Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - Texas

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
Ittookalongtime

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE Summit White
ATX Dealer

I recently purchased a used white/stripe, black wheels, 2016 2SS 6M NPP MRC w very low mileage 2k. It’s all stock. The warranty is out in March. I bought it at a Toyota dealership and was now wondering which centex Chevy dealer would be the best to pick up the remaining warranty work. The MyLink goes crazy once in a while, touchscreen won’t work and it acts like it’s controlling itself - changes radio stations etc. And my battery went dead the other day and I got a message that left blindspsot warning was out. My thought is that the car sat arroumd for a while? She runs great. But are there any suggestions to bring the car up to speed prior to the warranty going out?

There are some great TX posters - thanks for all the info!
Ittookalongtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:38 PM   #2
cignul9

Drives: 50th 2SS MRC A8 NPP
I go to Don Hewlett in Georgetown. I didn't buy from there, but their service department has been nothing but amazing to me. I've got nothing but great things to say about that place.

If you go up there, ask for Alicia.
50th 2SS, MRC, NPP, 8A, #991
Join the Club F1FTY Registry!
Add yourself to the registry here.
Read the registry here.
cignul9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:53 PM   #3
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Took me a long time too.... my last camaro was almost 30 years ago. ('70 SS... and yes, wish I still had it). ;-)

I know this is not a gripe forum, but the thread is about dealers to use or not...

Update Jan 22
Still no car. About to contact Captiol Chev GM. Still have a loaner 2SS, but want MY car back... Sales has been great customer service. But the service department experience has been, by far, the worst I've ever seen. Today they've had the car for 14 days. I know it is sitting, not getting attention, as it's warranty work.
in short, you might want to consider other options for warranty work than Capitol.

An update on Jan 16....
Capitol Chevy Austin.
Day 8 of the car being at service. Mind you, I think I lost at least 3 days before they looked at it. Went in today to complain to everyone who stood still, looking for the GM. I must say their response was good. Problems can always occur, but it's how the dealer handles them that differentiates one from another, I think. They listened, understood, were compassionate, and offered me a '19 2SS in same color as a loaner. While I know many dealers might do this (esp in high end cars), I was still happy. They are chasing a frayed/shorted wire coming from fuse box (UBC it's called now?)...

I just picked up my '18 from Capitol Chev. few days before New Years. Not a daily driver mind you. Less than two weeks after picking her up, she popped a check engine light, and 3 onstar messages (engine/tranny problem, stabiltrac problem, and anti-lock brake), all at the same time. To top it off, the onstar button didn't work the first (or any) night. So made appointment at Capitol, dropped her off very early Wed on 1/9. As of tonight, I still don't have it back.... a few more days and they will have had the car for longer than me. I'm talking to a customer relations person now every day and they think they will have it all resolved by tomorrow 1/15. I surely hope this is not typical of their service, but to now, well... I am not happy. I think it sat for days before they touched it. Not sure the purpose of an appointment then...
Sorry for so much gripe, but thought I'd share so other local owners get the straight beef. Again, hope this is not typical of Capitol.

Last edited by Eric10905; 01-22-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: update
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:04 PM   #4
Ittookalongtime

Thanks for info! I’ll keep checking back.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #5
Ittookalongtime

Any updates Eric? I think you had bad luck w your car. I’m not sure how to judge the dealership in this case. I took my car to Gunn in Shertz and they did ok. Thankfully the car seems to not have any issues. Hope yours work out soon - don’t give up on the Camaro I think it is a really fun car that is mostly dependable.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Ittookalongtime, Thanks for asking and checking in!

Jan 25 Sat I was able to pickup the car. After 3.5 weeks.... I was close to getting an attorney and seeing what my legal options were. That still may come...
They said it was a loose pin on the gateway module. Asked what a gateway module was, understood it was a module that polices the other modules. OK... I have no CEL lights or other codes, onstar or otherwise. So hoping the problem is fixed.

But, I have noticed another problem with the A8 shifting in manual mode. I've just posted a new thread on that, to see if anyone else has experienced it. Maybe it's just another loose connection... it doesn't sound like the shuddering problems other thread have described.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547267
Old 01-31-2019, 12:07 PM   #7
cignul9

Drives: 50th 2SS MRC A8 NPP
I replied over there, but the simple answer is that the paddles and the stick in "manual mode" are laggy.

There's not really a way around it that I'm aware of. Tuning the transmission MAY fix it, but I've never heard of anyone that tried it. Just don't use the paddles for "sporty shifting" unless you're thinking 0.5-1.0 seconds ahead of your shift.
50th 2SS, MRC, NPP, 8A, #991
Join the Club F1FTY Registry!
Add yourself to the registry here.
Read the registry here.
cignul9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:56 PM   #8
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

thanks again. Yeah, i even tried shifting well before red line... i tried as early as 4.5-5k, and it would still lag so long that it would start rev limiting. good grief. "Guess it will be D for me."

I still may take it by the dealer... if they do anything to change it or say anything intelligent, i'll post.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:31 PM   #9
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Glad I stumbled upon this thread!

