Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #15
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Smile

Hi yeehaw,

Thanks very much, that makes perfect sense and is sort of what I expected.
We would have the same practical issues here with an RHD car when driving through fast-food lines, bank teller lines or entering and leaving parking garages.

And thanks Hazzy for the UK clarification.
Having spent time in the UK driving on the left side I can fully appreciate the reasons you'd want an RHD version of vehicle there.
I got accustomed to driving on the left very quickly by the way, it isn't that difficult a change-over.
I just followed everyone else until it seemed normal after a day or two.
I even got to the point where I looked the correct way first (right rather than left) when pulling out of side streets.

Too bad GM doesn't just produce RHD versions as standard options out of Lansing.
I think that would open up new markets, and aren't they always trying to do just that?

All the best!
Old 11-20-2019, 04:54 PM   #16
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeehaw View Post
Hi all,

This is my 2019 Camaro 2SS in RHD.

Attachment 1011255

Unlike the USA, we don't get any options - Just 1 trim package (2SS) but I can't complain!

I just love this car!

The "Re-Engineering process" to convert LHD to RHD is done via close collaboration with GM and HSV Australia and takes about 100 - 110 hours.

Really interesting stuff here -
Great Vid! Couldn’t help but notice at the end of the video with the before and after of the interior... Does the center console with armrest also get switched out? In the video “after re engineering” the armrest is still in LHD configuration.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:02 PM   #17
yeehaw

Drives: 2019 Red Hot 2SS (RHD)
Not a problem!

Yes when I was in LA I got comfortable driving on your side of the roads in a couple of days as well and had to unlearn it again when got back to NZ

HSV Australia only make 400 cars per year and NZ is allocated 32 units per year! I guess I'm one of the lucky 32

Yes we do a pay a premium as it doesn't come out of the factory in RHD - In fact it has a $20,000 premium compared to a Mustang GT here but it worth every penny imo.

Once I post pics of the interior you'll see what an amzing job these guys have done - Everything looks stock from factory - No rattles squeaks etc.

Apparently they had to remanufacture around 400 custom parts using GM's blueprint so yea there's no way a local conversion shop would be able to achieve this quality.

In a way I think it's good that they don't come out in RHD as my car here is so rare here compared to the huge no. of Mustangs you see on the roads!
yeehaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #18
yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by STYLO LT1 View Post
Great Vid! Couldn’t help but notice at the end of the video with the before and after of the interior... Does the center console with armrest also get switched out? In the video “after re engineering” the armrest is still in LHD configuration.
Yea there are a little niggles:
- The arm rest stays in LHD format. I know the passenger gets lucky in this aspect
- The flasher sound on the turn signal comes off the passenger side pillar (driver in USA)
- They had to swap the mirrors around so it slightly juts out of the enclosure
- The infotainment screen is slightly aimed towards the passenger (driver in USA)

Apart from these issues, it's absolutely amazing - They even managed to swap the HUD around which apparently wasn't an easy job.

I'll do my best to post pics for these.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #19
Gary H

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Enjoy your car, they're awesome
(My previous car was an HSV Clubsport Supercharged by Walkinshaw Performance )

Velossa intake, Rotofab, Mamo TB, Custom ported NX Lid & Jokerz Full tilt ported LT4 charger, 3 port CoolingMist Meth injection - ATI 15% lower pulley, E2X CC, TSP ceramic coated longtubes, de-cat and Borla 60608 to NPP box, JRE tune, BMR rear control & trailing arms, lock-out kit, lowering springs and front strut brace, Custom carbon trim interior, Xpel ultimate front PPF and Prestige window tint with Chameleon Windscreen tint...ever evolving...
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:06 PM   #20
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Thumbs up

Quote:
HSV Australia only make 400 cars per year and NZ is allocated 32 units per year! I guess I'm one of the lucky 32
32??? OMG. Yes that is a very exclusive club.
Congratulations!! Nice ride.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #21
B8TTYVILLEKID

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2 SS
Good Gawd, now that is dedication to get to drive a Camaro !! Headed down there in a couple months, maybe I will see you on the road. All the US guys should be thankful !
B8TTYVILLEKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:41 PM   #22
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Totally awesome ride! And so happy to see your rare ride is giving those fanboy mustang owners some competition. Can’t wait to see those pics.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:47 PM   #23
Mark19

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS A10
Awesome, congrats! I saw that you guys will be getting RHD C8 as well. Very cool.
Mark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:16 PM   #24
yeehaw

Here are some more pics

Name:  rear.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  129.5 KB

Name:  left mirror.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  83.6 KB

Name:  right mirror.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  131.5 KB

Name:  passenger.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  147.3 KB

Name:  driver.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  168.9 KB

Name:  hud.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  194.2 KB
Old 11-20-2019, 11:44 PM   #25
The_Dudebozo

Drives: 2016 2SS
Very cool and welcome to the gen 6 club!
Old 11-21-2019, 12:55 AM   #26
yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
Awesome, congrats! I saw that you guys will be getting RHD C8 as well. Very cool.
Yea, can’t wait to see it in person. Most likely mid 2020 and indicative pricing of around $190k NZD. So it’ll be about $10k more than than the ZL1 being offered by HSV

This will be a game changer for sure!
Old 11-21-2019, 12:59 AM   #27
yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by B8TTYVILLEKID View Post
Good Gawd, now that is dedication to get to drive a Camaro !! Headed down there in a couple months, maybe I will see you on the road. All the US guys should be thankful !
Thanks man. I’m so glad GM/HSV decided to do the RHD. Give me shout when you are here!
Old 11-21-2019, 01:04 AM   #28
yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
32??? OMG. Yes that is a very exclusive club.
Congratulations!! Nice ride.
Thanks man! HSV are planning to ramp up production to 1000 cars per year soon so our allocation might increase but still will remain an exclusive club for a population size of 5 mill