Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #29
tstodii

Drives: White 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
For the price of one of those, he could step into a V8 SS of the same year or slightly newer. Those Q50's/Q60's are not bad cars, but they don't compare to the Camaro when it comes to the styling or the V8 muscle car like rumble of the SS IMHO.
It was a complete off the wall suggestion but shouldn't be overlooked. Brand new Qs are overpriced for sure but you can find used 17+ Q50 with low miles for under $25k. I have even seen them as low as $18.5k when I was shopping around. The 3.0 is a steal for under 25k IMO. Oh and the treatment you get from the Infiniti dealerships makes Chevy look worse than a KIA dealer back in the 90's.... lol (we still have a Silverado ha!)

The V8 rumble I miss for sure but not the 3-6mpg I was getting with my 30 mile round trip commute in dead stop traffic. The Z/28 was a beast but needing to fill up 2x a week and only driving it 3-4 days a week got old quick. Should've just got a beater and kept the Z but oh well lol.

Also, OP has a V6 so shouldn't be an issue missing something that wasn't there to begin with lol.

*end long off the wall post*
tstodii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #30
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
IMO, if you are living check to check the last thing you need is another car. If there is a TSB on your issue, let the dealer fix it. Just make sure you take the time to find the right TSB to take with you. Also let the dealer know not to make any repairs outside the scope of the TSB. Hopefully you will be able to get the car paid for, and get yourself out of debt.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #31
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
IMO, if you are living check to check the last thing you need is another car. If there is a TSB on your issue, let the dealer fix it. Just make sure you take the time to find the right TSB to take with you. Also let the dealer know not to make any repairs outside the scope of the TSB. Hopefully you will be able to get the car paid for, and get yourself out of debt.
That is what I'm thinking. First, giving things a shot with the VTC removed. I'm not sure it TSBs are covered, or just guides, but either way I anticipate the visit to cost a few bucks, so I'd like to try and resolve it on my own.

But you are right, if this crops up again, I just need to make it clear that I only want the one thing addressed. My family is suggesting I get into something with a warranty, with payments...and I just want no payments (and this specific Camaro).
Old 12-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #32
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstodii View Post
It was a complete off the wall suggestion but shouldn't be overlooked. Brand new Qs are overpriced for sure but you can find used 17+ Q50 with low miles for under $25k. I have even seen them as low as $18.5k when I was shopping around. The 3.0 is a steal for under 25k IMO. Oh and the treatment you get from the Infiniti dealerships makes Chevy look worse than a KIA dealer back in the 90's.... lol (we still have a Silverado ha!)

The V8 rumble I miss for sure but not the 3-6mpg I was getting with my 30 mile round trip commute in dead stop traffic. The Z/28 was a beast but needing to fill up 2x a week and only driving it 3-4 days a week got old quick. Should've just got a beater and kept the Z but oh well lol.

Also, OP has a V6 so shouldn't be an issue missing something that wasn't there to begin with lol.

*end long off the wall post*
This is all a very interesting suggestion! I will keep Infiniti's in mind for cross shopping, they do appeal to me.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #33
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
This is all a very interesting suggestion! I will keep Infiniti's in mind for cross shopping, they do appeal to me.
Anything from a luxury brand, especially an overseas one, is going to have a very high cost for parts.

While the initial cost of the car might not be terrible, routine maintenance items can be 3x or even 4x what your domestic Chevy prices will be.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #34
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
That is what I'm thinking. First, giving things a shot with the VTC removed. I'm not sure it TSBs are covered, or just guides, but either way I anticipate the visit to cost a few bucks, so I'd like to try and resolve it on my own.

But you are right, if this crops up again, I just need to make it clear that I only want the one thing addressed. My family is suggesting I get into something with a warranty, with payments...and I just want no payments (and this specific Camaro).
TSBs are not covered, only recalls are covered under warranty. TSBs are just there to help technicians with common problems they may otherwise overlook

Hopefully your issue was just the throttle controller, but if your spark plugs are fouling out from too much fuel I'll let you know that these are injectors are known to start leaking. Many shops are going to recommend replacing all 6, but at the very least if that's the issue you'll need to reseal all the ones you don't replace, also many of the fuel lines are not reusable. Meaning you take it off to swap an injector to test? or just replace one? you're going to need some new fuel lines. they have one-time pressure fittings, and that's not something you want to risk leaking at those pressures
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:04 AM   #35
NJScorpio

Two mornings in a row...no issues.

In fact, my idle feels a bit more smooth, and I no longer have that "clunk" feeling if I lift off of throttle, then happen to reapply, and it's timed oddly with the transmission shift. Not sure if that makes sense. Regardless, it seems like something was not operating right even when the CEL wasn't triggered. Or not (see sig).

