#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #141
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
Next item to order... fire suppressant recommendations? Just as important locations of nozzles
Like I mentioned: but check for your self: 1) Up under dash spraying up between your legs, under hood, in the interior overhead, in the trunk if you ever go with a fuel cell.

Lots of choices in retardant, bottle size, actuation method, bottle pickup tubes, etc.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #142
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Like I mentioned: but check for your self: 1) Up under dash spraying up between your legs, under hood, in the interior overhead, in the trunk if you ever go with a fuel cell.

Lots of choices in retardant, bottle size, actuation method, bottle pickup tubes, etc.
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #143
SE46

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Not to be a pain but top pro series like IMSA, DTM, World Challenge, etc use fixed windows...so how do they manage it? Has SCCA and/or NASA outlawed Camaro because of a small window?
Not sure about DTM, but I believe World Challenge and IMSA leave it open to the teams to choose either OE windows or windowless with nets...I've seen both. In any case I don't think the issue here is really the presence/absence of a window, it's the size of the opening. I guess it all comes down to personal risks and what you're comfortable with.

I don't want to thread jack any more than I already have. I was really just hoping someone here had some 1st hand experience on whether or not a helmet fits through the opening on a fully developed Gen6 race car.

Nick's car is a beautiful build and has what appears to me to be a very well designed and fabricated cage... halo bars are nice and tight... if it's at all possible in a Gen6, looks like his car would be the one.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:26 PM   #144
NickyRacerBoy

Well she's finally home in my garage now I got a button up a couple scheduled maintenance items. Carly showing service suspension not sure if something wasn't plugged back in. it does allow me to toggle through the different performance traction modes. my buddies tell me that a local industrial park has a scale that's open 24/7 I got to head over there this weekend
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2019, 09:34 PM   #145
racerx8

Drives: '18 SIM 1LE '16 NRB Z06 '21 C8 Z51
Your 1LE looks great Nicky! Have fun be safe. I'm not going as drastic on my'18 1LE but maybe see you at a Northeast track this year.
racerx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:10 PM   #146
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx8 View Post
Your 1LE looks great Nicky! Have fun be safe. I'm not going as drastic on my'18 1LE but maybe see you at a Northeast track this year.
Thanks. Yeah sounds good.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:02 PM   #147
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE46 View Post
Not sure about DTM, but I believe World Challenge and IMSA leave it open to the teams to choose either OE windows or windowless with nets...I've seen both. In any case I don't think the issue here is really the presence/absence of a window, it's the size of the opening. I guess it all comes down to personal risks and what you're comfortable with.

I don't want to thread jack any more than I already have. I was really just hoping someone here had some 1st hand experience on whether or not a helmet fits through the opening on a fully developed Gen6 race car.

Nick's car is a beautiful build and has what appears to me to be a very well designed and fabricated cage... halo bars are nice and tight... if it's at all possible in a Gen6, looks like his car would be the one.
First things first: agree the bulid is superb. To this end, plus getting her home: CONGRATS NICKY BOBBY!!!

As far as the important question of safety that you have brought up: the dimensions of the window opening dont change at all from the outside, hence the same restriction applies regarding window size. If a helmet doesnt fit from the outside it wont fit no matter what one does on the inside. Correct?

As far as how sanctioning bodies deal with insufficient window size (or outright lack of one) is an interesting one however. In top series none of the cars are OEM but purpose build cars. With some exceptions all of them have fixed windows (not OEM solutions, not glass, etc). None of IMSA nor DTM, etc cars have window nets.
Neither SCCA nor NASA has outlawed gen6 from competition because of small windows. I am not aware of any series that would disqualify a car if a driver couldnt pass thru a window with a helmet on. And if there are some, why would they care if top series dont?
Thats the part i find puzzling as clearly top series have the most stringent safety standards.

Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:33 PM   #148
HyperspaceTurd

Drives: 17 1SS 6MT, 09 Tacoma TRD Sport
Quote:
First things first: agree the bulid is superb. To this end, plus getting her home: CONGRATS NICKY BOBBY!!!

As far as the important question of safety that you have brought up: the dimensions of the window opening dont change at all from the outside, hence the same restriction applies regarding window size. If a helmet doesnt fit from the outside it wont fit no matter what one does on the inside. Correct?

As far as how sanctioning bodies deal with insufficient window size (or outright lack of one) is an interesting one however. In top series none of the cars are OEM but purpose build cars. With some exceptions all of them have fixed windows (not OEM solutions, not glass, etc). None of IMSA nor DTM, etc cars have window nets.
Neither SCCA nor NASA has outlawed gen6 from competition because of small windows. I am not aware of any series that would disqualify a car if a driver couldnt pass thru a window with a helmet on. And if there are some, why would they care if top series dont?
Thats the part i find puzzling as clearly top series have the most stringent safety standards.

Cheers!

This is exactly what I was getting at. Sorry someone got butthurt about the Kyle Busch comment. Well no, not sorry actually. My point was it is not even close to fitting through unless your head has been shrunk like Beetlejuice. I totally get the aversion to dying by fire, but if you have your helmet on and the door is seized shut, it's jaws-o-life time in these cars.
HyperspaceTurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:36 PM   #149
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperspaceTurd View Post
This is exactly what I was getting at. Sorry someone got butthurt about the Kyle Busch comment. Well no, not sorry actually. My point was it is not even close to fitting through unless your head has been shrunk like Beetlejuice. I totally get the aversion to dying by fire, but if you have your helmet on and the door is seized shut, it's jaws-o-life time in these cars.
Yep. And about any other car, like tbe ones below. Ps thankfully we have 2 doors. Plus except for fire, in case of an accident one should stay in a vehicle anyway. That's safety 101.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2019, 12:28 AM   #150
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperspaceTurd View Post

Ordered..precious time afforded with these devices
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2019, 12:32 AM   #151
NickyRacerBoy

Didn't get a lot of time to work on the car today but couple things completed. Oil change and installed aero bottom panels of the car. Installed head panels 2 my new Sparco seat you see they're optional you can be installed or uninstalled them
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2019, 11:33 PM   #152
TrackClub

Looking good! Doubke check that your harnesses are DOUBLE BACKED like on the driver's side of the pic below. Passenger side in the pic is quick death...yep even pros dont always get it right...
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2019, 10:32 PM   #153
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Looking good! Doubke check that your harnesses are DOUBLE BACKED like on the driver's side of the pic below. Passenger side in the pic is quick death...yep even pros dont always get it right...
Yes double mounting points tube inserted in the main bar welded both sides of the bar then that tube intern is threaded
Old 03-18-2019, 11:54 PM   #154
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
Yes double mounting points tube inserted in the main bar welded both sides of the bar then that tube intern is threaded
Ok not completely sure what ya mean but to clarify i was referring to the harness BUCKLES. The harness is woven properly thru it on a driver's side (double backed) but NOT on a passenger side. The latter will simply wizzz thru the buckle on impact. Dont care to mention how many of these i have seen over the years. Folks get harnesses to increase safety but dont pay attention to proper way to put them thru the buckles. Or maybe they rely and trust somebody in some shop that has no idea.
Bad end result either way i am afraid. Cheers!