Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-04-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
PackManDan

Drives: None at the moment
Does anyone regret their ZL1?

Maybe "regret" is a strong word, but has anyone purchased a ZL1 and for whatever reason just not fell in love with it and either sold it or considering selling it?

I'm trying not to turn this into a "tell me what to buy" thread because I personally hate those, because no one can tell you what to buy but you, however, I do want to give a little bit of my story:

I owned a 2007 Z06 with headers/exhaust/tune making 517rwhp in a 3,180 pound car. Lots of fun! Loved that car. Sold it to buy a 2010 ZR1. 638hp in a 3,350 pound car. Great fun.

Long story short I'm Corvette-less now and all I have is my daily driver Honda Accord. I "need" to get another car...the itch is there and very strong.

The most I want to spend is mid 50k. I have four options:

10-13 ZR1 which will be stretching it for sure and probably be 60k

10-13 Z06 which I can probably get for low 40s, saving me some money

17-18 Grand Sport Corvette. Mid to upper 50's

17-18 ZL1 Camaro. Low to mid 50's.

I know what to expect from the C6 Z06 and C6 ZR1 because I've owned both. They are both rockets, and I really like the exterior look, just not the interior. Never owned a C7 vette, although I've heard nothing but good things about the Grand Sport. I think I'd enjoy it a lot.

Never owned a Camaro at all. The ZL1 looks aggressive and awesome to me. Interior looks pretty damn good too. 650hp LT4 is great.

So I guess I'm just looking for the good the bad and the ugly from people who actually own or have owned a ZL1. Give me all the details. Is there anything you would change? Anything you regret?

By the way....First Post!!! Sorry for the novel.
PackManDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackManDan View Post
Maybe "regret" is a strong word, but has anyone purchased a ZL1 and for whatever reason just not fell in love with it and either sold it or considering selling it?

I'm trying not to turn this into a "tell me what to buy" thread because I personally hate those, because no one can tell you what to buy but you, however, I do want to give a little bit of my story:

I owned a 2007 Z06 with headers/exhaust/tune making 517rwhp in a 3,180 pound car. Lots of fun! Loved that car. Sold it to buy a 2010 ZR1. 638hp in a 3,350 pound car. Great fun.

Long story short I'm Corvette-less now and all I have is my daily driver Honda Accord. I "need" to get another car...the itch is there and very strong.

The most I want to spend is mid 50k. I have four options:

I know what to expect from the C6 Z06 and C6 ZR1 because I've owned both. They are both rockets, and I really like the exterior look, just not the interior. Never owned a C7 vette, although I've heard nothing but good things about the Grand Sport. I think I'd enjoy it a lot.

Never owned a Camaro at all. The ZL1 looks aggressive and awesome to me. Interior looks pretty damn good too. 650hp LT4 is great.

So I guess I'm just looking for the good the bad and the ugly from people who actually own or have owned a ZL1. Give me all the details. Is there anything you would change? Anything you regret?

By the way....First Post!!! Sorry for the novel.
1.) The ZL1 is essentially a C7 Z06 with 4 seats, and a little heavier. So naturally, it's a little slower in the 1/4. Overall, it's still going to plant you on your ass...

2.) The C6 ZR1 is basically on par with the current ZL1 in the 1/4 mile and overall speed times.

You can get manual versions of the ZL1 in the mid to low 50's... you can find brand new or slightly used A10 versions in the mid to upper 50s...

If you're already used to the Corvettes, the Camaros will probably feel more spacious. The visibility is better I think in the Camaro vs. the Corvette, but some will probably disagree..

The single biggest knocks on the ZL1 would be the M6 bog issue and in my opinion, the fact that you can't anything but that Alcantera crap interior...
Old 03-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #3
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I've owned or driven all of the vehicles you've mentioned. I think it depends on what you want out of the car. I would personally nix the C6 Z06 and the Grand Sport UNLESS you want a drivers car - that is, not all about power, just to have fun, well balanced, good for track use or carving the corners but won't be the fastest on the block.

The C6 ZR1 and G6 ZL1 both get you factory supercharged, forged engines. Both are pretty fast out of the box though the C6 ZR1 is faster in the hands of a skilled driver (vs. A10) and can be built to be quite a bit faster. The LS9 has a few more goodies and is much easier and more rewarding to modify. The LS9 on stock blower (2.3L vs 1.7L for the LT4), full tilt can hammer out 900+ RWHP, or 700 RWHP+ on bolt ons + porting. The LT4 is no slouch, it's a great bolt on engine, pretty good with a cam/heads thrown in, but if you want to make big power, it will need a blower upgrade which may point you towards a GS. The downside with the GS is it doesn't have some of the internal upgrades of the LT4 due to the GS having an LT1. So if you want to make 750+ RWHP, you'll need to put a bottom end in it if you intend to drive it hard and enjoy it stress free. This paragraph only pertains to modifications really. I don't know what your plan is so it may not apply.

If you want a vehicle you'll leave stock or lightly modify, it's a hard decision between a C6 ZR1 and G6 ZL1. I went through the same debate and ended up going ZL1. I can tell you I do not regret my decision. It was (kind of still is) the newest GM high performance vehicle, it looks great, sounds great, and performs great. The C6 ZR1 while still the previous halo, is just that - the previous halo. It still is very fast in straight line and track performance and obviously is much lighter. If you want a raw, manual car, I'd go for the C6 ZR1. If you want a more comfortable, updated, all around monster, get the A10 ZL1.

There's nothing about the ZL1 that I "regret". There are things I would change if it were up to me but those are nitpicking design things. If there's more specific things you want to know, ask away.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #4
PackManDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
1.) The ZL1 is essentially a C7 Z06 with 4 seats, and a little heavier. So naturally, it's a little slower in the 1/4. Overall, it's still going to plant you on your ass...

2.) The C6 ZR1 is basically on par with the current ZL1 in the 1/4 mile and overall speed times.

You can get manual versions of the ZL1 in the mid to low 50's... you can find brand new or slightly used A10 versions in the mid to upper 50s...

If you're already used to the Corvettes, the Camaros will probably feel more spacious. The visibility is better I think in the Camaro vs. the Corvette, but some will probably disagree..

The single biggest knocks on the ZL1 would be the M6 bog issue and in my opinion, the fact that you can't anything but that Alcantera crap interior...
What is the M6 bog issue? If I got a ZL1, I'd be purchasing a manual transmission. So I'm curious to hear what this is about since I haven't heard anything about it yet.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #5
PackManDan

I guess I should have stated also:

This would be a weekend car only. NOT a daily driver. And it would be street driven only, not a track car. And I do plan to mod whatever car I get to around 750rwhp.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #6
PackManDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I've owned or driven all of the vehicles you've mentioned. I think it depends on what you want out of the car. I would personally nix the C6 Z06 and the Grand Sport UNLESS you want a drivers car - that is, not all about power, just to have fun, well balanced, good for track use or carving the corners but won't be the fastest on the block.

The C6 ZR1 and G6 ZL1 both get you factory supercharged, forged engines. Both are pretty fast out of the box though the C6 ZR1 is faster in the hands of a skilled driver (vs. A10) and can be built to be quite a bit faster. The LS9 has a few more goodies and is much easier and more rewarding to modify. The LS9 on stock blower (2.3L vs 1.7L for the LT4), full tilt can hammer out 900+ RWHP, or 700 RWHP+ on bolt ons + porting. The LT4 is no slouch, it's a great bolt on engine, pretty good with a cam/heads thrown in, but if you want to make big power, it will need a blower upgrade which may point you towards a GS. The downside with the GS is it doesn't have some of the internal upgrades of the LT4 due to the GS having an LT1. So if you want to make 750+ RWHP, you'll need to put a bottom end in it if you intend to drive it hard and enjoy it stress free. This paragraph only pertains to modifications really. I don't know what your plan is so it may not apply.

If you want a vehicle you'll leave stock or lightly modify, it's a hard decision between a C6 ZR1 and G6 ZL1. I went through the same debate and ended up going ZL1. I can tell you I do not regret my decision. It was (kind of still is) the newest GM high performance vehicle, it looks great, sounds great, and performs great. The C6 ZR1 while still the previous halo, is just that - the previous halo. It still is very fast in straight line and track performance and obviously is much lighter. If you want a raw, manual car, I'd go for the C6 ZR1. If you want a more comfortable, updated, all around monster, get the A10 ZL1.

There's nothing about the ZL1 that I "regret". There are things I would change if it were up to me but those are nitpicking design things. If there's more specific things you want to know, ask away.
I appreciate all the good info! I forgot to mention my goals so I did add another post above stating it but: this would be a weekend only car and only street driven. It would not be a daily driver and would not be driven on the track at all. 750rwhp seems like a good number to me. I'm not trying to go super crazy with a 1000hp build but I don't want to leave any car I get stock.

The C7 GS is on the list because I love the looks of the C7 but the Z06 is a bit too much for my budget. I'm finding ones I like in the mid 60's which is too much. So I took the Z06 out and told myself if I got a C7 GS I would eventually Procharge it...probably.

The C6 Z06 seems appealing because I could get one for low 40's and that would 1) make me feel better about my wallet that I saved about 10-15 thousand off my top end budget. And 2) would leave me money to mod it. And if I dropped 10-15 into the Z06 it would be faster than any of the cars mentioned on the list. I do feel a bit that a C6 Z06 might be a step back for me, considering 1) I've already owned one and 2) I've already owned a C6 ZR1.

The C6 ZR1 needs no introduction. It's a beast of a car even in stock form. The 3ZR interior, though not what a $120,000 car interior should have been, is actually not as bad looking (to me) as most people make it out to be. And as soon as you add an aftermarket head unit it's looking much better. I love the exterior looks of the ZR1 and let's face it, there were only about 4,800 made in the 5 years it was produced so the "rarity" factor is there. But this would run me about 60k which is the absolute max of my budget.

The ZL1 is appealing because it's a brand new car, with new technology and new features. The interior is much upgraded and superior to the C6 model Corvette. And it comes with an LT4 supercharged engine. It's fast from the factory and the looks are there. Full bolt ons and cam and I think I would probably be happy. Also I'm finding a lot of manuals (which is the only way I would go) in the very low 50's so I'd be a bit under my budget with an almost brand new 650hp car.

Gonna have to do some soul searching I see. Because almost every day I go back and forth. Last week I was telling myself to get the C7 Grand Sport. Earlier this week it was "get another ZR1". Right now it seems to be the ZL1 and round and round it goes.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #7
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
I appreciate all the good info! I forgot to mention my goals so I did add another post above stating it but: this would be a weekend only car and only street driven. It would not be a daily driver and would not be driven on the track at all. 750rwhp seems like a good number to me. I'm not trying to go super crazy with a 1000hp build but I don't want to leave any car I get stock.

The C7 GS is on the list because I love the looks of the C7 but the Z06 is a bit too much for my budget. I'm finding ones I like in the mid 60's which is too much. So I took the Z06 out and told myself if I got a C7 GS I would eventually Procharge it...probably.

The C6 Z06 seems appealing because I could get one for low 40's and that would 1) make me feel better about my wallet that I saved about 10-15 thousand off my top end budget. And 2) would leave me money to mod it. And if I dropped 10-15 into the Z06 it would be faster than any of the cars mentioned on the list. I do feel a bit that a C6 Z06 might be a step back for me, considering 1) I've already owned one and 2) I've already owned a C6 ZR1.

The C6 ZR1 needs no introduction. It's a beast of a car even in stock form. The 3ZR interior, though not what a $120,000 car interior should have been, is actually not as bad looking (to me) as most people make it out to be. And as soon as you add an aftermarket head unit it's looking much better. I love the exterior looks of the ZR1 and let's face it, there were only about 4,800 made in the 5 years it was produced so the "rarity" factor is there. But this would run me about 60k which is the absolute max of my budget.

The ZL1 is appealing because it's a brand new car, with new technology and new features. The interior is much upgraded and superior to the C6 model Corvette. And it comes with an LT4 supercharged engine. It's fast from the factory and the looks are there. Full bolt ons and cam and I think I would probably be happy. Also I'm finding a lot of manuals (which is the only way I would go) in the very low 50's so I'd be a bit under my budget with an almost brand new 650hp car.

Gonna have to do some soul searching I see. Because almost every day I go back and forth. Last week I was telling myself to get the C7 Grand Sport. Earlier this week it was "get another ZR1". Right now it seems to be the ZL1 and round and round it goes.
It's a very hard decision. Obviously a C7 GS or C6 Z06 would require forced induction to achieve 750 RWHP. The C6 Z06 doesn't work the greatest with boost but it can be done. Very hard to pass up a well setup C6 Z, they just look so good to this day and I agree on the interior, not as bad as most make it out to be. The C7 GS would run pretty reliably with a medium Procharger and cam for 750 RWHP. A Whipple or similar PD blower may be another option you'll want to take a look at.

Put a gun to my head and ask me right now, I'd probably go C6 ZR1 in your case. It's got the best gearing and aero of any late model GM. It's got the better mod motor and will easily do 750 RWHP with a good bolt on + porting setup with or without a cam. Yes, it's at the top of your budget but hey you only live once.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:25 PM   #8
PackManDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
It's a very hard decision. Obviously a C7 GS or C6 Z06 would require forced induction to achieve 750 RWHP. The C6 Z06 doesn't work the greatest with boost but it can be done. Very hard to pass up a well setup C6 Z, they just look so good to this day and I agree on the interior, not as bad as most make it out to be. The C7 GS would run pretty reliably with a medium Procharger and cam for 750 RWHP. A Whipple or similar PD blower may be another option you'll want to take a look at.

Put a gun to my head and ask me right now, I'd probably go C6 ZR1 in your case. It's got the best gearing and aero of any late model GM. It's got the better mod motor and will easily do 750 RWHP with a good bolt on + porting setup with or without a cam. Yes, it's at the top of your budget but hey you only live once.
Yea who knows. I'm looking back at my Instagram and looking at my pictures of my ZR1 (which I only sold 6 months ago) and I'm like "damn that looks so good and is a great card to mod" so who knows. I guess when the time is right I'll make my decision. It's just tough because you don't want to make the wrong decision. Would be a pain in the ass to go through the trouble of buying a car, then realizing it isn't what you wanted, then have to list it and sell it and then try to buy something else. That's why I want to do it right and make sure I get what I really want the first time.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:07 PM   #9
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
What is the M6 bog issue? If I got a ZL1, I'd be purchasing a manual transmission. So I'm curious to hear what this is about since I haven't heard anything about it yet.
Essentially, GM built nannies into the trans and it appears to be overkill, which is hurting alot of people with launching at the drag strip. It does appear some are better at launching than others...but most are seeing the issue.

This issue alone is why I opted for the A10 over the M6.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:35 PM   #10
Gritesh

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Essentially, GM built nannies into the trans and it appears to be overkill, which is hurting alot of people with launching at the drag strip. It does appear some are better at launching than others...but most are seeing the issue.

This issue alone is why I opted for the A10 over the M6.
Me as well, I have always owned manual transmission cars, and when I set out to purchase this car one of the things I always had on my list was manual.

After reading about the bog issue I swung my decision over to Automatic, it will be the first auto car I have owned in almost 20 years.
Gritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:57 AM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Does anyone regret their ZL1?
Not me. Not one bit!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:19 AM   #12
newchevyman

Drives: 2017 Camero ZL1
I had a 2007 Z06 before my ZL1. Both cars make about 610 rwhp. The Z06 was obviously far and away a much faster car but that's the only advantage it had. The ZL1 is better in every other way. I also went from manual only cars to the A10 and have zero regrets. Driving one is the only way you'll be able to decide though. If you were local I'd let you drive mine!
2007 Z06 H/C/I/E Half Mile - 169 MPH. Sold.
newchevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:45 AM   #13
Frisbey

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
. Does anyone regret their ZL1?
Not one bit!
And I’m amazed Chevy was able to build this caliber of a car for the price.
It’s a legit supercar at 1/2 the price (or less) of the European big boys, an amazing value.

Quote:The most I want to spend is mid 50k. I have four options:

Why would you consider a 2010-2013 when you can get a 2018 ZL1.

The Grand Sport and ZL1 are great choices, but for me,
No regrets on the ZL1

It’s an amazing Hot Rod
2000 - 02/06/18 | 4300 - 02/20/18 Built
3000 - 02/07/18 | 5000 - 03/08/18 At Dealer
3100 - 02/09/18 | Delivered
Frisbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:09 AM   #14
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
No regrets, here. I was in the same boat as you and was looking to get out of my '11 CTS-V. The only difference was I was also looking at C7Z's, no GS but actually looking at Hellcats.

I only bought mine in August 18. I noticed in my search that there was a lot of low mile (2-4k miles) ZL1s on the market, selling very close to MSRP. I ended up buying new. I wish I would have spec'd one out myself, but it was too late in the year and did not want a 19. I can live without PDR and exposed carbon.

My advice is find something with the right options that makes you truly happy. The vehicle itself is an amazing piece of technology for the pricetag.
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote