Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #15
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Something definitely isn't right. No dealer would block warranty on a stock car. If the dealer lied and GM did block it for no reason, you should be contacting a lawyer, not Camaro6.com.

The dealer isn't the one that blocks the warranty, GM does. For GM to do this, the dealer has to provide evidence to support the claim that the vehicle is modified or heavily abused. If the dealer didn't do this, then GM would not block the warranty.

Quote:
A Warranty Block will be applied if GM has determined that vehicle modification, damage, abuse or
odometer tampering has occurred which may impact all or select vehicle components or systems.
Warranty Blocks may be applied to the entire vehicle or select components/systems.

A Warranty Block may be applied if GM has determined that vehicle modification, damage or abuse has
occurred which may impact all or select vehicle components or systems. Vehicle modifications which may
initiate a Warranty Block includes Non-GM (Aftermarket) calibrations. If aftermarket calibrations are
suspected, Service Agents should refer to the procedures outlined in #09-06-04-026 to verify the
presence of non-GM calibrations in the vehicle.

When processing any of the above transactions, routing for GM authorization may be required.
If a Service Agent determines that a vehicle modification, damage or abuse exists that may impact vehicle
performance, Service Management should contact their Field Warranty Manager to initiate a Warranty
Block. Refer to the current edition of Bulletin #09-00-89-016 for the most up to date information regarding
the process for initiating a warranty block.

If a Service Agent believes that GM has assigned an incorrect or inappropriate Warranty Block to a
vehicle, they should contact their Field Warranty Manager.

Suspected Tampering(modding)

Documentation of Vehicle Tampering or Non-GM Vehicle Modifications can be used to reimburse the dealership for the time used to identify and document customer concerns that the dealership has determined are the result of tampering or non-GM vehicle modifications to a vehicle.

Tampering is defined as causing intentional modification to a vehicle or vehicle components and is not covered under the terms of the GM New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Tampering can include, but is not limited to:

-inducing an electrical component and/or system failures
disconnecting wires or connectors
-intentional contamination of fluids
Non-GM vehicle modifications include, but are not limited to:

-installation of non-GM accessories
-installation of suspension lowering or lift kits
-installation of aftermarket tires and/or wheels
-installation of “power-up chip” and/or non-GM control module calibrations.

Last edited by GearheadSS; 07-19-2021 at 03:31 PM.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:28 PM   #16
GearheadSS

PM me your VIN when you get a chance.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:57 PM   #17
sshady

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I'm in northern CA, Novato dealer sent in the report that caused the warranty block. I've been going to Vallejo (dealer where I purchased) to try and work through this, the service dept. at Vallejo are also flabergasted by this decision but said warranty decisions are up to GM corporate.

In response to the statement 'They can't void your warranty because you "might abuse" the car.' GM has said they can and have done exactly that. I've provided GM corporate with a copy of my original service appointment request from when I requested the alignment which included a link to GM's pdf of the 1LE supplement to show that my request wasn't anything weird, but no luck. The word of the service tech/manager about a perceived future intent is literally what GM corporate has cited as sufficient cause to not honor my warranty.

Looking now to find a local shop with experience working on gen 6 Camaros to get an estimate, recommendations welcome.
sshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:35 PM   #18
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshady View Post
I'm in northern CA, Novato dealer sent in the report that caused the warranty block. I've been going to Vallejo (dealer where I purchased) to try and work through this, the service dept. at Vallejo are also flabergasted by this decision but said warranty decisions are up to GM corporate.

In response to the statement 'They can't void your warranty because you "might abuse" the car.' GM has said they can and have done exactly that. I've provided GM corporate with a copy of my original service appointment request from when I requested the alignment which included a link to GM's pdf of the 1LE supplement to show that my request wasn't anything weird, but no luck. The word of the service tech/manager about a perceived future intent is literally what GM corporate has cited as sufficient cause to not honor my warranty.

Looking now to find a local shop with experience working on gen 6 Camaros to get an estimate, recommendations welcome.

Also,with everything else put aside here, why would a dealer do that? When a dealer performs warranty work the manufacturer pays them for the job. You're bringing the service department business which is the big profit machine for dealers. Why would the service manager want to deny warranty work and lost business?

All I can think of the manager is a d*ck and did it on purpose to piss you off and probably hates his job and doesn't care.

What does suck is this is like herpes on your car and no matter where you go it will be denied.

Also, how can you trade it in without warranty on it? No dealer will want it because if that person gets denied warranty work they're going to sue them.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:57 PM   #19
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Wait. Tell me if Im wrong here....
But the 1LE is marketed as a trackable street car.
There are separate oil recommendations based on street use vs track use. Hence the 0w40
The track alignment is offered for what now?
These are all options available to Camaro owners that litterally make the car desirable over other vehicles in the market.
GM has a Youtube video of a ZLE at Nürburgring being thrashed and turning respectable times for a track car... let alone a perfectly suitable grocery getter... provided your not going to Costco for TP during a pandemic.
The 1LE brakes and suspension themselvs are high performance items... the 6 piston Brembos alone are reason to deny your warrantee using that logic. Why in gods name would anyone need 6 piston Brembos on the front of a 3700 lb car? Unless you were going to abuse it?
Why would you buy a car that had 455 hp if you werent going to abuse it?
Why would you put 4 $400 summer only ultra high performance tires on a car unless you were going to abuse it?
Why would you want uncomfortable to get in and out of Recaro "RACING" seats if you werent going to abuse it?
Ill stop there but I could go on for another 1/2 an hour at least.
In my opinion you should contact an attorney. They (the dealership and GM) need to be sued for...
1. Misrepresenting the purpose of their car when sold as a performance vehicle. Along with warrantee, then denying you warrantee because you might use it as it was designed and marketed to be used.
2. The dealership has slandered you by accusing you of a potential act... which is in no way illegal... for which you have documented proof that you did not do. causing the corporate entity to take action against you causing you great stress and remorse for buying the vehicle, monetary loss due to the Broken warrantee contract which they gave then pulled with malicious commentary which now makes the vehicle unsalable.
3. Not only did the dealership misrepresent the purpose of the vehicle but then deceptively sold it with warrantee that apparently has no validity given the circumstance by which they randomly and maliciously removed it from you without compensation for the lost warrantee as well as the lost value of your vehicle. With zero evidence that you did anything other than the slanderous comments of a random employee having a bad day.
Im not being facetious in any way. I am 100 percent stating how your story made me feel.
My SS is a vert... I have no intention of taking it to the track...But why would I buy it if I had no intention of using its capabilities? And why would anyone buy a Camaro if all they have to do is state they think you might abuse it?
And for chissakes... Its marketed as a track car for the street. There are stated parameters which you could go outside of and violate your warrantee... adjusting your camber out of street spec is not one of them unless you were seeking a tire warrantee for excessive wear.
I am honestly outraged
Old 07-20-2021, 02:12 AM   #20
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
Wait. Tell me if Im wrong here....
But the 1LE is marketed as a trackable street car.
There are separate oil recommendations based on street use vs track use. Hence the 0w40
The track alignment is offered for what now?
These are all options available to Camaro owners that litterally make the car desirable over other vehicles in the market.
GM has a Youtube video of a ZLE at Nürburgring being thrashed and turning respectable times for a track car... let alone a perfectly suitable grocery getter... provided your not going to Costco for TP during a pandemic.
The 1LE brakes and suspension themselvs are high performance items... the 6 piston Brembos alone are reason to deny your warrantee using that logic. Why in gods name would anyone need 6 piston Brembos on the front of a 3700 lb car? Unless you were going to abuse it?
Why would you buy a car that had 455 hp if you werent going to abuse it?
Why would you put 4 $400 summer only ultra high performance tires on a car unless you were going to abuse it?
Why would you want uncomfortable to get in and out of Recaro "RACING" seats if you werent going to abuse it?
Ill stop there but I could go on for another 1/2 an hour at least.
In my opinion you should contact an attorney. They (the dealership and GM) need to be sued for...
1. Misrepresenting the purpose of their car when sold as a performance vehicle. Along with warrantee, then denying you warrantee because you might use it as it was designed and marketed to be used.
2. The dealership has slandered you by accusing you of a potential act... which is in no way illegal... for which you have documented proof that you did not do. causing the corporate entity to take action against you causing you great stress and remorse for buying the vehicle, monetary loss due to the Broken warrantee contract which they gave then pulled with malicious commentary which now makes the vehicle unsalable.
3. Not only did the dealership misrepresent the purpose of the vehicle but then deceptively sold it with warrantee that apparently has no validity given the circumstance by which they randomly and maliciously removed it from you without compensation for the lost warrantee as well as the lost value of your vehicle. With zero evidence that you did anything other than the slanderous comments of a random employee having a bad day.
Im not being facetious in any way. I am 100 percent stating how your story made me feel.
My SS is a vert... I have no intention of taking it to the track...But why would I buy it if I had no intention of using its capabilities? And why would anyone buy a Camaro if all they have to do is state they think you might abuse it?
And for chissakes... Its marketed as a track car for the street. There are stated parameters which you could go outside of and violate your warrantee... adjusting your camber out of street spec is not one of them unless you were seeking a tire warrantee for excessive wear.
I am honestly outraged
There was a thread discussing how GM is when it comes to honouring the track warranty. Seems like a lot of people had good luck with it, but apparently not everyone. There are definitely cases of the warranty being denied for bad reasons.

I also think OP should try to talk it out first without having to resort to legal actions. It gets expensive, tedious, and those guys can generally afford some very good lawyers.

Also, as I said, I highly recommend finding a good indy shop for the track alignment. Most dealerships don't know how to adjust it on our cars past the stock settings anyway.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:18 AM   #21
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
This sorta reminds me of the s197 forums and the MT82 in the early days of the Coyote. Some posters who had junk MT82s going out were having denied warranty claims to replace the tranny. They'd claim they were abusing the transmissions despite it being a known problem. Some of the cars were barely even broken in so they obviously didn't abuse it or do any heavy stuff.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:30 AM   #22
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Only options are to get a lawyer and sue or get rid of the car.

If what you are saying is true and correct, it would be a breech of the Magnuson-Moss act. Basically, you can’t be denied warranty claims unless GM can prove you violated the vehicle’s warranty with modifications. It does allow compensation for attorney’s fees.

But pursuing this would likely be a long process.

The real lesson to take from this is NEVER GO TO DEALERSHIPS FOR ANYTHING IF YOU DON’T HAVE TO. Don’t go for oil changes; free or paid. Don’t go in for alignments, air pressure adjustments, rotations, etc. Only go in for serious TSB’s or recalls. And make sure you remove all mods.

Go to an independent alignment shop and have them adjust to the specs you want. Try changing the trans oil for the shifter problem. Other than that, see above.

Last edited by Spaceme1117; 07-20-2021 at 05:46 AM.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:09 AM   #23
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
“Future Abuse”. Now ain’t that some Minority Report stuff right there. In the mean time they don’t have to do anything about you transmit issue. Quite convenient for them, wouldn’t ya say.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:12 AM   #24
GearheadSS

I think the dealer is lying to him about this. Either they are trying to get rid of a customer or there is something else going on with them. The car has no warranty block attached to its VIN. He could bring the car to our dealership for warranty and there would be no issue as according to the GMVIS, it still has the factory warranty.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:48 AM   #25
sshady

Gearhead- As I replied to you over PM, I can make an appointment for warranty repairs (I’ve done so at two dealers) but as soon as the actual tech gets started they call and say there is a block and they can do nothing without GM corporate removing the block or me paying out of pocket. Whatever limited view you have access to at GM is not complete.

Spaceme - your assessment here is exactly what I’ve learned the hard way. The service appointment that started all this was one of the dealer included oil changes, it’ll be the most expensive free oil change I’ll ever have.

Last edited by sshady; 07-20-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #26
sshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
Only options are to get a lawyer and sue or get rid of the car.

If what you are saying is true and correct, it would be a breech of the Magnuson-Moss act. Basically, you can’t be denied warranty claims unless GM can prove you violated the vehicle’s warranty with modifications. It does allow compensation for attorney’s fees.

But pursuing this would likely be a long process.

The real lesson to take from this is NEVER GO TO DEALERSHIPS FOR ANYTHING IF YOU DON’T HAVE TO. Don’t go for oil changes; free or paid. Don’t go in for alignments, air pressure adjustments, rotations, etc. Only go in for serious TSB’s or recalls. And make sure you remove all mods.

Go to an independent alignment shop and have them adjust to the specs you want. Try changing the trans oil for the shifter problem. Other than that, see above.
From what I've read Magnuson-Moss act only applies to aftermarket parts, of which I have none. Selling the car would be a $10k-15k loss based on the trade-in/car buying websites - maybe more with the warranty issue - so not super excited about that option.

I think the independent shop recommendation is the way to go, paying out of pocket for repairs and then deciding if its worth pursuing reimbursement.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:18 AM   #27
sshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
There was a thread discussing how GM is when it comes to honouring the track warranty. Seems like a lot of people had good luck with it, but apparently not everyone. There are definitely cases of the warranty being denied for bad reasons.

I also think OP should try to talk it out first without having to resort to legal actions. It gets expensive, tedious, and those guys can generally afford some very good lawyers.

Also, as I said, I highly recommend finding a good indy shop for the track alignment. Most dealerships don't know how to adjust it on our cars past the stock settings anyway.
The warranty and press that GM would stand behind the 1LE was the #1 factor in deciding to purchase the Camaro over a few other cars and part of my decision to buy new vs used. Love the 1LE and have loved my previous C5 Z06 but will never buy another new/warrantied GM car after this experience.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:34 AM   #28
Envious_Ivy1LE

Drives: Krypton Green V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshady View Post
From what I've read Magnuson-Moss act only applies to aftermarket parts, of which I have none. Selling the car would be a $10k-15k loss based on the trade-in/car buying websites - maybe more with the warranty issue - so not super excited about that option.

I think the independent shop recommendation is the way to go, paying out of pocket for repairs and then deciding if its worth pursuing reimbursement.
your figures aren't making sense to me. that's a lot of loss, are you talking MSRP vs current value, which also shouldn't be that high in this market unless you've had plenty of accidents.

did you just buy it recently? the loss also shouldn't be that bad. warranty on a 2018 should probably be almost expired anyways (3yr/36k part). I'd simply state to vroom or someone that the car has no remaining powertrain warranty and leave it at that
Envious_Ivy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote