Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 03-12-2019, 10:36 AM   #1
Rhox

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 50th Anniversary
Please Help Identify the Problem

Hi Everyone,

*also posted this in General forum for more exposure but I think it belongs in this subforum?*

I'm at a loss here. I can't for the life of me figure out what is causing the noise coming from the back of my 2017 camaro ss non-NPP

Here is what I know:

The problem ONLY occurs when I drive very aggressively and go fast. For example: merging on the highway quickly, redlining, 0-60 runs, etc.

Maybe gasses are igniting back there or something? because it only happens under these conditions....Driving normally, it will never make that sound. Only when the engine is really being pushed.

Modifications to the car: Borla S-Type Axle-Back Exhaust with Carbon Fiber tips.

Does anyone have a clue? Is it 'OK' or should I go to the dealer (appointment on Saturday at the moment) to get this sorted out?

YouTube Link: https://youtu.be/yzHi938I9rI

Thanks everyone for your help!!!
Old 03-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #2
red6.2

Drives: 2010 camaro
Have you ever bought eggs from a supermarket before? Does it sound like foam carton rubbing. if so, yes! I have the same issue not as bad as you though. if you open the trunk and you lift the carpet panel you will see lightweight black pieces on the left and the right. you will also see a a tow hook. those pieces is what is causing the issue. once in a while i push the panels down or turn up the music. its embarrassing that you hear that in a 40k car. but whatever. thats what you're hearing. I didn't take it to the dealer because they are just going to put glue or tape on it. Its not worth my time for them to attempt to fix it when i know they're not going to at least try to do a good job fixing it. another gm fail.
red6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:28 PM   #3
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
To the OP, sounds like valve rattle potentially for the ridiculous AFM.

To the first responder, you may be right that it's a bunch of crap jingling around, but to make the point that it's embarrassing that a $40k can make noise is laughable. Then again, I remember when a $40k car was a lot of car for that money. Those days are long gone. However, for it's performance and other things, this car is one of the best ones out there now.
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:41 PM   #4
red6.2

Drives: 2010 camaro
^^^^ wow your really mad at life aren’t you lol. First of all, I’m just trying to help the guy fix the issue. How do you know the guy above didn’t just buy the car to enjoy it and not hear rattling in the rear. Do you see his video? Does that sound pleasant to you? And why yes a 40k is not laughable to hear rattles just like the afm is (Ridiculous). They’re just trying to help with better fuel mileage. No need to get mad. And I own a 6gen ss and it is a great performance car to start of with. Just to clarify what I meant about gm fail is the idea of putting those foam pieces back there. Just like it was a fail to put the charge pad in the back seat.
red6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:01 AM   #5
Rhox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAUSA View Post
To the OP, sounds like valve rattle potentially for the ridiculous AFM.

To the first responder, you may be right that it's a bunch of crap jingling around, but to make the point that it's embarrassing that a $40k can make noise is laughable. Then again, I remember when a $40k car was a lot of car for that money. Those days are long gone. However, for it's performance and other things, this car is one of the best ones out there now.

Never would have guessed it was from the AFM but that could make sense! Thank you!
Old 03-13-2019, 04:03 AM   #6
Rhox

Quote:
Originally Posted by red6.2 View Post
^^^^ wow your really mad at life aren’t you lol. First of all, I’m just trying to help the guy fix the issue. How do you know the guy above didn’t just buy the car to enjoy it and not hear rattling in the rear. Do you see his video? Does that sound pleasant to you? And why yes a 40k is not laughable to hear rattles just like the afm is (Ridiculous). They’re just trying to help with better fuel mileage. No need to get mad. And I own a 6gen ss and it is a great performance car to start of with. Just to clarify what I meant about gm fail is the idea of putting those foam pieces back there. Just like it was a fail to put the charge pad in the back seat.

Thank you for the input! I don't believe its coming from the trunk because it only shows up after the car has been driven hard...I could drive on a 2 hour trip normally and it won't make a sound...but if I floor it...then it pops up