Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-20-2021, 11:00 AM   #29
sshady

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
I think the dealer is lying to him about this. Either they are trying to get rid of a customer or there is something else going on with them. The car has no warranty block attached to its VIN. He could bring the car to our dealership for warranty and there would be no issue as according to the GMVIS, it still has the factory warranty.
Thanks for looking this up - I called my dealer service manager who has helped advocate for me throughout this process and he said he now sees the warranty block removed as well. I have an appointment to go in mid august (earliest available) to get the transmission inspected *under warranty*.

I have no idea what changed but I am absolutely thrilled about this - powertrain warranty is good for another few years so hoping this issue can be resolved under that.

The block was put on in mid 2019 and I found out in early 2020, so this has been a long, frustrating process but hoping it is now resolved. I'll update the thread after my visit.
sshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:16 PM   #30
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
I think the dealer is lying to him about this. Either they are trying to get rid of a customer or there is something else going on with them. The car has no warranty block attached to its VIN. He could bring the car to our dealership for warranty and there would be no issue as according to the GMVIS, it still has the factory warranty.
You have dealer access and see no warranty block on this VIN.

The OP has 9 posts on the forum (all here) and his user name is sshady. SS-Shady?

something seems ...shady.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:38 PM   #31
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I went to a good indy shop for the track spec alignment, FWIW. There is some special process to get the stock camber past I think -1.5 degrees without aftermarket camber bolts and so most dealerships and tire chains don't even know how to do it.

Guess there is also the benefit that the dealership doesn't have to know what they don't have to know. Almost feels like I am doing something illegal.

But yeah, as others said, I would try to sort it out with the corporate before pursuing legal actions.
The special process is to just knock the bolts back a bit to disengage the splined surface of the bolt. My alignment guy was able to get -2.5* on the stock setup without issue. It varies a bit car to car but any Camaro should be able to manage more than -2* at least.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #32
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshady View Post
Gearhead- As I replied to you over PM, I can make an appointment for warranty repairs (I’ve done so at two dealers) but as soon as the actual tech gets started they call and say there is a block and they can do nothing without GM corporate removing the block or me paying out of pocket. Whatever limited view you have access to at GM is not complete.

Spaceme - your assessment here is exactly what I’ve learned the hard way. The service appointment that started all this was one of the dealer included oil changes, it’ll be the most expensive free oil change I’ll ever have.

I never used my free oil changed from the Honda dealer I bought from. I certainly would NEVER let them do something like an alignment for track use on my car as well if I had a 1LE.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:22 PM   #33
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
I never used my free oil changed from the Honda dealer I bought from. I certainly would NEVER let them do something like an alignment for track use on my car as well if I had a 1LE.
My wife was ready to have me give up doing some of the maintenance work when we bought our 2010 Legacy 2.5GT (we were early-60s at the time). But after the 4th freebie and when for the second time the oil change tech had crimped the new filter on installation to the point where the filter started leaking about 1000 miles later, she was as adamant as me that the dealership would only get TSB or recall work if there was the least chance I could do it myself. I still had to replace the filter myself each time, wasn't going to trust them again but was willing to give them a second chance next time around. Fail.

The leak at the top was theirs. I poke a hole in the bottom to let oil in the filter and in the oil passages above to drain out before removing it (it screws upward from underneath). Both filters shown.

Some day maybe I'll describe how the same dealer - allegedly Subaru's flagship dealership being right down the road from Subaru's US headquarters - let this happen during a routine tire rotation . . . fortunately I caught that one in time.

Norm
Old 07-20-2021, 06:57 PM   #34
sshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
My wife was ready to have me give up doing some of the maintenance work when we bought our 2010 Legacy 2.5GT (we were early-60s at the time). But after the 4th freebie and when for the second time the oil change tech had crimped the new filter on installation to the point where the filter started leaking about 1000 miles later, she was as adamant as me that the dealership would only get TSB or recall work if there was the least chance I could do it myself. I still had to replace the filter myself each time, wasn't going to trust them again but was willing to give them a second chance next time around. Fail.

The leak at the top was theirs. I poke a hole in the bottom to let oil in the filter and in the oil passages above to drain out before removing it (it screws upward from underneath). Both filters shown.

Some day maybe I'll describe how the same dealer - allegedly Subaru's flagship dealership being right down the road from Subaru's US headquarters - let this happen during a routine tire rotation . . . fortunately I caught that one in time.

Norm
Well that is disappointing. I had new tires torqued on so tight by a shop I broke two sockets trying to get the lugs off, on the up side I had a good excuse to get one of these...

I actually enjoy working on my vehicles quite a bit, rebuilt a manual transmission for my race car (T45 out of a mustang), engine swaps, etc., but working on a stripped down early 2000's era race car is a different beast than a 2018 1LE. Also, there is the principle of the thing... I paid for a car with a warranty.

Good news is I have an appointment to get the transmission inspected under warranty in mid-August, so hoping I can report a great end to this saga.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:46 PM   #35
weemus

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
The story still doesn’t add up in any facet. Shady....

Probably a Mach 1 owner trolling.
weemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:39 PM   #36
sshady

Update on this, my warranty was unblocked and my dealer has checked out the transmission issue I've been having and will be replacing the 2nd gear under warranty. Parts are backordered without an ETA, but the wheels are in motion, so I'm a happy customer.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:57 PM   #37
1fastz28

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Update on this, my warranty was unblocked and my dealer has checked out the transmission issue I've been having and will be replacing the 2nd gear under warranty. Parts are backordered without an ETA, but the wheels are in motion, so I'm a happy customer.
Glad you got this sorted out.
1fastz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:08 PM   #38
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
I was going to post in here (until I saw it was a year old thread) that bent shift forks are pretty simple to replace. Much cheaper than a new transmission. They are usually caused by aftermarket shifters that don't have limiters built in, and you end up power-shifting so hard that you bend the shift fork. It can happen on new ones though if they are a little out of spec.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:30 PM   #39
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
How did I miss this action-packed thread until now???

Old 05-18-2022, 12:23 AM   #40
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I've also had the dealers refuse to set the track alignment, as provided in the supplement.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:41 AM   #41
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I've also had the dealers refuse to set the track alignment, as provided in the supplement.
What was their rationale?

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:25 AM   #42
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
I had a block put on my Grand Cherokee too by my dealer. The request by the dealer to lift the block was simple, just an inspection. They approved the block to be lifted, but it was surprisingly difficult to actually get it lifted so I could buy an extended warranty. Finally got it worked out, but took weeks and 3 different dealerships to get it removed once approved.

Never been through that in my life, was funny seeing your updated thred here. Glad you got it lifted eventually.