Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 03-08-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
raidaru

Drives: 2SS
Installing dual colour leds in tail lights

All right, as I live in Europe I need to make some adjustments to my US imported 17' ss camaro. I bought some leds with two colours amber for turn signal and white for reverse and I want to install them in the socket for reverse light. The problem is I don't know how to do the wiring, they have 3 wires, tried some combinations between them but it only lit white. Any ideas?
Attached Images

raidaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:57 AM   #2
Eos

Drives: Camaro Coupé 2.0T AT8 (EU version)
Hi Raidaru!!,
well.. the black wire is the negative (ground) for both yellow and white lights, it's shared between them. The red wire going into the black plug (along with the black wire, too) should be used for the white reverse light and the short wire should be serving the positive signal for the yellow turn light. You should get the positive (turn light) signal from the main car harness going to the rear light assembly so that it can flash properly.

I hope I've helped!

See you!!,
Eos
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
raidaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos View Post
Hi Raidaru!!,
well.. the black wire is the negative (ground) for both yellow and white lights, it's shared between them. The red wire going into the black plug (along with the black wire, too) should be used for the white reverse light and the short wire should be serving the positive signal for the yellow turn light. You should get the positive (turn light) signal from the main car harness going to the rear light assembly so that it can flash properly.

I hope I've helped!

See you!!,
Eos
Hi Eros! I've made some testing 2day, by me it's the other way @ it seems, the thick black wire that goes into socket is indeed the ground, but the amber leds will light up from the red wire and the white leds from the slim black wire. Now I have another problem, the dual led has only one resistor, and that one is on the amber colour, I'll have to add another resistor on the white colour, on the slim wire to be more precise and see what happens.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
raidaru

I've made some modifications, I moved the resistor between the slim black wire(white light) and the black ground wire, for the amber colour I need no more resistor as it will take signal from the front turn signals which already have classic amber bulb. Now My dilemma is if I drive backward and use the turn signal at the same time, what will happen? which colour will overtake? or will it just create a short and catch fire? )))
Old 03-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #5
Eos

Drives: Camaro Coupé 2.0T AT8 (EU version)
Hi Dan!,

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidaru View Post
Now My dilemma is if I drive backward and use the turn signal at the same time, what will happen? which colour will overtake? or will it just create a short and catch fire? )))
Ahahah... if it's just like a kit I've seen mounted on a Fiat 500, it will simply turn on the white reverse and switch it for a second to amber/yellow when the signal comes and back again with the same cycle. So you'll have a white light becoming yellow for a second.

See you!!,
Eos
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote