Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 01-30-2020, 08:46 AM   #43
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
So they sent me the wrong tool to check it with too, they sent me the pushrod thats adjustable height but it has a nut and a locknut, supposedly there is a different tool that is easier to use.

I actually found it easier to thread the rocker bolt in and hold the tip of the rocker off the spring while continuing to tighten the bolt down. I would keep jiggiling the rocker arm and slowly keep tightening until I could tell that the tip of the rocker just started to make contact with the spring. So I considered this my zero lash point, then started to count the number of turns until the bolt tightens up and make metal to metal contact.

Problem is I don't know the thread pitch of the rocker arm bolts, anyone know? If its normal 1.25 for a regular M8 bolt, then I got 1 turn until it tightened up so that would mean I have 1.25mm or .0492in of preload. However I am sure this method isn't accurate enough to get me close to the +/-.010 tolerance that Johnson recommends. Seems like there would be a way to do this with a dial indicator?
use the adjustable pr and find zero lash, measure the adjustable pr with a 8"digital caliper, then add the desired preload to the measured length. That is the length push rod you will need.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:04 PM   #44
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Yep, there is offset bushing etc to allow you to degree the cam in. The factory is like 50 degrees variable anyhow. My original Txspeed cam was 20 degree limiter, and my new cam is zero to 6 due to my aftermarket pistons having huge valve pockets. stock piston it is zero. My C5R chain is heck of tight. no slop
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #45
MeanGreen1LE

Drives: 17 krypton green 1le
Oil pan removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I tried to pivot the chain from the front, but it gets pried / pivoted off backwards as you pull the cam forward. The oil pan was a 45 minute job, not like it was the end of the world.
Sorry to revive this old thread again but I have not found anything on here or YouTube that shows exactly what has to be removed to drop the pan. i.e. to lower the cradle and/or raise engine some.

I’m trying to decide what route I want to take and this seems the best fit for me. I would try to jimmy the chain off the cam sprocket but I’d really like to go with c5r chain so I’m looking at removing the oil pan or entire engine.

Also as some have said I appreciate the good info from oldman, KingLt1 and others; especially all the valve-train guidance I’ve seen lately. I want as much reliability as realistic.
MeanGreen1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:46 PM   #46
oldman

dropping the pan added about 1.5 hours total to the job.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #47
Calubi

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
It amazes me what you guys do in your garages. I wish I had half of that confidence, patience, and experience!

I'm tempted to pull the heads and try reassembling the valve train as a learning exercise. Probably a bad idea. Is there any benefit to upgrading parts of the valve train if staying stock cam?
Old 08-12-2020, 08:12 PM   #48
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
dropping the pan added about 1.5 hours total to the job.
Did that you lower the cradle or raise the motor?
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:25 PM   #49
oldman

did both
Old 08-14-2020, 05:27 PM   #50
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calubi View Post
It amazes me what you guys do in your garages. I wish I had half of that confidence, patience, and experience!

I'm tempted to pull the heads and try reassembling the valve train as a learning exercise. Probably a bad idea. Is there any benefit to upgrading parts of the valve train if staying stock cam?
You could port the heads, to get them CNC ported by a vendor is way overly expensive (in my opinion based on the quantity they port but CNC machines are expensive) Why don't you want to put in a cam?
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:56 PM   #51
Calubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
You could port the heads, to get them CNC ported by a vendor is way overly expensive (in my opinion based on the quantity they port but CNC machines are expensive) Why don't you want to put in a cam?
It's not that I'm against a (mild) cam, I'm just scared to attempt something that involved in my garage! Especially never having done it before. I'd love to learn, though, which is why I've thought about a valve train rework, even if it's just mostly a disassemble and reassemble to get more comfortable with how everything works together. I suppose it's mostly a question of confidence, and how to build it up enough to tackle larger projects like a cam.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:40 AM   #52
oldman

It a hobby for me, so I can see doing heads only. I would go with a Proflow intake valve if you want maximum flow (undercut head), if money is not a big issue. I got my heads ported by Pray things of beauty. The aluminum block does not like many torques / torques so I would go with stock head bolts or ARP studs but only to 105 ft -lbs. Or just buy these studs cause ARP is only thinking about a limited use race engine, not Joe Normal working on his engine as a hobby.

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com...structions.pdf

Last edited by oldman; 08-15-2020 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:35 AM   #53
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calubi View Post
It's not that I'm against a (mild) cam, I'm just scared to attempt something that involved in my garage! Especially never having done it before. I'd love to learn, though, which is why I've thought about a valve train rework, even if it's just mostly a disassemble and reassemble to get more comfortable with how everything works together. I suppose it's mostly a question of confidence, and how to build it up enough to tackle larger projects like a cam.
If this car is not your daily driver, and if you're likely to mod other cars in the future, I recommend that you do the work yourself. I'm sure you know, or can find someone local to help you out. If you were in Georgia, I would be happy to help.
I'm 61 and have been wrenching on cars, motorcycles and boats my entire life and cannot imagine having a modded car and having to rely on others to keep it running. The reality is, there is almost always something that needs tweaking once you start modding. It's a lot more cost effective to do things yourself as well as a lot more satisfying. You will probably find that you enjoy working on your car as much or more than driving it. Look at Oldman for instance; you never see him posting about driving his car, but he's probably had his motor apart a half- dozen times trying out different combinations of parts lol!
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:39 AM   #54
oldman

What, I'm suppose to drive the thing
Old 08-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #55
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
What, I'm suppose to drive the thing
Yes, a minimum of 500 miles between cam changes
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #56
Calubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
If this car is not your daily driver, and if you're likely to mod other cars in the future, I recommend that you do the work yourself. I'm sure you know, or can find someone local to help you out. If you were in Georgia, I would be happy to help.

I'm 61 and have been wrenching on cars, motorcycles and boats my entire life and cannot imagine having a modded car and having to rely on others to keep it running. The reality is, there is almost always something that needs tweaking once you start modding. It's a lot more cost effective to do things yourself as well as a lot more satisfying. You will probably find that you enjoy working on your car as much or more than driving it. Look at Oldman for instance; you never see him posting about driving his car, but he's probably had his motor apart a half- dozen times trying out different combinations of parts lol!
I completely agree. I've been doing my own general maintenance, brakes, and external engine mods since high school, with a few exceptions while lacking a work space. The internal engine work I've had done by shops, mainly from a lack of confidence. And you're right, it's expensive and I'm reliant on them when something goes wrong.

Are there any particular books/manuals you would recommend for learning more about GM engine building? I figure Gen V is probably too new, but are the LS series books/manuals still mostly relevant?