Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > CANADA

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
*UPDATED*: GM rejects Unifor proposals to keep Oshawa plant open past 2019

Sad news, feel sorry for the Oshawa workers and the entire town, it's going to be a nasty year of fighting.
If the outcome is the same, I hope GM goes belly up, they will deserve it, this time they will get NO CANADIAN BAILOUT!!!

https://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/gm-reje...2019-1.4245407
Old 01-08-2019, 06:27 PM   #2
Iroc_Z28

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I understand the frustration but if GM were to go "belly up", Canadian workers at GM facilities in Markham, St. Catherine, Ingersoll CAMI plant and Kapuskasing would also lose their jobs... wouldn't really help the situation
Old 01-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
SQUALO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroc_Z28 View Post
I understand the frustration but if GM were to go "belly up", Canadian workers at GM facilities in Markham, St. Catherine, Ingersoll CAMI plant and Kapuskasing would also lose their jobs... wouldn't really help the situation
GM doesn't care about people.

They were offered alternatives on how to keep the Canadian & American plants open, but they refuse to listen to anyone.

Back in 2009 the executives were getting their year end bonuses while assembly workers were losing their jobs; then they had the nerve to ask for Government bailouts.

They're not going to get the quality awards for products coming out of Mexico, like they did from North American plants.

We can only sit and wait to see what the future holds. In the mean time they'll lose a lot of customer support.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
GM doesn't care about people.

They were offered alternatives on how to keep the Canadian & American plants open, but they refuse to listen to anyone.

Back in 2009 the executives were getting their year end bonuses while assembly workers were losing their jobs; then they had the nerve to ask for Government bailouts.

They're not going to get the quality awards for products coming out of Mexico, like they did from North American plants.

We can only sit and wait to see what the future holds. In the mean time they'll lose a lot of customer support.
They will lose very little "customer support".
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #5
MR-02

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
REmove the bow tie symbol

I say we remove the chey bowtie symbol from our cars bumpers......insert a nice uniform symbol in its spot.
Who has access to a tool / die or CNC machine to start making and selling these?
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2019, 07:22 PM   #6
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Um. No thanks

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Um. No thanks
Ditto here.

Producing vehicles that dont turn a profit is what got GM into a bailout situation to start with. Btw, both govs made a pretty good return on the bailout when they eventually sold their ownership shares. Wishing GM to go belly up and cause massive job losses in many countries -including ours - obviously NOT a good idea.

I feel extremely sorry for the folks impacted, but hoping a manufacturer will continue to produce cars that dont sell any more is without any merit and smacks of lack of any sense of biz reality. Nobody saw it coming until just now?

Reading the link, it seems GM is offering a pretty decent financial package, including retraining. Not many companies are this generous.

Bottom line: all biz is a global affair these days. Alberta has lost 100,000+ of oil patch jobs recently as an example. Biz needs to be profitable for any jobs to exist.
Anyone missing this little detail needs a reality check.
Demanding the impossible never fixed anything.

Time to make an effort to adjust, stay positive - and move on the best we can.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #8
Noreplacement

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Ditto here.

Producing vehicles that dont turn a profit is what got GM into a bailout situation to start with. Btw, both govs made a pretty good return on the bailout when they eventually sold their ownership shares. Wishing GM to go belly up and cause massive job losses in many countries -including ours - obviously NOT a good idea.

I feel extremely sorry for the folks impacted, but hoping a manufacturer will continue to produce cars that dont sell any more is without any merit and smacks of lack of any sense of biz reality. Nobody saw it coming until just now?

Reading the link, it seems GM is offering a pretty decent financial package, including retraining. Not many companies are this generous.

Bottom line: all biz is a global affair these days. Alberta has lost 100,000+ of oil patch jobs recently as an example. Biz needs to be profitable for any jobs to exist.

+1
Noreplacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #9
Iroc_Z28

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Ditto here.

+2
Old 01-11-2019, 04:44 AM   #10
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Ditto here.

Well said. +3.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:58 AM   #11
SQUALO

I understand not producing cars that don't sell, but, my issue is why do you have to keep closing plants in North America (World class plants, awards to back up quality) only to move production to Mexico, other than to take advantage of "slave labour".

If GM is so inclined to the future with electric cars, than why are they scraping the Volt...seems oxy moron to me.

Everyone is entitled to their vision and opinion on the topic, but there will NEVER be another GM vehicle in my lifetime, when I can't support a corporation's way of doing business.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #12
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Chrysler, Ford, Gm , Mazda, Honda, VW , Nissan and Toyota all have plants in Mexico and I am sure there are some I missed

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #13
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
I understand not producing cars that don't sell, but, my issue is why do you have to keep closing plants in North America (World class plants, awards to back up quality) only to move production to Mexico, other than to take advantage of "slave labour".

If GM is so inclined to the future with electric cars, than why are they scraping the Volt...seems oxy moron to me.

Everyone is entitled to their vision and opinion on the topic, but there will NEVER be another GM vehicle in my lifetime, when I can't support a corporation's way of doing business.
Mexico is part of North America and part of free trade agreement. Always has been. Yes their wages are much lower then ours. But so is their cost of living. This may not seem fair, but all auto manufacturers are expanding in Mexico due to lower costs. The list is long and includes European, Japanese and even Chinese companies (surprise!). If GM didnt follow this global strategy they would once again be left behind and be unable to offer competitive pricing. We may not like it, but this is how global biz works nowadays.

This is not dissimilar to what is happening in Europe, where many German, French and other multinational giants have established various plants in ex Eastern Block countries.
Now those folks make much less than folks in Munich and Paris, but they also feel blessed for having new opportunities. And hopefully progress.

Anyway, auto industry has had a bad 2018. A sign of a recession coming perhaps? Sales in China tanked for the first time in 20 yrs. The biggest auto market in the world.
Everyone is cutting and slashing incl Ford, Tata, etc.
Companies are looking for synergies and efficiencies. Ford is getting under the sheets with VW. FCA is looking for a buyer (still). GM is doing a right thing and simply responding to competitive pressures. If they dont they will go under. No business exists for the purpose of providing jobs. They only exist for the purpose of generating profits to their private owners, or public shareholders. Full stop. Those that stop yielding proper returns fail and hence eliminate all jobs they provided. So, sometimes, they need to cut costs (and jobs) not to fail completely.

We can be guided regarding our purchases however we wish. But unless you can dissect a product into all of its components and then figure out where each was designed, where raw materials came from, who refined them, transported them, where it was manufactured and finally: where it was assembled - then you're just guessing at best and quite possibly eliminating your neighbour's job without even knowing it. Bottom line, assembly is just a final component of a very long and complex design and production cycle. That's NOT where cars are MADE.

Outsourcing has been ongoing for a very long time in every other industry and in every other country on our planet: textiles, pharmaceuticals, building supplies, food processing, electronics, tools and yes: auto industry. To single out GM and then expect them to follow different economic rules from their competition would be completely without logic.

It would be nice to be patriotic and support local textile biz, but for us it would mean walking around naked save for a raccoon hat. So clearly new "global village" economy principles require a fresh new look at "values" for it to make some sense.

And finally: it seems GM is actively creating new jobs in Canada and hiring - just different jobs. In growth and hopefully future profit areas.

I know this subject can be hugely emotional and for very good reasons. But we should at least try to take a balanced view of it, as the big picture is not simple at all.

Cheers!
Old 01-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #14
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Chrysler, Ford, Gm , Mazda, Honda, VW , Nissan and Toyota all have plants in Mexico and I am sure there are some I missed
My point exactly.