Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-08-2020, 01:48 PM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano View Post
You shouldn't be having any issues programing the PCM as it is the same from 2017-2020. However, the TCM was changed and HP Tuners does not yet support the new TCM, which is an issue for trying to maximize the HP/TQ of the TVS2650R.
I'm having MIL (permanent) codes that keep popping up. I'm learning these might not be a big deal, and that they may clear after driving. Nothing I've done should have affected this stuff, but maybe my car's a little finiky and just needs to be driven to turn them off. I'm still working with Magnuson just to make sure everything's okay. My AFRs look good enough under the cruising around that I've done, so it might turn out okay.

There were some issues getting the OEM tune out of the car and sent to Magnuson for the adjustments. I wonder if part of it is I'm running an MPVI Pro rather than the newer MPVI2. HPTuners told me this morning I need to make sure I'm only running the BETA versions if I continue to run the Pro, so I have to wonder if that might be a tiny part of it.

The car starts and runs just fine though, so I might just be paranoid a bit since I don't even have 800-miles on it yet. HAHAHA

Fingers crossed.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #16
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Good luck getting to the bottom of the codes! That’s gotta be frustrating the hell out of you.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:50 PM   #17
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
The HP tuners issue is pretty simple but it seems weird at first. Obviously save your stock file. Buy the appropriate four credits for $200 if you need credits. TCM cannot be programmed unless you send it to HP tuners for an unlock. When you try to upload the file the first time with these new PCM's it will give you an error. It will prompt you to try again in 10 minutes. When you try again it will work. HP tuners will receive your VIN and do something to make it proceed. I went through this twice because I also programmed a 2018 Silverado which behaved the same way. Just make sure that you are uploading in a Wi-Fi environment where you have a connection to the Internet. That should get you fixed. Definitely use the latest version of HP tuners no matter what.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:08 PM   #18
Stefano

Drives: 6th Gen NicKey Camaro & others.
HP Tuners nor anyone else at this point is able to unlock the 2020 A10 TCM.
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:20 PM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
Good luck getting to the bottom of the codes! That’s gotta be frustrating the hell out of you.
You're right, but what was killing me was worrying something got fawked-up, like the PCM, or something else. Learning about these things has calmed me down a little. I'm sure it will work out, but I almost lost my sheett when all that stuff up and I couldn't get them to go away. It makes more sense why I am seeing what I am seeing now.

WHEW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
The HP tuners issue is pretty simple but it seems weird at first. Obviously save your stock file. Buy the appropriate four credits for $200 if you need credits. TCM cannot be programmed unless you send it to HP tuners for an unlock. When you try to upload the file the first time with these new PCM's it will give you an error. It will prompt you to try again in 10 minutes. When you try again it will work. HP tuners will receive your VIN and do something to make it proceed. I went through this twice because I also programmed a 2018 Silverado which behaved the same way. Just make sure that you are uploading in a Wi-Fi environment where you have a connection to the Internet. That should get you fixed. Definitely use the latest version of HP tuners no matter what.
Thank you very much for the tips! I really appreciate it. I experienced much of that stuff already, but it's good to see I'm not the only one.

Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano View Post
HP Tuners nor anyone else at this point is able to unlock the 2020 A10 TCM.
Yup. I'll wait on that. I don't want to destroy too much of the car at once, HAHAHAH.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 05-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #20
Spooky_SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Just down the road from you in San Jose, California. My camaro is almost paid off and am looking at mods as soon as I'm car payment free. Was going to go the NA route but seeing how many people comment on the easyness of the maggie I'm tempted. Plus, the NA route is so fricken expensive and limited when you consider the power / platform you get from the Maggie.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #21
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
You'll like the 2650, its a bad hombre.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:53 AM   #22
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky_SS View Post
Just down the road from you in San Jose, California. My camaro is almost paid off and am looking at mods as soon as I'm car payment free. Was going to go the NA route but seeing how many people comment on the easyness of the maggie I'm tempted. Plus, the NA route is so fricken expensive and limited when you consider the power / platform you get from the Maggie.
Probably the biggest consideration for me was CARB-certification. I've been 'round-and-'round with emissions blah-blah-blah and am tired of worrying about it. I could have stuck with porting the 1740, and pulley-up, but that thing is blowing hotter air after adding boost, and while it would be stealthy, if I ever get around to tracking this thing, I think I'll be in a better position, heat-wise (blower temp), with this over the OEM. This blower answered all of that, and more. Magnuson's always been on my radar, but after they showcased this blower, I was sold. The competition might have some small advantages here and there, but they wouldn't apply to my situation, and the downsides to the alternatives far out-weighed benefits that wouldn't suit me anyways. And - we're now seeing some of the apparent benefits of the alternative might be diminishing slightly, as this blower evolves some more, and the industry starts fiddling with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
You'll like the 2650, its a bad hombre.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 05-19-2020, 12:08 PM   #23
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Probably the biggest consideration for me was CARB-certification. I've been 'round-and-'round with emissions blah-blah-blah and am tired of worrying about it. I could have stuck with porting the 1740, and pulley-up, but that thing is blowing hotter air after adding boost, and while it would be stealthy, if I ever get around to tracking this thing, I think I'll be in a better position, heat-wise (blower temp), with this over the OEM. This blower answered all of that, and more. Magnuson's always been on my radar, but after they showcased this blower, I was sold. The competition might have some small advantages here and there, but they wouldn't apply to my situation, and the downsides to the alternatives far out-weighed benefits that wouldn't suit me anyways. And - we're now seeing some of the apparent benefits of the alternative might be diminishing slightly, as this blower evolves some more, and the industry starts fiddling with it.

