Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #127
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
Man! With a reply like that I can't wait for tomorrow morning so that when I jump out of bed the first thing I'm going to do is order a DSC and I'm even going to have them overnighted it.

I got my ZL1 back and I might put the new box in. It’s for sale now unopened and never used but curiosity might win out. While the previous version struggled over bumps, it did make the SS I had feel much more athletic through turns.

That wouldn’t be an awful thing in the heavier ZL1, but it’s no track data or performance metric to go by.

Sweet, for my 911th post I’m writing about handling.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:47 PM   #128
1LE76G

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
He's not "way off" whatsoever. I was an early adopter. It's night and day alright. The OEM controller is correctly engineered, whereas the DSC is typical half-ass aftermarket.

The major crutch the DSC controller has is it doesn't use corner ride heights in it's calculations, and it's always reactive in X and Y axes, not predictive. The DSC software doesn't account for Z-axis position or acceleration whatsoever. It can't know if the car is floating mid-jump or being compressed in a banked turn. This is why the DSC controller can never be as good as this generation of OEM MRC.

The only successes are guys that have vested interests in DSC and are auto-xing with no vertical undulations. It's a particular use case that doesn't apply to road or track.
No ups and downs in autocross? Pretty sure I autocrossed the same parking lot for a most of the season with a few dips and the car handled great loaded up(with DSC).
1LE76G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:04 PM   #129
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE76G View Post
No ups and downs in autocross? Pretty sure I autocrossed the same parking lot for a most of the season with a few dips and the car handled great loaded up(with DSC).
Did you back-to-back the OEM MRC computer to the DSC?
Old 01-31-2019, 02:27 PM   #130
1LE76G

Quote:
Did you back-to-back the OEM MRC computer to the DSC?
Yes, personally i found the OEM a little bouncy on the dips while the DSC wasn't. However later on in the year a guy with a GT350 was complaining about it not dampening well with the DSC while i wasn't having any issues.

Edit: You did mention you were an early adopter, while mine is V3 so perhaps they've made some changes.

Last edited by 1LE76G; 01-31-2019 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 01-31-2019, 02:32 PM   #131
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
You can't tell much about suspension tuning from AutoX.

You need triple digit speeds and a sweeping curve with a dip or broken pavement mid-corner when the suspension is loaded up to really tell how good the tuning is.

There are two very different things going on when you are talking about whether it is better or not. One is ride quality, the other (which to me is more important) is the damping curves on both compression and rebound and how quick it settles the chassis after it is upset from a dip, bump, road imperfection, etc.

What I believe DSC is doing is changing the ride quality under certain conditions, not making the damping curves any better. And by doing that, they are probably making it less stable under certain circumstances because from what I have read about them is they actually soften up some areas.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:42 PM   #132
1LE76G

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
You can't tell much about suspension tuning from AutoX.

You need triple digit speeds and a sweeping curve with a dip or broken pavement mid-corner when the suspension is loaded up to really tell how good the tuning is.

There are two very different things going on when you are talking about whether it is better or not. One is ride quality, the other (which to me is more important) is the damping curves on both compression and rebound and how quick it settles the chassis after it is upset from a dip, bump, road imperfection, etc.

What I believe DSC is doing is changing the ride quality under certain conditions, not making the damping curves any better. And by doing that, they are probably making it less stable under certain circumstances because from what I have read about them is they actually soften up some areas.
Can you explain your reasoning
Old 01-31-2019, 02:44 PM   #133
TRZ06

Quote:
Can you explain your reasoning
Not much to explain, I think my comments are pretty self explanatory.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 01-31-2019, 02:57 PM   #134
1LE76G

Quote:
Not much to explain, I think my comments are pretty self explanatory.
Well if you think suspension tuning isn't important for autocross then I suggest you put some blown out Konis are your camaro, take it to an autocross, and let me know how that goes, because shock tuning is one of the most important features on how a car handles.

Last edited by 1LE76G; 01-31-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:36 PM   #135
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Well if you think suspension tuning isn't important for autocross then I suggest you put some blown out Konis are your camaro, take it to an autocross, and let me know how that goes, because shock tuning is one of the most important features on how a car handles.
One of the big changes the DSC module does is set the "0g" damper strength baseline (their so called "g comfort" parameters). Their off-the-shelf tunes put the dampers at nearly full-soft until a lateral or longitudinal g-force is observed, then the software goes to that table and adds damping resistance. There are several modifiers, but the misleading one is the Camaro software doesn't use the ride height sensors for absolute position, only to calculate damper velocity.

So, the DSC module is reactive, not proactive. If one or more tires is off the pavement, it doesn't know that. The OEM module does account for wheel position, which is why it lands jumps gracefully and the DSC cannot.

If you like the DSC though, then that's really all that matters.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:35 PM   #136
TRZ06

Quote:
Apparently you DO need an explanation.

You took my words to the extreme.

I said "Doesn't matter AS MUCH"

You interpreted as "Doesn't matter AT ALL"

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 02-01-2019, 07:19 AM   #137
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
I just put a set of DSSV’s in my SS1LE. Mainly for tire clearance and camber wear, and hopes of increased performance. I got a great deal on them, and my car rarely sees street time. Hoping they compliment my DH’s and NT01’s. I’ll report back with lap time deltas on my home track.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:16 PM   #138
1LE76G

Quote:
One of the big changes the DSC module does is set the "0g" damper strength baseline (their so called "g comfort" parameters). Their off-the-shelf tunes put the dampers at nearly full-soft until a lateral or longitudinal g-force is observed, then the software goes to that table and adds damping resistance. There are several modifiers, but the misleading one is the Camaro software doesn't use the ride height sensors for absolute position, only to calculate damper velocity.

So, the DSC module is reactive, not proactive. If one or more tires is off the pavement, it doesn't know that. The OEM module does account for wheel position, which is why it lands jumps gracefully and the DSC cannot.

If you like the DSC though, then that's really all that matters.
Thats interesting and i wasn't aware of it not using that. However, you can adjust the high med and low speed velocities on compression and rebound now through the tuning software. Was that not around when you were using the module earlier on? Also i just want to point that i appreciate all the work you did on the suspension part number mega thread!

Quote:
Apparently you DO need an explanation.

You took my words to the extreme.

I said "Doesn't matter AS MUCH"

You interpreted as "Doesn't matter AT ALL"
It was mostly just sarcasm, because you're wrong in your statement. Shock tuning is important in all aspects of driving i.e.. street, autocross, and track. Now if you wanna say something that doesn't matter as much it would be street driving, but there is no way autocross doesn't matter as much as track.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #139
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
It was mostly just sarcasm, because you're wrong in your statement. Shock tuning is important in all aspects of driving i.e.. street, autocross, and track. Now if you wanna say something that doesn't matter as much it would be street driving, but there is no way autocross doesn't matter as much as track.
That guy doesn't track or auto-x his car, yet he likes to act like he is a suspension expert because he paid way too much money to put in solid rear cradle mounts when he only drives on the street.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:31 AM   #140
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
travislambert: Can we get an update on your thoughts on the DSSV swap given you’ve probably had some more track time since your last post about it. Thanks.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote