Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-17-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Need help/advice...recurring brake vibration!

Okay, looking for some help or advice. I have taken my car in for brake work at the dealership twice now because of vibration that I felt through the pedal and steering column. Stock 2SS Brembo setup.

They have replaced the rotors, telling me that they were warped. I've been driving Camaros since 1983 and do not brake hard enough to warp them, so I already have my doubts. They also replaced my brake pads.

I now go even more out of my way to baby the brakes when stopping. I also wait at least 15 to 20 minutes after stopping the car before running through any touchless car wash that sprays the wheels. Not sure what else I can do to avoid warping of the rotors, if that's what's happening.

Usually within three to four weeks after the repair, I end up with the vibration again. Is this likely a caliper issue? Any other ideas?

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:07 PM   #2
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Anyone else having this issue?

Old 07-19-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
len_eng

Drives: 2024 Radiant Red 2SS, 1994 Z28,
I just had the same issue with my 2018 2SS. I have over 40K miles and there was a vibration from when braking from 70 mph. They turned all the rotors. For the amount I paid I should have bought four new ones from Rockauto and replaced the pads with ceramics so I wouldn't have to deal with the brake dut.
len_eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
GM covers the rotors and pads for 1yr or 7500 miles. If you are in that time frame I would make the dealer handle it.

Otherwise if you are out of warranty I would try and bed the pads in. Most places surface the rotor and slap new pads on the vehicle and send the customer on their way. Most dont try to bed the pads in at all.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #5
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Sounds like caliper problems
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Thanks all,

I'm well within the warranty period since the last rotor and pad replacements were done. I'll definitely have them check the calipers too.

You've got me thinking about ceramic pads now...hmmm...

Old 07-29-2019, 01:22 AM   #7
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
I am having the same issue as well... I replaced pads/rotors at 18k miles as they had 200 autocross runs on them and I was getting vibrations. I replaced them another year later, and I just did again a few months ago due to vibrations. Each time they are good for about 1k miles, then it comes back.

I just bought a runout gauge so that I can figure out which corner has the issue and I think I will try and rebuild the caliper, see what happens. Any thoughts? Mine is not a bedding issue.

2017 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Double Cab
2017 Honda Pilot Elite
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #8
Paro

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS A8
It's the hubs. GM painted them and they are bubbling up with rust! I ruined my first set of rotor new rotors. Chip off all the paint and get down to smooth metal then use a hub resurfacing drill pad. Maybe paint remover would be easier?? Hubs should always be bare steel. What were they thinking?

Buy a HF dial indicator. You want less than .005" at the outside edge of the rotors.
Paro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:57 PM   #9
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

UPDATE: Took car back to dealer. They said front rotors were warped again! There's no way I warped them...I've been driving like a grandma on those rotors, trying to prevent warping.

Anyway, they had a supervisor test drive the car with me and I was able to demonstrate how I brake and what the vibration feels like. Then he drove it and felt it immediately.

They decided to replace the rotors one more time, under warranty, but this time, the supervisor oversaw the repair and made sure every step was by the book and nothing got over-torqued. He thinks the original tech may have over-torqued when replacing them both times before (same tech).

So far, they're perfect. Will post an update if it happens again...

Hard to believe how much of a difference it makes!

Old 08-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #10
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
UPDATE: Took car back to dealer. They said front rotors were warped again! There's no way I warped them...I've been driving like a grandma on those rotors, trying to prevent warping.

Anyway, they had a supervisor test drive the car with me and I was able to demonstrate how I brake and what the vibration feels like. Then he drove it and felt it immediately.

They decided to replace the rotors one more time, under warranty, but this time, the supervisor oversaw the repair and made sure every step was by the book and nothing got over-torqued. He thinks the original tech may have over-torqued when replacing them both times before (same tech).

So far, they're perfect. Will post an update if it happens again...

Hard to believe how much of a difference it makes!
make sure to bed those new pads and rotors together. Also if you do make a hard stop from a decent speed try and drive the car for another 1-2 miles with no sudden stops. This will give the pads and rotors time to cool down some before you park the car.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #11
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
make sure to bed those new pads and rotors together. Also if you do make a hard stop from a decent speed try and drive the car for another 1-2 miles with no sudden stops. This will give the pads and rotors time to cool down some before you park the car.
Any advice on bedding procedure for stock 2SS setup? I searched online...they're all over the map!

Old 08-05-2019, 12:13 PM   #12
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
for bedding try 60-10mph in a hard stop you'll get some ABS activation but jump on hte brakes hard, do it ~5-10 times but never come to a full stop, drop to 10mph and let it coast off the brakes.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #13
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Come to think of it Ive had very good brakes over all my cars but the Genesis 3.8 those OE Brembo's warped on me for no reason at all. had them turned twice and got rid of the car before it happened, again.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #14
Paro

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paro View Post
It's the hubs. GM painted them and they are bubbling up with rust! I ruined my first set of rotor new rotors. Chip off all the paint and get down to smooth metal then use a hub resurfacing drill pad. Maybe paint remover would be easier?? Hubs should always be bare steel. What were they thinking?

Buy a HF dial indicator. You want less than .005" at the outside edge of the rotors.
What was the runout on the newly installed rotors?
Paro is offline   Reply With Quote