Yeah that’s assuming it gets CARB certified, which hasn’t happened yet. I’m watching and waiting, as I live in an emissions hell also (Colorado).
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:50 PM   #24
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
Yeah that’s assuming it gets CARB certified, which hasn’t happened yet. I’m watching and waiting, as I live in an emissions hell also (Colorado).
Yeah - I'll crap my pants if they don't get certification, but I have no reason to expect they won't. Since they posted their intent on the website, I have even more confidence. They already have a bunch of other recent kits approved, so I'm not too worried.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 05-20-2020, 08:47 AM   #25
swisstyphoon
Former GM Technician

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 06 Silverado Duramax
Nice, thanks for the write up!!
I'm in the same boat, we have really strict emission laws over here in Switzerland. After I herad of the new Magnuson 2650 and maybe future carb approval, it was clear, one day it will be this supercharger for me too! I also like the factory look in black without the red Magnuson decals. I was even thinking about having a silver, stock appearing LT decal/plate made when the time comes...
Hope you get the software bugs sorted out soon, keep us posted.
Rotofab Big Gulp, Nick Williams 103, Magnuson 2650, 9.17" (14%) lower, 90mm upper, Vengeance Racing Heads (LME) Cam Package (Cammotion Stage 1), Johnson Lifters, JMS Voltage Booster, Lingenfelter high flow check valve, BBK shorty headers, Custom 2.75" down pipes, Gesi Gen2 high flow cats, MM catch can 791whp, 772ft-lbs SAE
Just added 30% XDI Injectors, LPE big bore hpfp, Flex fuel.
Elite tuning, results coming soon.

2006 Silverado Duramax Diesel
MPI Compound Turbo
40% over Injectors
Efi Live DSP5 Tuning

Follow me on Instagram: Swisstyphoon1980
swisstyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #26
radz28
Petro-sexual

*** Update: 05/28/2020 ***
I finally made time to get out of the neighborhood and take my little test drive cycle around my area. It was about 105* and just nasty outside. It was in rush hour, so it was a short ride and there wasn't much room to have a lot of fun, but WOW... BTW - MIL has been off since I last posted and while I haven't, yet, connected to see if the permanent codes are there, Onstar's monthly check-up just advised me there are no codes anywhere for anything, so that's promising.

After getting the engine oil up to temperature, rolling into the throttle (Sport with TC off) nearly as aggressively as I could be, the tires were starting to spin and I could feel the throttle closing (from the hit) below 60-MPH and in any gear less than 3rd. My PDR showed I pretty much never went WOT (I honestly didn't get much above 70 - lame, I know), HAHAHA, and the tires (stock GYs with 800-miles on them) were trying to spin. The car was great, in fact, never trying to perform a tank-slapper or missing a beat. I didn't bring the laptop to capture data, but aside from the additional power, there was nothing strange - no high coolant or oil temperatures. I didn't hear any pinging (A/C was off the whole drive and windows down), or any other anomalies either visually or audibly. It was just another drive, with a lot more power.

Bottom line in this update: The car is starting to scare me now, which is exactly what I wanted. It is in CARB-legal state (certification is still pending as far as I can see on CARB's website), and on Magnuson's canned tune. My wideband doesn't show anything weird, and though I haven't captured much data yet, I have no reason to think I'm going to find too much out of whack. After the warranty, maybe I'll add an LT5 TB and fine tune the tune, but I don't need much more power. I need and will keep it CARB-appearing and won't be changing much from where it is now (I'll probably add a catch can if I find Magnuson doesn't really care, knowing GM will). I don't know that I could be happier at this point with this kit/product. It is meeting and exceeding my hopes and expectations, and it seems like is putting me right in the window of making the power to scare me just a bit, without diminishing my confidence in myself to drive the car, and the car to assist me in keeping it on the road, safe. I'll add that I'm getting a little more idle-whine after putting some miles on it, and it's great. I'm not a fan of the crazy Procharger-type whine at idle, but this is just enough to remind me of what lurks beneath the bonnet, and the resulting fun that awaits.

Another update soon...
Attached Images

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 05-29-2020, 02:26 PM   #27
01cbr929

Drives: Which one?
I have to ask... did you do something to remove the check engine light you were getting? Like did you do the extra steps that Stephen12ZL1 was mentioning.

Having to ask bc I am considering this same setup.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:47 PM   #28
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01cbr929 View Post
I have to ask... did you do something to remove the check engine light you were getting? Like did you do the extra steps that Stephen12ZL1 was mentioning.

Having to ask bc I am considering this same setup.
It's a little complicated, so I'll do my best to truncate it.

I did nothing to remove the light since my post. If you buy the complete kit, with the Maggie tune, following the directions should be an easy experience.

In case you don't know, the kit comes with a Remote Tuning Device (RTD). It looks like an old Hypertech-type flash device, but all it is (as far as I can tell as an enthusiast, not an automotive engineer), is an interface that acts as the translator from your PC to your car. You will send Magnuson your OEM file. They will adjust it for their canned tune and send it back to you. You take your RTD, flash your car with their canned tune, and you're good to go.

IMO, stick with exactly what they give you, follow the instructions, and I bet you'll be fine. What I will say is the directions don't mention not reading/flashing/writing the tranny/fuel pump modules, so if you select to do nothing with those, you'll also have no problems. If you get the car tuned by a shop, then I bet none of this will happen to you. Like I said, I need their tune to get the CARB-certification, so that's why I went the way I did, and I'm fine with that. The power never falls off and I don't have to worry about too much else on the street, HAHAHA.

Hopefully all of that wasn't too confusing...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"