#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-27-2019, 06:00 AM   #29
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Thanks Chris. I've asked this question of Jeff Cook who posted a record lap just above. He seems to think those cars run like champs even in consecutive stints in just about any ambient. But he says G3Rs get greasy after 15mins and pace evaporates.

In any case, since John drove one and experienced reduced speed i will ask him for his thoughts directly.
He is such an amazing driver and a super helpful guy to boot!

Thanks for the source: appreciate it! Cheers!

Ps what was the the ambient at NCM when you ran there?
It was hot - last year it was Friday on One Lap. In the 80’s IIRC.

John was driving Alan’s car for reference. The data shows the increasing oil temps and corresponding lower top speeds. Maybe not exactly as slow as an SS, but a significant trail off.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:02 AM   #30
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
ZL1's do heat soak after a few laps as that little blower is trying very hard. However the car still has a ton of power and grip despite the heat soak.
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #31
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Generally speaking any car will be subject to slower laptimes in high vs low ambient. No motor and no tire loves excessive heat. That's a given. Even NASCAR race cars experience a fall off sometimes after a few laps.
Because of tires.

It is plausible to assume that a blown car will be more sensitive to heat: no question. But what i have heard a lot of here is 650hp/tg can fry rears after 15mins which makes perfect sense to me. And after the rears get fried exits will suffer because of loss of traction. When exits suffer so will top speed. From all accounts thus far THIS seems like the biggest culprit (based on actual feedback).

Perhaps there is an additional culprit: motor heat soak.
But this is almost never the ONLY culprit. In any case, the question then is how much power is lost. Is it 50hp or 150hp? The former would be rather mild. The latter severe and easily felt by a driver. And i would expect many threads of complaints on this forum (as it happened with a Z06), especially given the car has been out for a while now.

I also recall Motor Trend guys wasting 5 or 6 sets of rear tires without managing to overheat a ZL1. But to be fair i have no idea what they were doing exactly, or how.

Anyhow, just my musings here. I will be smarter if i manage to run a ZL1 hopefully this July.

Chris do you have actual lap times for John's run? Is Alan a forum member? Sorry cant connect the dots as to who he is. Thanks!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:48 AM   #32
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
I bet if you data logged the car you would absolutely see power being lost due to the supercharger generating heat. While the system GM uses to try and avoid many of the problems works you simply cannot avoid physics.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:12 AM   #33
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deakins View Post
I bet if you data logged the car you would absolutely see power being lost due to the supercharger generating heat. While the system GM uses to try and avoid many of the problems works you simply cannot avoid physics.
Agree. I suppose physics also play a role roasting tires with 650 of torque

The question is: is the loss noticable and the car turning into an SS after 15mins, or is it mild in which case: who cares??? Just want to get to the bottom of this wrt effects specific to zl1.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:43 PM   #34
TrackClub

FYI: i have received a response from Mr Rocket himself and he assured me that the ZL1 1LE did a good job managing heat.

He has also pointed out that ANY motor (NA, turbo, or SC) will suffer to some extent due to heat. Albeit SC will be most prone for obvious reasons.

Moreover, he rightly reminded me that pace will vary based on changing track conditions, tire wear, changing braking performance, driver fatigue and other factors - not just motor heat levels.

So now that we have feedback from an incredibly accomplished pro, perhaps we can move back to my original OP: has anyone upgraded from an SS 1LE and for whatever reason regreted it? At this stage, apart from forking out more cash, i will assume the answer is: NO.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:34 PM   #35
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
FYI: i have received a response from Mr Rocket himself and he assured me that the ZL1 1LE did a good job managing heat.

He has also pointed out that ANY motor (NA, turbo, or SC) will suffer to some extent due to heat. Albeit SC will be most prone for obvious reasons.

Moreover, he rightly reminded me that pace will vary based on changing track conditions, tire wear, changing braking performance, driver fatigue (or error) and other factors - not just motor heat levels.

So now that we have feedback from an incredibly accomplished pro, perhaps we can move back to my original OP: has anyone upgraded from an SS 1LE and for whatever reason regreted it? At this stage, apart from forking out more cash, i will assume the answer is: NO.
I would say, these two are likely the major two to cause the most drop in lap time within a 20-25 min session in general and especially if it's hot out.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:29 PM   #36
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:

Moreover, he rightly reminded me that pace will vary based on changing track conditions, tire wear, changing braking performance, driver fatigue and other factors - not just motor heat levels.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts if you do go ZL1. I've thought about switching myself (to either a ZL1 or a ZLE).

Given that we are both track focused your feedback if you do make the switch will be interesting to read.

Once I finish these 2 salvage rebuilds (and assuming I don't buy more which is a bad bet to make), plus my champ car build/swap, plus the new HPDE BRZ build, plus the MR2 track build..

shit let me know in 2021 what you think ha
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:36 PM   #37
TrackClub

If GM doesnt change SS power for 2020MY i will likely go with a ZL1 and will defo post my impressions here.
But if they do, i will have to think about it a bit deeper, as the price difference is not insubstantial: easily $20+G where i live. So we shall see...
Old 02-28-2019, 08:14 PM   #38
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
watch lightning lap of the ZL1 vs the SS 1LE...https://youtu.be/fOtzsKRDgCw

https://youtu.be/N-_RIatNPb0

https://youtu.be/7pzz_E9fG88

Lots of data points to see...HP matters...
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:24 AM   #39
TrackClub

Yep HP matters for sure. So do sticky tires...
It was fun to watch those vids again - thx!
Old 03-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #40
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Every few months I find myself looking at Kyrpton Green SS 1LEs to trade my ZL1 for. Smaller payment and I just Love that damn color. And 90% as capable on track IMO.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #41
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Every few months I find myself looking at Kyrpton Green SS 1LEs to trade my ZL1 for. Smaller payment and I just Love that damn color. And 90% as capable on track IMO.
Eh. Depends on the track. Road America, no. Blackhawk Farms, yes.
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:34 PM   #42
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Generally speaking any car will be subject to slower laptimes in high vs low ambient. No motor and no tire loves excessive heat. That's a given. Even NASCAR race cars experience a fall off sometimes after a few laps.
Because of tires.

It is plausible to assume that a blown car will be more sensitive to heat: no question. But what i have heard a lot of here is 650hp/tg can fry rears after 15mins which makes perfect sense to me. And after the rears get fried exits will suffer because of loss of traction. When exits suffer so will top speed. From all accounts thus far THIS seems like the biggest culprit (based on actual feedback).

Perhaps there is an additional culprit: motor heat soak.
But this is almost never the ONLY culprit. In any case, the question then is how much power is lost. Is it 50hp or 150hp? The former would be rather mild. The latter severe and easily felt by a driver. And i would expect many threads of complaints on this forum (as it happened with a Z06), especially given the car has been out for a while now.

I also recall Motor Trend guys wasting 5 or 6 sets of rear tires without managing to overheat a ZL1. But to be fair i have no idea what they were doing exactly, or how.

Anyhow, just my musings here. I will be smarter if i manage to run a ZL1 hopefully this July.

Chris do you have actual lap times for John's run? Is Alan a forum member? Sorry cant connect the dots as to who he is. Thanks!
I don't know what the best lap time was - but the car lost 7 mph on the straight at NCM once oil temps got over 270. There was a 2:12 in one of the sessions. It doesn't overheat, or make you shut it down and limp home, but 7 mph is a significant drop off in performance.

The fastest laps will be the first two or maybe three. You'll be able to keep running it all session, but don't expect to go faster. Tires of course factor into that, as does fatigue and everything else on a track day.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote