Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-16-2021, 02:59 PM   #29
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
internationlriders: Thanks...but the video makes it look a bit better than in-reality! Nonetheless, car was stock everything other than valve springs. Coolant temps were 214 without blower and highest with is 219). Both include the huge front license plate. Note the LT4 blower takes away one of the side radiators for the supercharger cooling...still only ~3 degrees different is hardly notable.

Another way to look at it is, what did Chevy do? Supercharge. And it had the Ring record for some time.

NA is reduced fuel economy / worse emissions / valvetrain maintenance and the wrong power for the street. My last project was a Corvette that I spun to 7200 rpm with a reasonably lumpy cam with 50k+ miles on the street. Loved it, but 18 mpg on the highway, challenge to tune the idle, and swapped valves springs every year and even then lost a lifter which mushroomed a valve tip.

My current 600+ HP Camaro is hands down a better machine all around.

Great times we live in with the options we have!
Old 09-16-2021, 03:42 PM   #30
Zone5

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Dodge TRX
First off, I have a new 2021 ZL1. But I'd listen to SCCA Forums/Dave. Stick with NA for the road-course. I raced in SCCA for 15 years (T-1, STO, GT2) in Corvettes (Phoenix built) and I never saw a supercharged car out there. There may have been a couple, but very few. That's why the current generation of ZL1 has 11 coolers on it. The superchargers get insanely hot when racing on a road-course.

All that being said, if you're committed to supercharging, then I'd trade your SS in for a ZL1-1LE. With all of those coolers and just how freaking great the ZL1 drives, corners, accelerates, and stops, it seems like the latest generation (Camaro 6th) can keep the superchargers cool enough to complete a 20-25 minute run group, or even a 35-40 minute SCCA or NASA or PBOC or whatever race.
Zone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:31 PM   #31
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
my buddy has a supercharged ss a8 and back at buttonwillow in may when he came off the track it was so hot it put his car in limp mode i wouldnt do it...
Old 09-17-2021, 05:10 PM   #32
internationlriders

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Yeah I know from local experience that the cars that overheat on track are: most Mustangs, supercharged Camaros including ZLEs, and and ton of other cars like Subies of course but non supercharged Camaros, Corvettes, and 911 GT3s don't overheat, even in the hottest weather we've had. Maybe I just need to be happy with my stock 1LE until I have some Porsche money. This 1LE is freaking sweet on track regardless and I can't imagine a better car to drive to the track comfortably! I will be getting some Apex 19s next spring - that's a must. As much as I like the ZL1 it's just so heavy at that point one might at well get a M3 and have more doors and practicality with about the same track performance.

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far, much appreciated!

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want."
internationlriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:08 PM   #33
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by internationlriders View Post
Yeah I know from local experience that the cars that overheat on track are: most Mustangs, supercharged Camaros including ZLEs, and and ton of other cars like Subies of course but non supercharged Camaros, Corvettes, and 911 GT3s don't overheat, even in the hottest weather we've had. Maybe I just need to be happy with my stock 1LE until I have some Porsche money. This 1LE is freaking sweet on track regardless and I can't imagine a better car to drive to the track comfortably! I will be getting some Apex 19s next spring - that's a must. As much as I like the ZL1 it's just so heavy at that point one might at well get a M3 and have more doors and practicality with about the same track performance.

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far, much appreciated!
What's the Apex 19 tire sizes you have in mind?
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:04 AM   #34
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Hadn't heard of ZLEs overheating. LT4's have a slight problem with air in the intercooler system (easily fixed), but I've not read of a wide issue in general compared to the Corvette Z06 situations.

How hot does it get in Canada?

Are you building a race car for little street use? Then I'd agree on the NA approach.

If dual purpose, I'd recommend the supercharger. I drive 6 hours for a track visit...at 21 mpg (100+ mph) on the autobahn. I also have gotten stuck in 60 minute stau on the autobahn...that would be not as pleasant with a big cam'd powerplant and stickshift compared to my 650 rpm smooth idle LT1.

We are fortunate to have such options today!
Old 09-19-2021, 09:58 AM   #35
Zone5

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Dodge TRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by internationlriders View Post
As much as I like the ZL1 it's just so heavy at that point one might at well get a M3 and have more doors and practicality with about the same track performance.
2021 M3 weight is 3830-3990 pounds, depending on options. ZL1 is marginally lighter. Regardless, ZL1-1LE will destroy an M3 on a road-course, if the drivers are equal.
Zone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:18 AM   #36
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Read the Corvette forums lots of Z06’s overheat.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:34 AM   #37
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone5 View Post
2021 M3 weight is 3830-3990 pounds, depending on options. ZL1 is marginally lighter. Regardless, ZL1-1LE will destroy an M3 on a road-course, if the drivers are equal.
^ This….
khcoaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:18 PM   #38
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Read the Corvette forums lots of Z06’s overheat.
Z06's had an overheating issue which ZL1s never had, hence the many heat exchangers in the ZL1
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:12 AM   #39
internationlriders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
What's the Apex 19 tire sizes you have in mind?
I'm thinking 285/35/19 front and somewhere from 305/30/19 to 325/30/19 rears. There really isn't a lot of options in this space and the stock G3s haven't been very satisfactory overall so I may just get another set in 19s?

Old 09-21-2021, 07:17 AM   #40
internationlriders

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
Z06's had an overheating issue which ZL1s never had, hence the many heat exchangers in the ZL1
This past summer in the Okanogan in BC at area 27 track, they have regular track days there (where the ZLE was originally tested before customers took possession) and the only cars that weren't getting a bit hot were the 911s. Even the ZLEs were having to take some cool down periods a bit earlier than desired. Still they were much better than the Mustangs for keeping cool but they did get a bit hot.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:24 AM   #41
internationlriders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Hadn't heard of ZLEs overheating. LT4's have a slight problem with air in the intercooler system (easily fixed), but I've not read of a wide issue in general compared to the Corvette Z06 situations.

How hot does it get in Canada?

Are you building a race car for little street use? Then I'd agree on the NA approach.

If dual purpose, I'd recommend the supercharger. I drive 6 hours for a track visit...at 21 mpg (100+ mph) on the autobahn. I also have gotten stuck in 60 minute stau on the autobahn...that would be not as pleasant with a big cam'd powerplant and stickshift compared to my 650 rpm smooth idle LT1.

We are fortunate to have such options today!
Yes I agree how fortunate we are! I think I'm about 30/70 street/track and track time is split with the MX5 my wife and I run as well. We only drive the Camaro once in a while on the street usually to the mountains or somewhere doing the tourist thing once in a while. I don't have to commute at all so all of our vehicles have been garage queens other than my 4x4 which gets thrashed pretty well.

I have to say that regardless of what we decide next I would ideally like to keep this SS 1LE as it just is 'that' good as a drivers car. A friend here is building a 2021 Supra for the track right now so I'm looking forward to seeing how his car will be - my guess is tons of power but not enough balance/suspension to put the power down safely on corner exits. I would be super stoked to get a Magnuson 2.3 and see how that performs on my 1LE as I'm not competing with my car at all just having fun out here

Old 09-21-2021, 09:30 PM   #42
Corbu

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Subscribed. My track of interest is also the Castrol Raceway in Edmonton like OP and maybe the new track that will be built north of Calgary.

Sadly, I was hoping a SC on an LT1 wouldn't be an issue, it seems that it is. Dang it. The car has enough power but I need more powaa

Is it possible to install more coolers to the stock setup? The ZL1 has them, can we add some of those to an SS setup ?