Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #1
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Borla S-Type or AWE Touring?

I'm having a difficult time deciding between the AWE Touring axle-back and the Borla S-Type axle-back. AWE is about $100 cheaper and has a good, deep tone (at least from what I can tell on the videos I've seen. The Borla S-Type also sounds good, just seems less muscle car-like. Again, I know the videos don't do either of the systems justice and they probably sound much different in person. I want there to be no drone sound and they both advertise as being drone-free. I don't want to piss off my neighbors with an extremely loud exhaust, but I'm tired of the boring stock non-NPP exhaust sound. I want the sound to match the power of the LT1. I love the sound of the Flowmaster American thunder, but I've read that the drone can be pretty bad for some. Suggestions?
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Stay away from flowmaster. Worst drone I've ever had. Hate to say it cause I'm a FM fan.

Heard the AWE live and wasn't my favorite tone. Hard to explain but didn't sound American V8.

Currently running the s type and for me, it's the perfect compromise. Great tone inside and out, zero drone. Pretty loud when you get on it but you can easily talk over it under normal driving. Kind of like stock on steroids.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:35 PM   #3
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
AWE Touring here and love it. Gets rave reviews from people that hear it for the first time. Don’t the Touring name fool you though, although there is zero drone it’s definitely not quiet! I feel like the quad tips are fantastic too.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #4
caSStro18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
AWE Touring here and love it. Gets rave reviews from people that hear it for the first time. Don’t the Touring name fool you though, although there is zero drone it’s definitely not quiet! I feel like the quad tips are fantastic too.
I see you have the Touring cat-back. According to their website the cat-back is quieter than the axle back unless you have the non-resonated with the link pipes. If the cat back is loud, I’m afraid the axle back will be too loud.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #5
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
I see you have the Touring cat-back. According to their website the cat-back is quieter than the axle back unless you have the non-resonated with the link pipes. If the cat back is loud, I’m afraid the axle back will be too loud.
I have the Resonated Touring catback AND secondary cat deletes. So, cold start and WOT will definitely rock! It’s full 3” piping, not 2.75” and that does seem to bump up the volume a tick IMO. The secondary cat delete also turns up the volume, so keep those if you’re worried. If you are under light throttle and/or overdrive cruise, it’s very quiet. If you bump down a gear or two it’s a great cruising tone around town. But WOT definitely thunders. At the drag strip, my wife kept commenting about how great the AWE sounded at WOT, she felt it was better than anything else there that day...and she doesn’t know anything about exhausts...lol. I guess if you live in a very close/quiet neighborhood, the cold start could be an issue? That is definitely a factor for some. But overall I’m loving it.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:04 PM   #6
caSStro18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
I have the Resonated Touring catback AND secondary cat deletes. So, cold start and WOT will definitely rock! It’s full 3” piping, not 2.75” and that does seem to bump up the volume a tick IMO. The secondary cat delete also turns up the volume, so keep those if you’re worried. If you are under light throttle and/or overdrive cruise, it’s very quiet. If you bump down a gear or two it’s a great cruising tone around town. But WOT definitely thunders. At the drag strip, my wife kept commenting about how great the AWE sounded at WOT, she felt it was better than anything else there that day...and she doesn’t know anything about exhausts...lol. I guess if you live in a very close/quiet neighborhood, the cold start could be an issue? That is definitely a factor for some. But overall I’m loving it.
I’ll be leaving the secondary cats and going with only the axle back. The website doesn’t recommend the cutback systems for automatics due to the AFM valves. Will keeping the secondary cats in place make it quieter?
Old 10-08-2019, 10:16 PM   #7
Danew_377
Chief Bief

Drives: Nightfall Gray Camaro 1SS
I have the awe tuning touring axleback and I have yet to get a single negative comment on it. It’s got a great rumble at idle and unless under hard throttle it’s easy to live with. I can cruise at 90 in sixth gear and it doesn’t drone in the cabin. The burbles and pops from the exhaust when you let off the throttle are unreal and it doesn’t sound like every other Camaro under hard throttle. It’s better than most people other exhausts you can buy. If you like to boil the throttle on downshifts, with the ARM or by yourself if you have a manual, I feel it’s the best bar none.

2016 NFG 1SS M6
JLT Intake, LT2 Manifold, LT5 TB, CSP 2" headers, AWE Catback Exhaust, Apex ARC-8 Wheels.
426whp/434wtq
Danew_377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:17 PM   #8
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
I’ll be leaving the secondary cats and going with only the axle back. The website doesn’t recommend the cutback systems for automatics due to the AFM valves. Will keeping the secondary cats in place make it quieter?
For sure.

For the record, you can still run the catback in an automatic trans car without the AFM valves. You just use HP Tuners to shut them off and eliminate the CEL.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:19 PM   #9
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danew_377 View Post
I have the awe tuning touring axleback and I have yet to get a single negative comment on it. It’s got a great rumble at idle and unless under hard throttle it’s easy to live with. I can cruise at 90 in sixth gear and it doesn’t drone in the cabin. The burbles and pops from the exhaust when you let off the throttle are unreal and it doesn’t sound like every other Camaro under hard throttle. It’s better than most people other exhausts you can buy. If you like to boil the throttle on downshifts, with the ARM or by yourself if you have a manual, I feel it’s the best bar none.
Well said. Full throttle upshifts with the A8 sound biblical!
Old 10-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #10
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
I'm sure you can't go wrong with either compared to stock non-npp. I got the Borla S-type and freakin' love the sound. Does all the burbling, crackling on heavy throttle as well when you let off. No drone. Not crazy loud, just perfect. Plus the circumference is pretty large so it looks good.
Attached Images

cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #11
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
I'd go with AWE just for the more aggressive looks alone. Hard to beat those huge exhaust tips.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #12
Shredstone

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I'm sure you can't go wrong with either compared to stock non-npp. I got the Borla S-type and freakin' love the sound. Does all the burbling, crackling on heavy throttle as well when you let off. No drone. Not crazy loud, just perfect. Plus the circumference is pretty large so it looks good.

Looks exactly like my car and is exactly my experience. Love my S-Type!
Shredstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #13
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Here is my car with the AWE Touring resonated Catback and TSP 2 inch headers and no cats. This is a cold start.

This is after I cammed it.

This is what it sounds like in the car with a huge stall

Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #14
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
I have an AWE and I won't recommend it due to their goofy insistance of 3" inlets and using an adapter sleeve to get it to mate up to the 2.75" midpipe. I had fitment problems with that retardery and they told if I had it welded up it would be modified and warranty voided.

Love the sound the tips are phenomenal but their design sucks and the service is horrible. Its not quite as loud as I would like it be, the street MBRP I had on my 5.0 was a bit louder. I get plenty of compliments on the AWE sound.

Last edited by VinnAY; 10-09-2019 at 02:06 PM.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote