Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
UrbanKnight

Drives: Fastish
Switched to ZLE from a race prepped C6Z06- 2nd outing, now I am happy...

Long or short story- I have been competing in time trial for the past 4 years in a fully prepared C6z running in NASA's TT1 (6:1 power to weight ratio). The corvette is everything you want it to be on the track. Fast, agile, does everything well. I won the NASA East Coast championships at Sebring in the car, and also set the track record for TT1 (2:13.4 if you are wondering... )Financially, well, its all out of pocket, and that gets old eventually.... I think I am generally a "decent" track driver.

I also instruct with most of the large organizations and happened to be instructing one day at a very small local track that we use to test/tune/shakedown cars. A few of us had joked that wouldn't it be nice to have a fast car, that runs well, and is under warranty. We teased about the new ZLE maybe being that car. I'm 6'5, 275#'s. I don't have a lot of sports car options...
At the track that day while we were joking, One of the guys there had a 6th gen ZL1 non LE. We started talking, he said he had been running the track a bunch, and haven't had a single issue with it. I asked to sit in it... I fit.,.. well...That was a saturday. Sunday I came home with the HyperBlue ZLE leftover 18 from a local dealer that you may have seen pictures of running BC Forged wheels on here

I took the car to the local track (the FIRM) in Gainesville florida about 3 weeks ago. Now in my C6z, on Hoosiers, I am running a 1:14.8 there and one of the fastest fendered cars there. I saw two other competent drivers run a ZLE there stock, with a fastest time of 1:15.8 Generally under 1:17 is "fast" on this short track, so I wasn't worried the car wouldn't be competitive. My first time out I was horrible, my best was a 1:17.0 I worried I made a mistake buying this car. I was bone stock, track alignment, and Castrol SRF in the brakes. I hated the brake feel, wasn't confidence inspiring, my gear selections seemed all wrong. I was in a slump. I decided to change pads and give it another go. I swapped to HTC 70/60 combo, no other changes. Tires at 1800 miles, and damn near done. Yesterday I had some open track, so I started running the car.... It clicked, I ran a 1:15.03 after a string of 1:15xxx laps. Car still has more in it, tires don't... Being .2 off of my vette is pretty damn awesome in a stock car weighing 700#'s more, making less power than the vette as well..

Next up- Harness and Hoho's !

Gonna play with pads or maybe end up doing a BBK as I am not in love with the Hawks, but they are way better than the stock pads for me.

I go back to sebring in April to really test this car, granted the camaro is a TT2 car (8:1 power to weight) but I think it may do very well in its division...

If you read this long, or just scrolled down, here is the PDR of that lap. .8 faster than the other ZLE's that have been there...and more to come, although likely won't be tracking much more on stock tires... HOHO time!

https://youtu.be/a2nHwmpVdhY

UrbanKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:23 PM   #2
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Slow
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #3
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Thanks for sharing.

Best of luck at Sebring. Keep us posted.

Are you holding on to the C6?
Old 03-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
UrbanKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Slow
I mean, it’s no JT kicking your ass by a second in your own car, but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Best of luck at Sebring. Keep us posted.

Are you holding on to the C6?
No, it’s for sale
Old 03-17-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Testimonials like this really make me smile. Chevy is building better than world class cars and proving it on a regular basis.

Loved your video.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #6
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanKnight View Post
I mean, it’s no JT kicking your ass by a second in your own car, but ...

No, it’s for sale
Yeah yeah I’ve got some work to do! Let’s get on track together soon
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #7
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Long or short story- I have been competing in time trial for the past 4 years in a fully prepared C6z running in NASA's TT1 (6:1 power to weight ratio). The corvette is everything you want it to be on the track. Fast, agile, does everything well. I won the NASA East Coast championships at Sebring in the car, and also set the track record for TT1 (2:13.4 if you are wondering... )Financially, well, its all out of pocket, and that gets old eventually.... I think I am generally a "decent" track driver.

I also instruct with most of the large organizations and happened to be instructing one day at a very small local track that we use to test/tune/shakedown cars. A few of us had joked that wouldn't it be nice to have a fast car, that runs well, and is under warranty. We teased about the new ZLE maybe being that car. I'm 6'5, 275#'s. I don't have a lot of sports car options...
At the track that day while we were joking, One of the guys there had a 6th gen ZL1 non LE. We started talking, he said he had been running the track a bunch, and haven't had a single issue with it. I asked to sit in it... I fit.,.. well...That was a saturday. Sunday I came home with the HyperBlue ZLE leftover 18 from a local dealer that you may have seen pictures of running BC Forged wheels on here

I took the car to the local track (the FIRM) in Gainesville florida about 3 weeks ago. Now in my C6z, on Hoosiers, I am running a 1:14.8 there and one of the fastest fendered cars there. I saw two other competent drivers run a ZLE there stock, with a fastest time of 1:15.8 Generally under 1:17 is "fast" on this short track, so I wasn't worried the car wouldn't be competitive. My first time out I was horrible, my best was a 1:17.0 I worried I made a mistake buying this car. I was bone stock, track alignment, and Castrol SRF in the brakes. I hated the brake feel, wasn't confidence inspiring, my gear selections seemed all wrong. I was in a slump. I decided to change pads and give it another go. I swapped to HTC 70/60 combo, no other changes. Tires at 1800 miles, and damn near done. Yesterday I had some open track, so I started running the car.... It clicked, I ran a 1:15.03 after a string of 1:15xxx laps. Car still has more in it, tires don't... Being .2 off of my vette is pretty damn awesome in a stock car weighing 700#'s more, making less power than the vette as well..

