Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Phastek Performance

Old 10-01-2019, 06:41 PM   #1
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Convertible ZL1 rear end pull / wiggle

There’s been a lot of posts about full throttle pull / wiggle (from a roll of 60-80 mph) Some think the cause(s) can be tires, alignment or ELSD. My question for the Z vert guys, is it normal to get this pull and wiggle? I opened her up for the first time @ 1500 miles and boy, oh boy, it was a bit scary. I “generally” knew what to expect from reading posts, but experiencing live and in person is another thing. There’s no way I’d go full throttle with anyone remotely near me.

The conditions, 72F, tires pressures 34psi, relatively new paved stretch of highway, flat and dry, tire temps ~94f. Full throttle @ 70mph, then 80, then 90..

And clearly, ELSD isn’t the issue.

As a note: My 2016 SS was a joy to open up on the same stretch....

The best news anyone can give me is theirs doesn’t do this...then, I’ll start having things checked out.

Thanks

Last edited by Chutzpah; 10-01-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:23 PM   #2
L98 Z28

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6spd Convertible NFG
I can feel the back end squirm but the car (2017 M6 ZL1 vert) stays straight enough. It doesn't break lose to the point of getting sideways at all, just some wiggle. Even with traction control off to avoid acceleration delays when the road is slightly bumpy, it's never been a problem. *Knocking on wood* This would be rolling into the throttle over a second or so, not just flooring it in a heartbeat. Maybe you need more chutzpah?
L98 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
HogmanZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertible
Are you still on the stock GY's? if so, i would say thats your culprit. before i switched to the Michelin PS4's the car was all over the place during normal street driving and random WOT. If you switch to the PS4's, there is very minimal slip along the whole range of acceleration. great tires for street.
HogmanZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #4
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by L98 Z28 View Post
I can feel the back end squirm but the car (2017 M6 ZL1 vert) stays straight enough. It doesn't break lose to the point of getting sideways at all, just some wiggle. Even with traction control off to avoid acceleration delays when the road is slightly bumpy, it's never been a problem. *Knocking on wood* This would be rolling into the throttle over a second or so, not just flooring it in a heartbeat. Maybe you need more chutzpah?
Ha! Yea, Chutzpah goes out the window on the street. The only way I’d really push the Z is on a track, with all the nannies on. Thanks for your input
Old 10-02-2019, 06:17 PM   #5
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogmanZL1 View Post
Are you still on the stock GY's? if so, i would say thats your culprit. before i switched to the Michelin PS4's the car was all over the place during normal street driving and random WOT. If you switch to the PS4's, there is very minimal slip along the whole range of acceleration. great tires for street.
Yep, stock all around.

It just so happens that I’ve been toying w / picking up some 1LE wheels, just to change things up. While I’m at it / now that you mention it, I’ll go the PS4 route.
Thanks for the feedback