Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
How stiff is your stock Camaro?

My 152LT RS Camaro is extremely stiff driving to the point on a bumpy average road It tosses you around ALOT. I find it hard to believe it came like this from the factory but I don't see anything on the shocks to indicate otherwise. I traded a 01WS6 that road like a Caddy compared to this Camaro, I also notice after driving it for 1/2 hr or so it gets a little smoother riding. Another quirk is on twisty turning fast road its completely in control to the point it feels like what I would think a race car would feel like. Is this normal for a stock 2LT RS?

Also what tire pressure are you guys running with 20's?
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Well this is all starting to make sense now. I'll bet those rascals at the GM plant thought it would be funny to swap the body parts and VIN from an LT onto a Z28. They're probably reading through all of your posts right now and having a good chuckle. On a side note, I feel bad for the guy who bought the other car. :(
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

I'm so glad this amuses you...................
Old 05-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
That ‘stiffness’ you speak of was one of the first things I noticed on my SS, NOT the LT. Count the spark plugs and report back!
Old 05-01-2019, 12:26 PM   #5
_Onyx_Wolf_
Onyx_Z7 <— Instagram

Drives: 2013 2ss 1le
������
_Onyx_Wolf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:27 PM   #6
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Being stiffly sprung is normal on all Camaro's, as for tire pressure I run 34lbs on my ZL1 and ran 36 on my Camaro SS. Just go by the tag on drivers door and you'll be good.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #7
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Well its getting quite obvious this car has had some performance mods done to it. I drove a few Camaros before I bought this one but just short test drives on smooth roads. I knew there was something different about this car when I drove it because of how well it runs but I didn't expect the extremely stiff suspension. Its stiff to the point it really beats you up on rough roads which we have plenty here. The WS6 on the same roads was what I would say normal for a performance car, nothing like this.

We looked at the struts and shocks, they are not marked special in any way. This is why I don't like buying from a dealer, the car is modded and I'll really never know what was done to it.

I have the Gooydear Sports @ 32 rear 34 frt.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
Well its getting quite obvious this car has had some performance mods done to it. I drove a few Camaros before I bought this one but just short test drives on smooth roads. I knew there was something different about this car when I drove it because of how well it runs but I didn't expect the extremely stiff suspension. Its stiff to the point it really beats you up on rough roads which we have plenty here. The WS6 on the same roads was what I would say normal for a performance car, nothing like this.

We looked at the struts and shocks, they are not marked special in any way. This is why I don't like buying from a dealer, the car is modded and I'll really never know what was done to it.

I have the Gooydear Sports @ 32 rear 34 frt.
if you post a picture, we could tell you if it has been lowered, and they way you describe the ride, I would bet with lowering springs. This usually give the car a better look, low profile, but it will stiffen up that ride a whole lot.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

I will take some tonight, you were reading my mind. I thought it looked a little lower than the others I looked at but not being side by side its hard to say. The neighbors 2017 v6 Camaro is very low in the frt but it rides good on rough roads.

If I had to guess the springs feel like they just don't give, the car kinda vaults at time as crazy as that sounds.

At the same time it is the best handling car I've driven. It is perfect at all times, great feedback you always feel in control.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:06 PM   #10
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
It’s all kind of relative - my 14 2LT beats the crap out of you on bumpy roads as compared to other cars in the family. Especially with the RS package which I have and the lower profile tires that comes with that. It is definitely oriented towards a sport feel, not a luxury feel.

As far as handling, it seems decent through the curves, especially if you keep some power on the back wheels pushing out of turns. I’d call it “good” but you’d probably want a 1LE package or some mods on an SS to get to “great”.

I run about 36 psi in the 20 inch tires on mine which are also Goodyear Sports.

The V6 Camaro is a fast, sporty and stylish car. If you want faster, more sporty and still stylish, you can move up to the SS, SS 1LE, ZL/1 or Z/28. Which people here are happy to point out
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #11
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
That ‘stiffness’ you speak of was one of the first things I noticed on my SS, NOT the LT. Count the spark plugs and report back!
As funny as that sounds I've looked a few times...........only 6 plugs dood.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:22 PM   #12
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
It’s all kind of relative - my 14 2LT beats the crap out of you on bumpy roads as compared to other cars in the family. Especially with the RS package which I have and the lower profile tires that comes with that. It is definitely oriented towards a sport feel, not a luxury feel.

As far as handling, it seems decent through the curves, especially if you keep some power on the back wheels pushing out of turns. I’d call it “good” but you’d probably want a 1LE package or some mods on an SS to get to “great”.

I run about 36 psi in the 20 inch tires on mine which are also Goodyear Sports.

The V6 Camaro is a fast, sporty and stylish car. If you want faster, more sporty and still stylish, you can move up to the SS, SS 1LE, ZL/1 or Z/28. Which people here are happy to point out
So you notice it too....makes me feel more validated only because after posting up how well it runs and everyone telling me I'm nuts now this. I've owned 6 LS1 cars over the past 20 years, mostly WS6 Ta's I know fast and good handling. This V6 Camaro does both very well.

My wife came home the other night and said to me "do you think this car is as fast as the WS6"

I asked her why? she said I had to pull out into traffic and the car moved away so fast she didn't expect it because the WS6 never moved like this............................from the mouth of the unknowing
Old 05-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #13
STALKER

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE
If you think its modded, just look under the car at the suspension components.... Not sure what the big deal is. It will be obvious to see if the parts aren't stock.
LSX Block, MAST 305 Black Labels, Exceldyne Valves, Diamond Pistons, Callies Crank & Rods, Cam Motion Cam, Johnson 2116LSR Lifters, Comp XDA Pushrods, Jesel Rockers, Mamo MSD, NW 102, Roto-Fab CAI, FAST 65# Injectors, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Kooks 2" Headers, Corsa Sport 3" Catback, Z28 Shifter, ZR1 Clutch, Katech LW Flywheel, 1LE 3.91 Diff, LPW Diff Cover, BMR - 1.4" Springs, LCA's, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Sway Bars, End Links, Diff Bushings, and Tunnel Brace, Z28/1LE Strut Tower Brace, Improved Racing Oil Cooler

2023 Camaro ZL1 / 1LE
Stock
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #14
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
Well this is all starting to make sense now. I'll bet those rascals at the GM plant thought it would be funny to swap the body parts and VIN from an LT onto a Z28. They're probably reading through all of your posts right now and having a good chuckle. On a side note, I feel bad for the guy who bought the other car. :(
above I notice its always the v8 owner that seem to have a problem with a v6 car performing well....hmmm could it be...........well you know...............