Next up- Harness and Hoho's !

Gonna play with pads or maybe end up doing a BBK as I am not in love with the Hawks, but they are way better than the stock pads for me.

I go back to sebring in April to really test this car, granted the camaro is a TT2 car (8:1 power to weight) but I think it may do very well in its division...

If you read this long, or just scrolled down, here is the PDR of that lap. .8 faster than the other ZLE's that have been there...and more to come, although likely won't be tracking much more on stock tires... HOHO time!

https://youtu.be/a2nHwmpVdhY
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm curious about how much you notice the weight of the ZLE compared to your C6Z? And what parts of the on track experience do you notice the weight of the ZLE compared to the C6Z?

I have been looking to get into a C5Z or C6Z/GS for awhile now just to help shed the weight. But sometimes it's hard to convince myself to go that route when I could buy a 6th gen ZLE and have a warranty and 90%+ of the performance of a C6Z (after the C6Z has been track prepped).
Old 03-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #8
UrbanKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm curious about how much you notice the weight of the ZLE compared to your C6Z? And what parts of the on track experience do you notice the weight of the ZLE compared to the C6Z?

I have been looking to get into a C5Z or C6Z/GS for awhile now just to help shed the weight. But sometimes it's hard to convince myself to go that route when I could buy a 6th gen ZLE and have a warranty and 90%+ of the performance of a C6Z (after the C6Z has been track prepped).
Honestly, I really don’t feel the weight at all. Seriously. The car is that good. My c6z is full on race car, $4000 coilovers, rediculously stiff springs, cage, the works. The stock ZLE suspension, at least on this short 1.6 mile track, is nearly as good. Things I notice currently: sliding a bit more on street tires(naturally, but god that Goodyear g3r is performing almost like a Hoosier most of the time). Low end grunt- my c6 is 600whp/550tq, so it gets out of the corners better than the Camaro, and the brakes. I’d really like an AP racing kit on the Camaro and to tune/pulley/exhaust to be perfect, but I’m really try to stay warranties/stock and push what I have to the limit. I can’t add any more power to the car, or I’d bump into the same class as my vette. When I go to Sebring next month I’ll really be able to give you the ups and downs of the car as that’s my home track. The Camaro will never be as fast as the vette overall in stock form, but I’m willing to bet it’s very competitive in its class while maintaining creature comforts and most importantly, warranty.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
You really need to join us at Camaro Fest IX this year. We're doing 2 days at NCM and could use another instructor.

Great write-up!
Old 03-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #10
slvrsrpnt

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I was chatting with some of the Autocross guys at Buckingham and they told me you got a ZLE....enjoy it!
slvrsrpnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:41 PM   #11
UrbanKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrsrpnt View Post
I was chatting with some of the Autocross guys at Buckingham and they told me you got a ZLE....enjoy it!
I guess you helped start this.... I never want to drive students cars. But I did want to try out yours. Started me down the dark path...
Old 03-18-2019, 12:49 PM   #12
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Honestly, I really don’t feel the weight at all. Seriously. The car is that good. My c6z is full on race car, $4000 coilovers, rediculously stiff springs, cage, the works. The stock ZLE suspension, at least on this short 1.6 mile track, is nearly as good. Things I notice currently: sliding a bit more on street tires(naturally, but god that Goodyear g3r is performing almost like a Hoosier most of the time). Low end grunt- my c6 is 600whp/550tq, so it gets out of the corners better than the Camaro, and the brakes. I’d really like an AP racing kit on the Camaro and to tune/pulley/exhaust to be perfect, but I’m really try to stay warranties/stock and push what I have to the limit. I can’t add any more power to the car, or I’d bump into the same class as my vette. When I go to Sebring next month I’ll really be able to give you the ups and downs of the car as that’s my home track. The Camaro will never be as fast as the vette overall in stock form, but I’m willing to bet it’s very competitive in its class while maintaining creature comforts and most importantly, warranty.
Thanks for the feedback and insight. Sounds like the ZLE really is an amazing car. I'll look forward to more of your reviews after you get more seat time in it at your home track!
Old 03-19-2019, 04:54 PM   #13
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Do you happen to know my friend Brian Armstrong? He lives in Savannah and has run a ton at Roebling Road, has been to Sebring, and some other southeastern tracks. He instructs with a few different groups.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:53 PM   #14
UrbanKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
Do you happen to know my friend Brian Armstrong? He lives in Savannah and has run a ton at Roebling Road, has been to Sebring, and some other southeastern tracks. He instructs with a few different groups.
I do not know of him.