Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #1
Hockeypucks

Drives: 2014 Corvette
2SS with MRC/NPP or 1LT C7 with NPP?

As the title suggests, I'm looking at one of these two rides for the spring or even winter if I get a good enough deal. I'm able to get GMS pricing for the C7 (as well as Camaro if/when GM offers it) so with tax I'm looking at a difference of about $8k between the two.

The sensible side of me says go with the Camaro since I'm technically getting more car for my money but one look at the gorgeous C7 has me thinking I'd be regretting going with the little brother. I really think the performance gap between the two will be closer than ever once the 6th gen hits the streets but nothing will bring it closer to the looks of the Vette.

So just curious what anyone else might do if he/she liked both cars equally? I won't be tracking the car and I'm a detail fanatic so whichever way I go it'll be very well taken care of. Oh and I'm only interested in the manual for either ride.
Hockeypucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
There is no way a Camaro can even get close to the class of a Corvette. I've had Z06 and it's an awesome car to be in. A 2SS with options is very close to a C7 price but a world of difference in the car.

If you can live with 2 seats, get a C7.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #3
ericspt

Drives: '14 Z51 C7 SC'd, '14 S4, '15 SQ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks View Post
As the title suggests, I'm looking at one of these two rides for the spring or even winter if I get a good enough deal. I'm able to get GMS pricing for the C7 (as well as Camaro if/when GM offers it) so with tax I'm looking at a difference of about $8k between the two.

The sensible side of me says go with the Camaro since I'm technically getting more car for my money but one look at the gorgeous C7 has me thinking I'd be regretting going with the little brother. I really think the performance gap between the two will be closer than ever once the 6th gen hits the streets but nothing will bring it closer to the looks of the Vette.

So just curious what anyone else might do if he/she liked both cars equally? I won't be tracking the car and I'm a detail fanatic so whichever way I go it'll be very well taken care of. Oh and I'm only interested in the manual for either ride.
Z51 or non-Z51?

The differences between the Z51 and non will be significant.

Z51 gives you the electronic differential which makes a huge performance difference if you drive the car hard.

Better tires, the ZP's are incredible. Much better brakes unless you get the Brembo package.

Straight line I do not think there will be much difference but I was in a 1LT and it was a much nicer interior than I thought it would be, I have a 2LT and its not a huge difference.

The C7 comes with an awful lot standard, if you get a Z51 then the difference between 2LT and 1LT are mostly comfort features. HUD, adjustable side bolsters, contrast stitching on the dash, nicer radio, garage door opener....

I would not have considered a 1LT until I drove in one. Now I'm in the same spot, buy the wife a 2SS Convertible or get a 1LT Z51 Convertible.

More and more I'm leaning toward the Corvette, the price is too close and a super low mileage '15 will get me nearly the same price as a the SS. If you can swing MRC with a Z51 then you get PTM(Performance Traction Management) and its a pretty amazing system.

Which ever car we are getting its going to get a supercharger and for the skinny tires on the C7 I'm at 640hp and with PTM/E-diff the car is stuck to the road. I figured it was going to be like driving on a skating rink until I put better tires on it but it not only holds in a straight line but in the corners at pretty aggressive throttle usage.

The E-Diff really is the key on the Z51. I can come into a hard corner or a round about, tip in the throttle to the point where the car starts to slip and you feel the other tire push and off it goes.

The big difference from an interior standpoint is the C7 is all covered surfaces, dash, doors, etc, all leather covered.
ericspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:00 AM   #4
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Right now I'm looking at slightly used 5-10k miles '14-15 1LT and 2LT's C7 and 2SS convertible. I don't have to have a 'vert but sort of wanted one. Spending $50k on a car I'm not sure which way I'd lean right now.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #5
ericspt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
Right now I'm looking at slightly used 5-10k miles '14-15 1LT and 2LT's C7 and 2SS convertible. I don't have to have a 'vert but sort of wanted one. Spending $50k on a car I'm not sure which way I'd lean right now.
If your getting MRC and a manual then '14/'15 do not matter as far as features. '15 did get PDR but thats it.

