Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-12-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
tarik1985

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Angry Loosing my mind ! help please.

So after having my camaro for 2 years I decided to add subwoofers to improve the audio. I've always tought I had the base audio system in it since I had no idea GM consider the rear speakers as 2 for each one of them. Thinking I've had just the base system I went and buought a kicker zx400.1
400 watt RMS mono amp and couple 10'' Rockford fosgate 300 RMS for both sub-woofers that way I can just hook them up to the rear speakers with a non BA harness. Now I found out after all this time my camaro actaully has the Boston Acoustics system and I'm stuck with no clue to what to do now. I read the BA comes with an amp but I doubt it's good enough to add sub-woofers to, And I can't use the kicker amp I bought because it's a mono amp...
Can anybody please what can I do to hook this up ? I'd really rather not to return the amp or subs I bought because I got a good deal on them unless there is no other options.
tarik1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:31 PM   #2
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Well, the ZX400.1 has stereo high-level inputs. Therefore, you should be able to just tap off of your rear woofers and run those wires to the high level inputs of your ZX400.1.

It's not the best solution, but it would work just fine if you have the skills to do it.

Why would you not be able to use the amp because it's a mono amp?
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:42 PM   #3
coryrulez9

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS Blue Ray
http://********.com/product_info.php...roducts_id=204

This should do the trick. If you decide you also want to replace the BA Amp then get the full version below.

http://********.com/product_info.php...roducts_id=338
coryrulez9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
tarik1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryrulez9 View Post
http://********.com/product_info.php...roducts_id=204

This should do the trick. If you decide you also want to replace the BA Amp then get the full version below.

http://********.com/product_info.php...roducts_id=338

I'd rather keep the factory amp and just add another amp and subs in the truck. If I go with the first one http://********.com/product_info.php...roducts_id=204
Where does it need to be hook up ? does it have to be hooked up to the factory amp or just one of the rear speakers ?
Old 09-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
dishonored

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS
Loosing my mind ! help please.

Line out converter off the rear deck speakers. (Ties into the rear speakers and has rca outs on the other side. Then RCA cable is ran from the LOC to the amplifier and installs from their like your normal amp install (battery, remote, ground) runs the sub wire mount the woofer in the enclosure and then secure the enclosure in the car. I would recommend a universal bass remote be installed somewhere up front (my favorite spot is under the steering column cover) similar to this except I like mine to come out on the bottom almost always unseen. This will allow you to control the bass via the knob and not by volume or bass(tone) settings.

Pic of a general PAC LOC (line out converter)
dishonored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
I'd go with the full version, the BA amp sucks and gives no power, just leaving the speakers and changing the amp you'll see a huge difference, it's not too difficult either, I think you'll be fine but just not wanting to take the time. If you want it to sound good, take the time and make it sound good.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
tarik1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishonored View Post
Line out converter off the rear deck speakers. (Ties into the rear speakers and has rca outs on the other side. Then RCA cable is ran from the LOC to the amplifier and installs from their like your normal amp install (battery, remote, ground) runs the sub wire mount the woofer in the enclosure and then secure the enclosure in the car. I would recommend a universal bass remote be installed somewhere up front (my favorite spot is under the steering column cover) similar to this except I like mine to come out on the bottom almost always unseen. This will allow you to control the bass via the knob and not by volume or bass(tone) settings.

Pic of a general PAC LOC (line out converter)
Yeah so the ******** hernass gets plugged in to one of the rear speakers then the loc gets plugged in to that ? If that is correct then where the rca cables from the hernass go ?
Old 09-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #8
dishonored

Loosing my mind ! help please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik1985 View Post
Yeah so the ******** hernass gets plugged in to one of the rear speakers then the loc gets plugged in to that ? If that is correct then where the rca cables from the hernass go ?
The LOC wires/ties straight into the rear deck speakers. No need for that other piece linked.
Then run RCA from the LOC to the amp.

How this works. The LOC will take the output of the stereo (speakers) and covert it to a preamp output (rca). Connect the left channel of the LOC to the left speaker and the right channel of the LOC to the right speaker (using a 2 channel LOC here, a 4 channel would be a left and right channel for one speaker and a left and right channel for the rear speaker). Use a quick slice for this and them some electrical tape and you are good to go. No need to solder it and use heat shrink etc.

Once this is done install your amp just like you normally would. Then run the RCA cable from the LOC to the input RCA on the amp. Set the amp's gain around midway for a starting point. Play a song with some bass in it and turn the volume up to a comfortable level so that you can set it all. Most LOC's are adjustable so you should find a gain adjustment on the LOC as well. Turn it up until you hear distortion and then turn it back down until it stops. (Do not blare the music here just enough so that you can hear it and tune it up some).
Once you set the LOC up then move to the amp. (Btw on the radio I would recommend leaving the bass around 0. No need to turn it up any) now at the amp do the same thing. Turn your gain up until you hear distortion and then turn it back down until it stops. Make sure you have the setting correct on the amp as well if it has any. Such as a high or low built in crossover.
When you are finished adjusting the amp close up the trunk and move to the front to enjoy the new sub.

Remember that turning the gain up is not a bass control. People think more gain is more bass but it isn't. It may sound louder but this is only distortion. Bass is not the same as loudness

If you can message me I will give you my number. You can ask me any questions. It's straightforward once it is explained. LOC is around $20 no need for that $70 kit

Last edited by dishonored; 09-13-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #9
tarik1985

Quote:
The LOC wires/ties straight into the rear deck speakers. No need for that other piece linked.

How this works. The LOC will take the output of the stereo (speakers) and covert it to a preamp output (rca). Connect the left channel of the LOC to the left speaker and the right channel of the LOC to the right speaker (using a 2 channel LOC here, a 4 channel would be a left and right channel for one speaker and a left and right channel for the rear speaker). Use a quick slice for this and them some electrical tape and you are good to go. No need to solder it and use heat shrink etc.

Once this is done install your amp just like you normally would. Then run the RCA cable from the LOC to the input RCA on the amp. Set the amp's gain around midway for a starting point. Play a song with some bass in it and turn the volume up to a comfortable level so that you can set it all. Most LOC's are adjustable so you should find a gain adjustment on the LOC as well. Turn it up until you hear distortion and then turn it back down until it stops. (Do not blare the music here just enough so that you can hear it and tune it up some).
Once you set the LOC up then move to the amp. (Btw on the radio I would recommend leaving the bass around 0. No need to turn it up any) now at the amp do the same thing. Turn your gain up until you hear distortion and then turn it back down until it stops. Make sure you have the setting correct on the amp as well if it has any. Such as a high or low built in crossover.
When you are finished adjusting the amp close up the trunk and move to the front to enjoy the new sub.

Remember that turning the gain up is not a bass control. People think more gain is more bass but it isn't. It may sound louder but this is only distortion. Bass is not the same as loudness

If you can message me I will give you my number. You can ask me any questions. It's straightforward once it is explained. LOC is around $20 no need for that $70 kit
Thx man I appreciate the help.. I'm just not comfortable slicing/cutting wires because there is a pretty good chance I'll f*ck it up lol. I'd rather just buy a plug and play harness.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
dishonored

This is no slicing or cutting required lol. You literally almost cannot mess it up. It is a quick splice
You can even watch how to do it on a YouTube video. Even with the plug and play you are going to be adjusting the gain and all. Also I don't think that plug n play will allow any adjustments for the gain from the speakers to the pre-amp hookup.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik1985 View Post
Let me give you the answer you are looking for. If you have the Boston system, you need to get a FARK harness from ********. This will allow you to keep the factory amp and get RCA outputs that you can use to run audio signals to your subwoofer amp. You don't need a LOC, as the Boston system is already at line level, so no need to convert speaker output to line output.

To install the FARK, yo need to remove the rear plastic panel in the trunk. On the driver's side of the trunk under the panel and carpet is the Boston amp. Follow the ******** instructions, just unplug the harness from the amp and plug one side into the FARK harness, and the other side of the FARK harness back to the Boston amp. You now have 4 sets of RCA's Front and rear left and right. Connect RCA's from the front line outs on the FARK to your sub amp. There is also a wire marked remote that will can be used to turn on your amp when the factory radio turns on. Then, just put every thing back together and you are good to go.

This FARK (along with a speaker harness and rear speaker harnesses from ********)) will also allow you to remove the factory Boston amp and install a better aftermarket amp to get the most from the Boston factory speakers or power what ever aftermarket speakers you may want to add later.

Go to ********s web site and you can watch a u-tube video on how to hook up the FARK harness to your Boston system.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Quote:

You don't need an LOC with the Boston factory system....it is already at line level from the factory head unit to the factory amp. The ******** FARK adapter gives you both RCA line level outputs from the head unit, but also keeps the inputs to the amp intact. It is truly a plug and play install at the factory Boston amp with no cutting or tapping of any factory wire.

An LOC is only needed with the standard non-Boston system.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
habunow1

Drives: 2010 Yellow 2SS, 2011 CG 1LT IPF SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
Let me give you the answer you are looking for. If you have the Boston system, you need to get a FARK harness from ********. This will allow you to keep the factory amp and get RCA outputs that you can use to run audio signals to your subwoofer amp. You don't need a LOC, as the Boston system is already at line level, so no need to convert speaker output to line output.

To install the FARK, yo need to remove the rear plastic panel in the trunk. On the driver's side of the trunk under the panel and carpet is the Boston amp. Follow the ******** instructions, just unplug the harness from the amp and plug one side into the FARK harness, and the other side of the FARK harness back to the Boston amp. You now have 4 sets of RCA's Front and rear left and right. Connect RCA's from the front line outs on the FARK to your sub amp. There is also a wire marked remote that will can be used to turn on your amp when the factory radio turns on. Then, just put every thing back together and you are good to go.

This FARK (along with a speaker harness and rear speaker harnesses from ********)) will also allow you to remove the factory Boston amp and install a better aftermarket amp to get the most from the Boston factory speakers or power what ever aftermarket speakers you may want to add later.

Go to ********s web site and you can watch a u-tube video on how to hook up the FARK harness to your Boston system.
+1
habunow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #14
dishonored

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffa View Post
You don't need an LOC with the Boston factory system....it is already at line level from the factory head unit to the factory amp. The ******** FARK adapter gives you both RCA line level outputs from the head unit, but also keeps the inputs to the amp intact. It is truly a plug and play install at the factory Boston amp with no cutting or tapping of any factory wire.

An LOC is only needed with the standard non-Boston system.
I know this.... It works both ways lol. Saves him the $50 he doesn't have to spend.
One is plug and play one requires 2 tie ins and does the same thing.
You don't NEED the LOC for the BA system but it does work. I have done this many times.

They work the same way regarding the end result. One at the amp and costs more. One at the rear speakers and cheaper. Yet they yield the same thing.

This project just so happens to have two ways to skin the cat