I have a "Service Suspension" message, and will need to take it in.
I was going to go to Henna only because they are close to my work, but Hewlet in GT is closer to where I live...well Covert Chevy in Hutto is actually closer to me, but I took my Silverado there once and the service was very bad...it was scheduled for the Friday before Labor Day, and they told me they didn't have enough Techs to look at the truck.
So I mentioned, why have an appt. if that's the case?
They said even if they did, they wouldn't look at my truck until Tuesday afternoon, and even that may not happen. Asked for a loaner and was told they had none.
I replied with have a nice weekend, and will never come back.

Went to Henna the following Friday, got a loaner...a Camaro at that, my first experience driving a Camaro too.
Truck was done in 3 days...why so soon, I was having fun!!

However, I know Hewlet is a Chevy Performance Dealer, so I may just go there.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:02 PM   #10
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post
Glad I stumbled upon this thread!

I have a "Service Suspension" message, and will need to take it in.
I was going to go to Henna only because they are close to my work, but Hewlet in GT is closer to where I live...well Covert Chevy in Hutto is actually closer to me, but I took my Silverado there once and the service was very bad...it was scheduled for the Friday before Labor Day, and they told me they didn't have enough Techs to look at the truck.
So I mentioned, why have an appt. if that's the case?
They said even if they did, they wouldn't look at my truck until Tuesday afternoon, and even that may not happen. Asked for a loaner and was told they had none.
I replied with have a nice weekend, and will never come back.

Went to Henna the following Friday, got a loaner...a Camaro at that, my first experience driving a Camaro too.
Truck was done in 3 days...why so soon, I was having fun!!

However, I know Hewlet is a Chevy Performance Dealer, so I may just go there.
Hi Ovrkll,
I did get my car back, but took them 3.5 weeks. in fairness, it is Chevys problem and they are just caught in between when it is warranty. but short one service advisor, I really don't like the service department. Sales was great... they were who hooked me up with a brand new loaner 2ss while mine was there.

After that, there was an almost week long follow up. I noticed a crinkle on inside of passenger front quarter panel. apparently, on both side of front end, they missed the lift points once and it offset/deformed slightly the front quarters. When I brought it up and showed them, the service guy owned it. they fixed it (at an offsite shop). So, it's been a bit of an unpleasant journey for me at Capitol service. for what that's worth, if anything.

sorry if this seems like silly question: something you said - what is a Chevy Performance Dealer? I've seen the chevy performance website site... Does that mean they are mod friendly? Or will install aftermarket parts, tune, and honor warranty still?

Thanks in advance! Keep it between the lines when hammering it and screaming yeehaw ;-)
Old 04-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #11
OVRKLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric10905 View Post
Hi Ovrkll,
I did get my car back, but took them 3.5 weeks. in fairness, it is Chevys problem and they are just caught in between when it is warranty. but short one service advisor, I really don't like the service department. Sales was great... they were who hooked me up with a brand new loaner 2ss while mine was there.

After that, there was an almost week long follow up. I noticed a crinkle on inside of passenger front quarter panel. apparently, on both side of front end, they missed the lift points once and it offset/deformed slightly the front quarters. When I brought it up and showed them, the service guy owned it. they fixed it (at an offsite shop). So, it's been a bit of an unpleasant journey for me at Capitol service. for what that's worth, if anything.

sorry if this seems like silly question: something you said - what is a Chevy Performance Dealer? I've seen the chevy performance website site... Does that mean they are mod friendly? Or will install aftermarket parts, tune, and honor warranty still?

Thanks in advance! Keep it between the lines when hammering it and screaming yeehaw ;-)
Hi Eric,
Sorry for the late reply...
I'm not sure, but I think a performance dealer installs performance parts from their mod bin.
When I went to the GM website and clicked on performance parts, then dealers DH in GT showed up.
Hence I'm not really sure if it means they are mod friendly, unless they installed it.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:00 AM   #12
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post
Hi Eric,
Sorry for the late reply...
I'm not sure, but I think a performance dealer installs performance parts from their mod bin.
When I went to the GM website and clicked on performance parts, then dealers DH in GT showed up.
Hence I'm not really sure if it means they are mod friendly, unless they installed it.
No worries, appreciate the reply!
Old 04-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #13
OVRKLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric10905 View Post
No worries, appreciate the reply!
I'll be picking up my car tomorrow morning and will ask to get some clarification on what a Performance Dealer really is.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #14
OVRKLL

Ok, since my last post, I've been to the dealer 3 other times...twice for the same problem and once for a rough idle at cold start.

Of course I forgot to ask about the Performance Dealer thing, so I just emailed Alicia.

This dealership (Don Hewlett) and Service Writer Alicia are the best I found in Austin so far.
Here's my latest issue:

I got a CEL which turned out to be "rough idle at cold start up" and I thought that was normal since it kind of smooths out once warmed up.
However, when I called Alicia, she said to bring the car in so they can look at it. It could be a bad injector or coolant leaking into the cylinder...and a loaner will be ready for me.

I decided to try to clean the TB and MAP just to see if it would make any difference...well the CEL did turn off, but Alicia said I should bring it in anyway. I also broke the wiring harness clip/lock when removing the TB...it is difficult to remove.

Picked up the car today, and they replaced the #5 injector, the wiring harness and the entire TB all under warranty.
I thought they went beyond by replacing the TB and wiring harness...especially the harness since I told them I destroyed it.

I did spend $35 for an air filter, since the previous owner did not change it and the box was full of leaves!!

So if anyone is looking for a legit Dealership, check out Don Hewlett in Georgetown, and ask for Alicia!
You won't be disappointed.