If your not getting a car with MRC or a manual then the '15 is the better choice. It was not published anywhere but GM made a lot of bushing rate changes to the '15 because the '14's non-MRC/Z51 cars were way too soft. If you can find a rare review of a non Z51/MRC car they will mention this a lot.

In 15 they stiffened things up, its not harsh at all and its much improved and not so floaty.

In an Auto I would only go '15, the 8 speed is lightyears ahead of the 6 and if you goto sell it in 3-4 years you have all the other 8 speeds to compete against.

A well taken care of car is a good buy. I just turned 17K on mine and its still like new.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:06 AM   #6
Curr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspt View Post
If your getting MRC and a manual then '14/'15 do not matter as far as features. '15 did get PDR but thats it.

If your not getting a car with MRC or a manual then the '15 is the better choice. It was not published anywhere but GM made a lot of bushing rate changes to the '15 because the '14's non-MRC/Z51 cars were way too soft. If you can find a rare review of a non Z51/MRC car they will mention this a lot.

In 15 they stiffened things up, its not harsh at all and its much improved and not so floaty.

In an Auto I would only go '15, the 8 speed is lightyears ahead of the 6 and if you goto sell it in 3-4 years you have all the other 8 speeds to compete against.

A well taken care of car is a good buy. I just turned 17K on mine and its still like new.
Thanks for the tips. I was looking at manual 14's and both 15's. I guess I'll have to dig into VINs / stickers to see if the cars have MRC.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
If i had the budet 1lt c7
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
if you don't need the more practical nature of a Camaro get the corvette. its lighter, faster, more exotic looking.

Now on the flip side corvettes are not the most practical car and that is why I don't have a C7 Z06. young kids I would never get to drive it.

in that price range though the GT350 slots in there as well I have been thinking about it due to the needing a back seat 526hp with 8200rpm redline will be a riot to drive.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #9
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
I have juggled this as well. Only problem is, Im spoilt. I want the HUD, memory seats, etc. that puts me in at least a 2LT package. THEN, I cant have just a REGULAR Vette, I have to have the Z51 package! And I want Auto. For all those features, even in a USED Vette, cheapest Ive found has been right at $55k.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #10
Curr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
I have juggled this as well. Only problem is, Im spoilt. I want the HUD, memory seats, etc. that puts me in at least a 2LT package. THEN, I cant have just a REGULAR Vette, I have to have the Z51 package! And I want Auto. For all those features, even in a USED Vette, cheapest Ive found has been right at $55k.
Yeah, I'm definitely starting at 2LT, but I don't care much about manual or auto, although I'd prefer auto at this point. I'm not buying until next June, as I wanted to save up about $20k to put as a down payment (or more!) so I'm not in a hurry. I don't need the Z51, but I would like NPP and MRC and the removable roof panel is the only "must" at this point. The tough part is finding the dealers who know where the options stickers are, and getting them to take a pic of it for you. (Back right rear section under carpet by battery access). $55k is just about the top of my limit for what I'm willing to spend, hopefully next year there will be a lot more on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
if you don't need the more practical nature of a Camaro get the corvette. its lighter, faster, more exotic looking.

Now on the flip side corvettes are not the most practical car and that is why I don't have a C7 Z06. young kids I would never get to drive it.

in that price range though the GT350 slots in there as well I have been thinking about it due to the needing a back seat 526hp with 8200rpm redline will be a riot to drive.
Kids grown and gone, just me and the Wifey, and even she likes the idea of the C7. I don't need a vert, just the removable panel would do me just fine.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Old 09-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Curr, what exactly do you need the optikns sticker for? You can confirm thruimages of the car all the options you are wanting.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #12
Curr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
Curr, what exactly do you need the optikns sticker for? You can confirm thruimages of the car all the options you are wanting.

How do you tell MRC? NPP?

The rest I can figure out.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Old 09-04-2015, 07:11 PM   #13
ericspt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
How do you tell MRC? NPP?

The rest I can figure out.
Well if you have the sticker ,which is what your getting at they are coded on there as MRC and NPP.

Physically looking at the car if they open the hood there is a wire going to each shock tower for MRC. If they send you a pick of the underside of the rear exhaust pipes you will see the NPP actuators.

I think you will end up with a better deal through a private owner than a dealer. The big sell off was earlier this year when a bunch who owned '14s dumped them to pick up their new Z06's.

Corvette Forum has a lot of cars for sale, the downside is they all think they are worth 1 percent off from what the MSRP was

You are better off buying the middle winter, I know June is the timeframe you were looking at but September through February is when they will be the cheapest. Hit March/April and its prime season for them.

All Corvette's are Targa Tops, there is no more fixed roof coupe so the roofs are removable on all.

You will find deals like this:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...300-miles.html

300 miles and I would say 52 is a more fair offer even though its low miles.

Also the C7 is an excellent daily driver. It is the first Corvette where it does not feeli like your driving a Corvette, it drives and steers just like a regular well built car. It is quieter on the interior with the roof on than my S4 and between my S4 and my wife's SQ5 it gets the best gas mileage, by far, compared to the other two.

I drive mine everyday weather permitting. I do not drive it in the rain just because its not the best wet weather car, the ZP's on pretty shallow tread and I don't want to putz along in the right lane in heavy rain. I just turned 17K on it and it'll have 22K before we put it away for the winter.

It has been on multiple long road trips and I've done long road trips in my S4(Texas and area back to Michigan) and in the C7(Quebec, Montreal, and back) and zero difference from a comfort standpoint. In a few weeks we leave for Spring Mount in Nevada for a driving school and will do about 5K on it round trip.

The car is so easy to drive I'd let anyone drive it, and I'd say probably 15 other people have. Even now that its supercharged at 640hp its very livable and drivability or comfort has not changed at all.

Last edited by ericspt; 09-04-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:07 AM   #14
Curr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspt View Post
Well if you have the sticker ,which is what your getting at they are coded on there as MRC and NPP.

Physically looking at the car if they open the hood there is a wire going to each shock tower for MRC. If they send you a pick of the underside of the rear exhaust pipes you will see the NPP actuators.

I think you will end up with a better deal through a private owner than a dealer. The big sell off was earlier this year when a bunch who owned '14s dumped them to pick up their new Z06's.

Corvette Forum has a lot of cars for sale, the downside is they all think they are worth 1 percent off from what the MSRP was

You are better off buying the middle winter, I know June is the timeframe you were looking at but September through February is when they will be the cheapest. Hit March/April and its prime season for them.

All Corvette's are Targa Tops, there is no more fixed roof coupe so the roofs are removable on all.

You will find deals like this:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...300-miles.html

300 miles and I would say 52 is a more fair offer even though its low miles.

Also the C7 is an excellent daily driver. It is the first Corvette where it does not feeli like your driving a Corvette, it drives and steers just like a regular well built car. It is quieter on the interior with the roof on than my S4 and between my S4 and my wife's SQ5 it gets the best gas mileage, by far, compared to the other two.

I drive mine everyday weather permitting. I do not drive it in the rain just because its not the best wet weather car, the ZP's on pretty shallow tread and I don't want to putz along in the right lane in heavy rain. I just turned 17K on it and it'll have 22K before we put it away for the winter.

It has been on multiple long road trips and I've done long road trips in my S4(Texas and area back to Michigan) and in the C7(Quebec, Montreal, and back) and zero difference from a comfort standpoint. In a few weeks we leave for Spring Mount in Nevada for a driving school and will do about 5K on it round trip.

The car is so easy to drive I'd let anyone drive it, and I'd say probably 15 other people have. Even now that its supercharged at 640hp its very livable and drivability or comfort has not changed at all.

Actually you're wrong. According to the GM Fleet order guide, MRC is coded FE3 for non-Z51 C7's and FE4 for Z51 cars.

I can't open a hood, or look anywhere when looking at pictures online, at cars 500 miles away, etc Kind of the point to which I'm speaking to.

Thanks for the other info, however.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко