Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-15-2021, 04:43 PM   #1
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
MT et ss vs Toyo r888r

Anyone had either of these tires on their Z? I know ones a drag tire and the other is more suited towards road course but both seem to have exceptional straight line grip from what I hear.

If you had experiences with either tire or even both which did you favor more as far as traction goes? How well does it put the power down when aggressive on the throttle from slow roll speeds and launching from the start?
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:47 PM   #2
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
The Mt I got wouldn't balance. The got the new nitto 555rII. I am very happy with them. I have them on rear full time
Old 06-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #3
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
You might consider an ET Street R if you drag race. It is a DOT tire. My friend uses these on his Demon with success.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:31 PM   #4
LiqTenExp

Have the new Nitto 555RII on and couldn't be happier, drives like a street tire with the traction of a drag radial.

345/30R19 in the rear with PS4S 305/30/19 in the front
Old 06-15-2021, 06:34 PM   #5
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
Have used both. Can attest to Street SS being a pain for balancing lol

Street SS will definitely grip better. R888R will grip almost as good once they have a little heat in them. R888R feel better though at high speeds 130+ and in turns, but the Street SS hasn't given me any concern at 170+. The R888R feel just a tad more planted in case you needed to make some sort of maneuver.

From a dig I prefer the Street SS. Daily driving I also prefer them because they make a LOT less noise. The noise in the R888R didn't bother me per se, but it certainly is nice not having to hear them all the goddamn time.

My Street SS also have lasted me a lot longer than the R888R. I think at 5-6k the R888R were about done on the rears. The Street SS are at 6k and seem like they have a lot left in them.

I would like to mention I don't baby my car either. The miles on my tires are from aggressive driving and racing.

My next tire will probably be a Street R because I'll be pushing more than I am now.

I've heard a lot of good things about that new Nitto tire so I would research into that. For a stock car though I think the R888R work just fine. I was getting 3.4 0-60s everytime with them. If you're pushing more than stock though I'd say go for the Street SS.
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:13 PM   #6
Ls_Camaro

Excellent review man really appreciate the detailed write up. Glad to hear you had experiences with both tires this was very helpful.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:19 PM   #7
Ls_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
You might consider an ET Street R if you drag race. It is a DOT tire. My friend uses these on his Demon with success.

Agree on the ET street r that seems to be pretty much king for traction especially at the track with a 17 or 18" wheel I'm sure.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:48 PM   #8
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
MTETSR radial and Forgestar F14 wheels mounted today
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:46 PM   #9
MSU120

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I have the R888s and I’m extremely pleased. (I’ve had them about a month now.) I can’t believe how well they hook up. They put the power to the ground and the car handles better than the OEM tires. Zero complaints with them.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT—605rwhp, SOLD
MSU120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:55 PM   #10
Maro_89

Drives: High HP V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
Have used both. Can attest to Street SS being a pain for balancing lol

Street SS will definitely grip better. R888R will grip almost as good once they have a little heat in them. R888R feel better though at high speeds 130+ and in turns, but the Street SS hasn't given me any concern at 170+. The R888R feel just a tad more planted in case you needed to make some sort of maneuver.

From a dig I prefer the Street SS. Daily driving I also prefer them because they make a LOT less noise. The noise in the R888R didn't bother me per se, but it certainly is nice not having to hear them all the goddamn time.

My Street SS also have lasted me a lot longer than the R888R. I think at 5-6k the R888R were about done on the rears. The Street SS are at 6k and seem like they have a lot left in them.

I would like to mention I don't baby my car either. The miles on my tires are from aggressive driving and racing.

My next tire will probably be a Street R because I'll be pushing more than I am now.

I've heard a lot of good things about that new Nitto tire so I would research into that. For a stock car though I think the R888R work just fine. I was getting 3.4 0-60s everytime with them. If you're pushing more than stock though I'd say go for the Street SS.

I have the new Nitto 555r2 tires on my Hellcat and I’m not really pleased with them. They let me down at the drag strip and doing 40 mph roll races at the track they slip on me. I’ve heard great reviews about them so I thought I’d give them a try. Only positive thing about them is they ride just fine in the wet and handle corners decently but other than that traction wise not to thrilled about them since they don’t seem to work for me. Only able to hook around 50 mph with them and no lower. Mind you this is on a stock Hellcat too so I am somewhat disappointed with them to the point where I feel like there 555 g2s instead of 555R2s.

Definitely gunna look into the MT et street ss next. I’ve heard there was some sway at high speeds and that they have no speed rating but since you said you’ve took them up all the way up to 170mph plus with no concern then I guess it might not be an issue.

With the MT’s were you getting the same 0-60 times as you were with the r888rs or better?

What psi were you running the MT’s on the street and strip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSU120 View Post
I have the R888s and I’m extremely pleased. (I’ve had them about a month now.) I can’t believe how well they hook up. They put the power to the ground and the car handles better than the OEM tires. Zero complaints with them.

That’s good they hook up well especially on your 707 whp ss 1LE there man. What’s the lowest roll speed you can hit the throttle hard with them hooking and not losing traction on you?
Maro_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:32 AM   #11
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maro_89 View Post

Definitely gunna look into the MT et street ss next. I’ve heard there was some sway at high speeds and that they have no speed rating but since you said you’ve took them up all the way up to 170mph plus with no concern then I guess it might not be an issue.

