Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-08-2021, 09:18 AM   #1
Uk2019
UK2019

Drives: Camaro 2017 2ss/eu spec convertible
Gds2 via vcx nano

Couldn't find many/any threads so thought I'd post my experiences of this device. I should probably mention that I'm not in any way affiliated with the company and bought the item for about 80gbp which is about 130usd.

Having owned multiple VAG cars before and a version of vcds/vagcom, I was keen to own some dealer level software in case I ever needed to diagnose or fix problems with my camaro. The vcx nano is the hardware to connect a (cracked) version of gds2 to the car. Installation is complicated and required a few tries but worked eventually. The software itself is identical to the dealer GM diagnostic software and can read all of the installed modules on the car (something more generic obd2 devices can't) including the engine, trans, bcm, roof module, suspension module etc. About 30 modules in total.

The gds2 software only let's you read and test functions and apply some limited adaption-type changes (for those familiar with vcds it's the equivalent of output tests and adaption but no coding). It's useful for fault finding and testing (e.g. If the convertible roof was faulty and I needed to work out which sensor needed replacing).The vcx nano device should also allow me to use the sds service if I do need to replace a coded part or update software but this is a paid subscription service via acdelco and not something I've tried yet.

Any questions, feel free to send me a message.
Uk2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:23 AM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Well this is unsettling.
Attached Images

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:57 AM   #3
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
I have one and I've been trying for half a year to get it to reliably connect without dropping out and GDS saying it lost the connection. I've tried 50 million different combinations for ports and settings until I couldn't take it anymore and gave up.

Its insane to me how much aftermarket support there is for BMWs and Audi's especially in how much ability they have to change BCM type functions. You would think those kinds of cars would be way harder to do that kind of stuff but apparently not. I guess we do have pretty good HP Tuners and EFI Live support, but I think they have the same thing too with even more support and functionality.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:06 PM   #4
Uk2019
UK2019

I was surprised by the lack of alternatives too and looked into hp tuners and efi live but I'm pretty sure they still can't access all of the modules like the convertible top module.

I used an old Windows 8 laptop, reinstalled Windows and am using it just for the vcx nano and some Mercedes software for the mrs slk 55. So far no connection issues but it's early days
Old 08-09-2021, 04:41 PM   #5
cmitchell17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk2019 View Post
I was surprised by the lack of alternatives too and looked into hp tuners and efi live but I'm pretty sure they still can't access all of the modules like the convertible top module.

I used an old Windows 8 laptop, reinstalled Windows and am using it just for the vcx nano and some Mercedes software for the mrs slk 55. So far no connection issues but it's early days
EFI Live and HP Tuners can do a few little things, but most of their stuff is broken especially on the newer GEN V stuff and newer ECMs.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:44 PM   #6
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
It's not a virus, its because of what is used to crack the GDS2 software. The right way to do it is to install VMWare on your PC or Mac, and then build a Windows 7 VM and install the application. I've done this and used GDS2 for over the internet updates and the Tech 2 for module controls. The VM is isolated and shut down when not in use. No fear of viruses.
Megahurtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:33 AM   #7
Uk2019
UK2019

@megahurtz, thanks for the information. I can also confirm that the vcx nano works for sps programming via the acdelco site - I updated the software on one of my modules today and it went without any problems.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:10 PM   #8
1 Hot Red

Drives: 2021 Riverside blue 2SS 1LE
@megahurtz, I have a vcx nano wifi I mostly use the wired Connection when I first got it everything ran smoothly as far as GDS2 and tech2(for older gm cars I own) but last time I tired using it both programs would just shut down during communicating status need to try it again definitely will go the Vmware route thanks for that tip
1 Hot Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:01 PM   #9
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
It's not a virus, its because of what is used to crack the GDS2 software. The right way to do it is to install VMWare on your PC or Mac, and then build a Windows 7 VM and install the application. I've done this and used GDS2 for over the internet updates and the Tech 2 for module controls. The VM is isolated and shut down when not in use. No fear of viruses.
Hey thanks Megahurtz for the insight and also the VM suggestion.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:18 AM   #10
cmitchell17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Hot Red View Post
@megahurtz, I have a vcx nano wifi I mostly use the wired Connection when I first got it everything ran smoothly as far as GDS2 and tech2(for older gm cars I own) but last time I tired using it both programs would just shut down during communicating status need to try it again definitely will go the Vmware route thanks for that tip
Same thing is happening to me and I am running it in the virtual machine that came with the VX diag.

Its good to know people have successfully used it to flash modules as well. I wonder though after it connects to TIS web if that raises any flags or if there is any mismatch between systems as the VM is a Chinese machine that resets time each time its booted up.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:01 AM   #11
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
Same thing is happening to me and I am running it in the virtual machine that came with the VX diag.

Its good to know people have successfully used it to flash modules as well. I wonder though after it connects to TIS web if that raises any flags or if there is any mismatch between systems as the VM is a Chinese machine that resets time each time its booted up.
I didn't actually use the Chinese VM that you can download from their website. I built my own Win7 VM and installed the software in a specific order. I had to try 2 or 3 times to get it to work properly but eventually the correct order worked.

This may be a little beyond some peoples patience level. But I am in IT for a living so it wasn't a big deal for me. Others may not have the same success.
Megahurtz is online now   Reply With Quote