What I do feel confident in saying is, include me in the camp of EX-VTC users, whose CEL/Reduced Power/Misfire issues were resolved by removing it (for now).
Old 12-12-2019, 07:54 PM   #36
punk5150

Drives: 2014 SS/RS CRT
Call Jerry’s speed shop in Fords New Jersey and see what he can do. He specializes in 5th gens and won’t do you wrong. He is 5 minutes from Exit 10 off the New Jersey Turnpike.
punk5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:36 AM   #37
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
OP, you had the right notion to trade your car if you think that it will continue to give you problems later down the road. The modern car tends to be very reliable, and there are several reliable models (even within the Chevy line) that are available.

If you are a Camaro fan and you want to continue to drive one, then this is a great opportunity to own a v8 Camaro. Well cared for examples should also be plentiful in the market, and if gas prices aren't an issue, then you should be thoroughly entertained by a potent v8 Camaro.

Good luck.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:01 AM   #38
tstodii

Drives: White 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Anything from a luxury brand, especially an overseas one, is going to have a very high cost for parts.

While the initial cost of the car might not be terrible, routine maintenance items can be 3x or even 4x what your domestic Chevy prices will be.
This is essentially a "luxury" Nissan. VR30DTT motors can be picked up from $1500 - $4000. From what I've seen, replacement parts(factory or upgraded) fall in line with the Camaro or slightly cheaper. The main reasons I bought this car was the factory provided 400hp, brembos(albeit small brembos), price to mod, reliability and overall cost of ownership. Getting 22.5 avg mpg in the same stop and go traffic that I was squeezing 3-6mpg is a huge cost savings. Again, the op doesn't have a 7.0l V8 so my point is mute lol...

Nothing to do with the quote above but I would also agree that buying a new car when living check to check isn't wise but there are exceptions to the case. If the cost to repair and keep the car on the road cost more than a used car payment with warranty, then I would have to take a long hard look at the used car market.

Good luck OP.

Cheers!
tstodii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:10 AM   #39
NJScorpio

For those interested in an update...

Two days after my last post, I was having misfire issues just going to get coffee Saturday morning. I ended up at the Nissan dealership I mentioned earlier, looking at a 2018 LT1. $22k, just under 6k miles. It seemed to have been taken care of very well, still having the protective film on the touch screen.

I knew the repair to the 2012 could be $500...could be $1,500...and that might not even resolve it. I knew I wanted something reliable, that if I had to run someone to the hospital, that wouldn't be the one time in 3 months that I get a CEL and limp mode. So I made the deal, and even got a new set of snow tires installed for $325 (in additional to the stock all seasons). I checked out my 2012's dash cam after the fact, in setting it up for the new car, and I caught a recording of the used car tec running the codes and talking on speaker phone with his boss. It sounds like they felt the same thing, that it was related to the 5th fuel injector, and it could be a relatively minor fix or a pricey fix, but that it's "not the end of the world".

I haven't gotten used to the turbo 4...I miss the low end power at parking lot speeds with the v6, and power delivery is very...peaky...but the car is still fun. What really struck me is how well it handles, feeling much more nimble than the 2012.

If anyone is interested...they listed my old 2012, I'm assuming they resolved the misfire issue. https://www.nissan37.com/auto/used-2...r-nj/42707952/
Old 01-02-2020, 10:24 AM   #40
Roader

Drives: Camaro
Sorta feel your pain with wife’s Dodge Charger. Dealers keep giving us run around saying it’s a different problem each time when the same issue keeps coming up
Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:41 AM   #41
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Well, I guess it could have ended worse eh?

I mean, as long as you are happy, that is what matters. But this whole thing really sucked for you. Best of luck with the new ride man.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:09 AM   #42
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roader View Post
Sorta feel your pain with wife’s Dodge Charger. Dealers keep giving us run around saying it’s a different problem each time when the same issue keeps coming up
Thanks...if it wasn't my only car, then it wouldn't be so stressful, and I could haven taken time with potential repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Well, I guess it could have ended worse eh?

I mean, as long as you are happy, that is what matters. But this whole thing really sucked for you. Best of luck with the new ride man.
Thanks, I wanted to keep that 2012 as long as possible, I loved everything about it. I'm growing to really like the 2018 though. I disliked the 6th gen redesign at first, I thought it looked like "Camaro by Toyota". I like black cars, and I felt the any detail got washed away on the 6th gens' front end, they don't have those nice flat surfaces. But, I really like the look of my 2018 in hyper blue metallic. Might be the best color from that year.