Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #29
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
As another frame of reference - sans a real dyno, I saw a friend today who is building an old El Camino with an old school carb motor. He has ‘Desk Dyno’ software that asks for a lot more parameters. Using the 1.25 factor for his big cam/block, I got 572HP vs his 450. Unless you’re talking about a real horse, seems horsepower is open to a lot of interpretation. Especially this formula.

Honestly, this one seems a little silly. But I didn’t write the article.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:44 PM   #30
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Does it come with a sticker?
I has several in the box. I assume the bigger the sticker, the more hp gain.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #31
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Only for the V6, it says "don't even try, packin heat!"
sounds eerily familar!
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:01 AM   #32
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
where have i heard that before?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:44 AM   #33
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
[QUOTE=
Honestly, this one seems a little silly. But I didn’t write the article.[/QUOTE]

The formula is probably more useful to work it backwards from a known HP to compare how efficient the motor is working with another setup.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:51 AM   #34
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
The formula is probably more useful to work it backwards from a known HP to compare how efficient the motor is working with another setup.
In some ways, "known horsepower" seems an oxymoron. If this formula can be held up as some kind of reasonably accurate estimation, what IS 'known?' Who checks the checkers? And how?
Old 05-10-2019, 08:10 AM   #35
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Known hp as ran on the same dyno. The variables are what the "factor" is really taking into account. It would allow an engine builder get some idea of how efficient cams, intake, heads, etc are working when comparing engines of different sizes and redline.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #36
granatl

Drives: 2SS RS ABM A6
Torque is the actual measurement of work being done. It shows how much work an engine can do.
Horsepower is a function of Torque & RPM. This shows how quickly the engine can do that work.

HP = (TQ * RPM) / 5252

For those who are used to seeing dyno graphs (and on engines that can get to 5252 RPM), this is why the HP & TQ lines always cross at that point.

So, if you spin the engine even faster (and there isn't valve float, etc.) your HP "tends" to continue to increase. You'll hit a cliff at some point though.

Generally, the heavier the vehicle, low-end TQ benefits. Light little cars/motorcycle favor HP and expected to be high revving.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #37
Moto-Mojo

Good stuff, gentlemen. It stands to reason that as long as the IC engine has been around, that there are means of consistently testing its capabilities. I wonder how much real HP was shaved off our Camaro’s LS numbers to satisfy CARB requirements? We all know how damned ‘important’ that is.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #38
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I wonder how much real HP was shaved off our Camaro’s LS numbers to satisfy CARB requirements? We all know how damned ‘important’ that is.
I would say it is directly related to AFM. Because of that our L99 has a lower redline limit & compression too as compared to the LS3 mainly due to those damned AFM lifters that are weaker. Of course most of us shut them off with a tune.

Mind you I think the fact it uses VVT narrows that gap back when you look at the torque curves for both motors. Of course if there was no AFM on the motor there wouldn't be a need for it & we would have all just had a LS3 which would have been better I'd say.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #39
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Good stuff, gentlemen. It stands to reason that as long as the IC engine has been around, that there are means of consistently testing its capabilities. I wonder how much real HP was shaved off our Camaro’s LS numbers to satisfy CARB requirements? We all know how damned ‘important’ that is.
It was my understanding that the only CA. have all the extra pollution stuff on it to meet CARB standards. The rest of the states don't have the extra stuff on them. I'm not sure if there ends up being a HP difference between the two.

If all the cars shipped with the LS3, the A6 cars would have a GG tax on them. With my SS Sedan I had a $1300 GG tax due to the LS3 with A6 trans. But I will admit it's wort every penny.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #40
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
My top end in unlimited!
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #41
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
My top end in unlimited!
I believe in this sector of the universe you’re limit is light speed. But I understand you’re fast approaching that!
Old 05-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #42
PepeLePew

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe; 2011 2LT Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
My top end in unlimited!
I bet you even had the rev limiter removed so you can run the whole 1/4 mile in first gear. With a trap speed of 99 mph your probably still pulling and only turning the engine at 12,000 RPMs. Oh wait you also have 4.10 gears too... I forgot so maybe 14,000 rpms (Still curious how you got 4.10s to fit in v6 A6 diff... maybe you got a manual diff or SS diff swapped).

You truly are an entertaining old man.

Take care buddy. Have fun in your own world.