Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-03-2021, 09:56 AM   #29
Dave777

Drives: 1985 Z28
Yep. It’s totaled and you are OK.

Look for another SS.
Dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #30
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Super sorry OP. That really sucks

Just want to state as I see this happen a lot on the interstate, never ride side by side with vehicles even if you’re doing the speed limit. It just creates a dangerous situation if one driver becomes inattentive or unaware of their surroundings or you end up in their blind spot (or they end up in yours). Either speed up or slow down but let the cars on your side go and always keep aware of your surroundings and leave yourself a way out incase something happens. I’ve had quite a few occasions in the SS where cars will do everything they can to pace me and ride side by side with me even when I speed up… well… that’s when 455 HP comes in handy…

Hope all this works out for you though.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:31 AM   #31
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
^^^ this, too. I keep telling my wife never to ride in trucks' and 18-wheelers' blind spots, even if their speed is good enough, as they can wipe her out in no time.

Call it paranoia, but after a very close call two years ago, I just slow down or speed up not to have any other vehicle next to mine for more than a few seconds, unless in a traffic jam of course.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:00 PM   #32
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

Just want to state as I see this happen a lot on the interstate, never ride side by side with vehicles even if you’re doing the speed limit. It just creates a dangerous situation if one driver becomes inattentive or unaware of their surroundings or you end up in their blind spot (or they end up in yours). Either speed up or slow down but let the cars on your side go and always keep aware of your surroundings and leave yourself a way out incase something happens. I’ve had quite a few occasions in the SS where cars will do everything they can to pace me and ride side by side with me even when I speed up… well… that’s when 455 HP comes in handy…

Passing too. I don't pass into another lane if there is a car directly in the next lane over from that.

Yes, this is why I like v8. Just hit the gas half way and leave everyone in the dust.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:18 PM   #33
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I just slow down or speed up not to have any other vehicle next to mine for more than a few seconds, unless in a traffic jam of course.
I ALWAYS do this when able, it drives me nuts when someone paces me in an adjacent lane... When teaching my kids to drive I always pointed this out and told them either speed up or slow down, but leave an empty spot in the lane next to you (an escape route), always have an out...

Couple years ago heading South on the 5 in North County San Diego, I'm in the 2nd lane from the left, 2 white trucks (pickups, lifted) are in the 2 lanes to my right, the furthest decides to change lanes and starts to came at the white truck in the lane next to me, he panics and yanks the wheel to the left (towards me), fortunately, my escape route to my left was open and I yanked the wheel into that lane (I was in my Sonata, fortunately, it has a sport suspension with low profile tires, so it surprisingly accepted the violent lane change at 80 mph... Lots of tire screeching but it held the road... I had to change my shorts when I got home that afternoon...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #34
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I ALWAYS do this when able, it drives me nuts when someone paces me in an adjacent lane... When teaching my kids to drive I always pointed this out and told them either speed up or slow down, but leave an empty spot in the lane next to you (an escape route), always have an out...

Couple years ago heading South on the 5 in North County San Diego, I'm in the 2nd lane from the left, 2 white trucks (pickups, lifted) are in the 2 lanes to my right, the furthest decides to change lanes and starts to came at the white truck in the lane next to me, he panics and yanks the wheel to the left (towards me), fortunately, my escape route to my left was open and I yanked the wheel into that lane (I was in my Sonata, fortunately, it has a sport suspension with low profile tires, so it surprisingly accepted the violent lane change at 80 mph... Lots of tire screeching but it held the road... I had to change my shorts when I got home that afternoon...

3 weeks ago coming home from work on the highway had a Concast (Comcast) truck just drift into my lane. I was in the left lane so had to go onto the curb in the media to avoid him. Likely fell asleep the way he was driving. Nearly took my mirror out.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 07:13 PM   #35
SnowWhiteSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Food for thought, I had a similar accident last year, did a pull a little too hard on a somewhat damp road on worn tires (complete lapse of judgement). pulled second gear and lost the back end for a split second. Saved it but side swiped a road sign in the process. Mirror, quarter, outer door skin, And lower side skirt had to be replaced. Both wheels were repaired. No airbag deployment or bumper damage but it was $14 grand in repairs. It was all sheet metal. Yours looks a bit worse, could be suspension damage and frame repair. That’ll push you over into the totaled realm real quick. I hope it is if that’s what your hoping for. I’m glad your okay though. Coulda been a whole lot worse.
SnowWhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:49 PM   #36
cdubbs

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Yeah I hear ya. Would have been impossible in my situation though, it was near bumper to bumper in rush hour traffic going home from work.

I was extremely lucky that there was only one other car involved, could have easily piled up 5 or more. Or could have spun out and got smashed by a semi as well. I feel pretty lucky with how the situation ended, although really unlucky with the whole event.

Still no decision from insurance yet, they've been pretty slow so far, but it is 4th of July weekend. I'm hoping for a lot more progress next week.
cdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:58 AM   #37
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:

Sage advice.
Old 07-05-2021, 12:24 AM   #38
VQ35DE

Drives: 2013 / 2SS / RS / L99
Total.
VQ35DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:39 AM   #39
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Front or rear solid impacts like that definitely usually end up totaled. Crumple zones hide alot of damage.

With that impact to the side i think it’s gonna come down to if you have frame damage or not.

If it cost 45k to replace they will spend 40 k to fix it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:55 AM   #40
Infamus

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
simple formula they use

Cost to repair vs salvage value

My wife's GLE AMG had a front end collision, cost to repair and paid by Geico was $29K and they repaired it. I was sure it was totaled. You may be in luck one thing that I was told as a reason that hers was not written off was because the air bags did not deploy and the other was the salvage value was high for that model.

good luck
Infamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:50 PM   #41
cdubbs

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Talked to my adjuster today, the typical criteria for my insurance to total is if the repair comes out to be 75% of the car's replacement cost or the salvage value + the repair cost is greater than the replacement cost.

The replacement cost is around $50k, so I would need $37.5k in damage to justify totaling for the first criteria, which I think is too high to reach in my case. My best hope is the salvage value is still high enough that it off-sets some of that 75%.

Does anyone know of a good estimate on salvage value for my car in this current market? 15k?, 20k? Any other bits of advice?

I guess if it gets repaired I can always just sell it afterwards....

Last edited by cdubbs; 07-06-2021 at 02:04 PM.
cdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:03 AM   #42
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
I had a similar incident happen to me about 5 years ago. The main difference is that I chased down the driver that caused the accident. Fortunately (sort of) the vehicle that clipped me on the left was an 18-wheeler that didn't have any damage, so it couldn't be chalked up to a "hit and run" for my part.

The buffoon that caused the accident came to a complete stop at an on-ramp (The highway had a 70 MPH speed limit and the cars were really flying). I tried to accelerate around him, and as soon as I did, the jackass started to pull into my lane (accelerating way too slow). So to avoid him, I veered into the left lane, and that's where the 18-wheeler clipped me.

After I finally get the idiot to stop, (flagged down a nearby cop to stop them) the cop told me that I should've let them hit me because otherwise he couldn't do anything. It seems like it's always the oblivious driver that causes an accident and then just cruises away leaving a wreck in their wake. And they wonder why road-rage is at such an all-time high.

Hopefully the OP got everything squared away. These types of incidents make me wish that I drove a tank.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2ss, accident, camaro, total, wreck