post on Univac1..
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:35 AM   #18
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
How's the Slim?

I use the Sony bluetooth remote - You can get others, but you have to use a USB dongle receiver.

Unless the slim added infra-red...I don't think so?

$19.49 at Amazon
Ah good, I shall be getting one of these

As for how the slim is going....I LOVE IT! Except now I'm freaking tired because I was up all night playing metal gear! I was worried because I found a bunch of talk about overheating, but I just played it for ten hours yesterday, and it was still cool to the touch. Don't know what those guys were talking about.Runs GREAT!

And wtf is the deal with an extra new controller not coming with a charging cable! I got home, opened the case so I could put it on charge, and there wasn't a cable in itYou spend 54 dollars on that controller and they can't pitch in the .50 cent cable to charge it with!!!! FU Sony...FU.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #19
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I was actually more than willing to walk out of that store with either one. But after some research, and some of the guys on camaro5, I realized that there wasn't any problems so far with the slim, and I actually like the style of the smaller one. plus its cheaper.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:43 AM   #20
Double O Nick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Send a message via AIM to Double O Nick
I work at Best Buy in the Warehouse. I havent seen any new slim ones get return to get sent back to Sony yet. (Unlike the 4 360's a day) I say get it although I like the look of my original PS# (the energy consumption gloss black version) Also I cannot wait for Uncharted 2 which comes out Tuesday. My Username is Doubleonick... add me fellow members.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #21
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Cost of manufacturing. If you can save 5 ounces of material per unit, and you make 500,000 units, that's 2.5 million ounces of material you aren't paying for as the cost of manufacturing the unit. It also helps in shipping. You can fit more units on a pallet if they're smaller, so if you're paying shipping costs by bulk, your costs per unit go down.
OOOh, I didn't even think about the shipping part.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #22
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
And wtf is the deal with an extra new controller not coming with a charging cable! I got home, opened the case so I could put it on charge, and there wasn't a cable in itYou spend 54 dollars on that controller and they can't pitch in the .50 cent cable to charge it with!!!! FU Sony...FU.
i know it was a dick move by Sony for doing that, but they figured you already have the Mini USB cable that came with the console. the 360 does not give you a cable either they give you 2 AA batteries. if you get the rechargeable battery pack they give you a 9 or 10 foot look cable that connects the controller to the front USB jack on the console.