Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #1
Dnfwm

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Heads cam install, am I being too paranoid?

Hey everyone how are we doing today? I have an 18 SS 1LE and am big into road course work. I won last years points championship at our local course for time attack. I am starting to think heads cam is the way to go for road course work instead of a supercharger.

Is the heads cam install difficult? I’m not thinking of doing it myself because I’m terrible at working on cars. However could a knowledgeable mechanic do this install with instructions? Or do I have to trailer the car 12 hours away from me to get to a reputable shop that can do this work. We have a few performance shops where I live, but I have never seen anything posted up for engine work on a gen v lt1. Saying that, these guys also have twin turbo LS cars that make like 2000hp and they go to drag week every year. Am I over thinking the difficulty of this job, or as mentioned, could a knowledgeable mechanic figure it out.

I’m in Winnipeg, MB Canada and the closest reputable shop to me would be Juiced Motorsports in Chicago (that I know of)
Dnfwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
I do recommend go check out local shop in person. Check around shop and see how you feel about it. 1000 hp or 2000 hp shop car really doesnt matter. Most important thing is WHO (mechanic) is going to work on yours.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #3
Hilltopper

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2017 Z06/Z07
Heads and cam will require a tune when the wrench turning is done. These DI engines are totally different animals than the LS/LSX. I would bite the bullet and take the car to a reputable builder/tuner that works on the Gen. 5 LT setups every day. These motors are too expensive to not do it right the first time.

2018 ZL1, Kong Ported LT4 SC, Kooks 2" Headers and X-Pipe, NW103mm TB, ATI Underdrive Pulley 673/688, 2017 Z06/Z07, Kong Ported LT4 SC, Kooks 2" Headers and X-Pipe, NW103mm TB, IW 18% Underdrive Pulley 640/664, 2019 Mustang GT Perf Pkg. 1
Hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #4
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
The labor charged to do heads/cam swaps on these Gen 5 motors makes it so there is not much difference in cost between a supercharger setup or a H/C/I package. For a road course car a Mild H/C/I package would probably be the best option or a Whipple/Magnuson on 7-8psi, but tuning is very critical. Guys seem to be running into a lot of drivability issues with the NA stuff and Boost cars underperforming if you don't choose the right tuner.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #5
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
make sure your going to a GM performance shop. as in a performance shop that specializes in modern GMs. Dont know were you are in canada but there is J&J speed shop in Elma NY (buffalo) and New Era in Rochester NY. I wouldnt take it to a shop that doesnt specialize in LS and LT motors. Ask how many LT1 6.2l cam swaps they have done.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:18 PM   #6
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
You might be impressed enough with having your intake and TB ported and going with all the bolt ons and possibly E85 with a custom tune. That would pick up some substantial power and you would really notice it on tracks. The next step, unless you have the funds to go all out, would be heads/cam. Superchargers just make it a challenge and generate substantial heat. The progressive power from being N/A is hard to beat on track. JMHO
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:58 PM   #7
2SSAustin

Drives: 1LE 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
You might be impressed enough with having your intake and TB ported and going with all the bolt ons and possibly E85 with a custom tune. That would pick up some substantial power and you would really notice it on tracks. The next step, unless you have the funds to go all out, would be heads/cam. Superchargers just make it a challenge and generate substantial heat. The progressive power from being N/A is hard to beat on track. JMHO
No E85 in Canada :(
I live in Regina Saskatchewan a guy in the city I would trust is Gee Performance. He is a very smart guy and done LS / LT / Coyote everything. Hes built his own twin turbo LS Chevy II. I would trust him with my car but I dont have the money right now.
2SSAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #8
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

Drives: Maverick X3 Turbo R
Why don't you just have the dealership do the installation; then have PRAY remote toon it?
hitmix300 is offline   Reply With Quote