With the MT’s were you getting the same 0-60 times as you were with the r888rs or better?

That’s good they hook up well especially on your 707 whp ss 1LE there man. What’s the lowest roll speed you can hit the throttle hard with them hooking and not losing traction on you?
Well let me come clean. I had the R888R on my ZL1, but not the Street SS. I have had both the R888R and Street SS on my C7 Z06 which is at 705whp.

First note the sway. I DID have sway above 110. It was honestly really bad and scary. I don't know if it there was some break in period, but I had constantly needed to take my tires to get rebalanced because they were so grippy they were spinning on the rim. I ended up gluing them with hi tac on the rim. Anyway at around 1k miles the sway was gone, and was noticeably less when I lowered the PSI to around 22-24. As time went on I stopped airing them until they got down to 16 psi or so then aired them up to 28. The tires don't sway at all anymore. Trust me I would not be going to 170+ if they were swaying.

I'm not sure why they swayed at the start. Maybe because I had them sit so long before mounting them, maybe because the balance wasn't good, or maybe they just needed a break in period. I can say though the last 5k miles they've been nothing but perfect as a daily driver (except rain good god).

I haven't been able to compare the 0-60s because my vette did not come with a timer, but I can say with certainty they hook better than R888Rs.

Everyone I know who runs Street SS runs them at 28 psi on the street. Then below 20 on the strip. The R888R when a little warm would hook for me even at a 30 roll. Like dead hook. The Street SS could do it at 10 mph. The Street SS last a looot longer than the R888R.
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:52 AM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
Well let me come clean. I had the R888R on my ZL1, but not the Street SS. I have had both the R888R and Street SS on my C7 Z06 which is at 705whp.

First note the sway. I DID have sway above 110. It was honestly really bad and scary. I don't know if it there was some break in period, but I had constantly needed to take my tires to get rebalanced because they were so grippy they were spinning on the rim. I ended up gluing them with hi tac on the rim. Anyway at around 1k miles the sway was gone, and was noticeably less when I lowered the PSI to around 22-24. As time went on I stopped airing them until they got down to 16 psi or so then aired them up to 28. The tires don't sway at all anymore. Trust me I would not be going to 170+ if they were swaying.

I'm not sure why they swayed at the start. Maybe because I had them sit so long before mounting them, maybe because the balance wasn't good, or maybe they just needed a break in period. I can say though the last 5k miles they've been nothing but perfect as a daily driver (except rain good god).

I haven't been able to compare the 0-60s because my vette did not come with a timer, but I can say with certainty they hook better than R888Rs.

Everyone I know who runs Street SS runs them at 28 psi on the street. Then below 20 on the strip. The R888R when a little warm would hook for me even at a 30 roll. Like dead hook. The Street SS could do it at 10 mph. The Street SS last a looot longer than the R888R.
I can attest to the sway. I'm on Racestar 17x10s with the 305 SSs, and I was damn near afraid to drive them at 28-psi on the street. Above 80, at WOT, they were all over the d@mn place. At a private test area I went to the 4-5 shift (about 105) and felt like the car was going to go off the road. SCARY. I lowered them to about 24 (for now) and about half the sway went away. It's still there, and I'll probably try 20 and see, but I'd rather leave the TC on and drive on the OEM rear wheels/tires than those. I can't even imagine driving down the strip (130+) with the SSs.

It's really only at WOT, so I just wonder if it's a function of the tire getting-up on the sidewall and just making the tread "rounder". I'm probably about 700 to the tires and wonder if the more power you try to put to these, at higher air pressures, the more pronounced the sway is. I know I'm on cheap wheels, and they aren't beadlocks, but even on the street I get tire slip on the wheels. I've probably put somewhere around 15-20 digs on an unprepared asphalt surface and have gotten a lot of wheel-to-tire-slip. I'm already about 180* slip on the driver's side. Fortunately - balance doesn't seem to be bad yet, but I'll be tacking them, too.

They hook pretty good. I am seeing wheel slip from as much as the 3-4 shift (around 80) and they'll spin through a roll from second. That's an improvement over the GYs but it's hard to get over that sway...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:06 AM   #13
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maro_89 View Post
I have the new Nitto 555r2 tires on my Hellcat and I’m not really pleased with them. They let me down at the drag strip and doing 40 mph roll races at the track they slip on me. I’ve heard great reviews about them so I thought I’d give them a try. Only positive thing about them is they ride just fine in the wet and handle corners decently but other than that traction wise not to thrilled about them since they don’t seem to work for me. Only able to hook around 50 mph with them and no lower. Mind you this is on a stock Hellcat too so I am somewhat disappointed with them to the point where I feel like there 555 g2s instead of 555R2s.

My experience is the 555r2 need some break in time and the PSI needs to be down around 23psi. Also you can't really compare a Hellcat to a 6th gen. I run the 305/35/20 555r2 on my SS and can 0-60 3.0 on the street with no prep.

Mickey Thompsons are not that great for the street. Have had them on different cars over the years. They balance like shit and only hook good for the first 500 miles or so. once the tread is balled up then they lose a lot of traction on the street. At the track they are great. It's too bad Hoosier DR2 doesn't offer more size options because I would take them over a MT any day.

Toyo R888 are solid but noisy.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:21 AM   #14
Flowtie1

KingLT1 I'm surprised you are running the 35's. You are losing some gearing. The pos mt ss I had were 35's. Personally I don't like the taller tire