Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-20-2022, 09:35 PM   #1
1jaaay

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
What trade in system does Chevy dealers use?

Out of curiosity, what trade in system does Chevy dealers use? I’ve seen the use of NADA, black book on their website but is there a definitive one?
1jaaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 10:00 PM   #2
Yang N’ Bang
17’ Hyper Blue 2SS

Drives: 17’ Camaro 2SS
The ol’ give you the lowest price possible for your trade, mark up the vehicle you’re buying as high as possible.
Yang N’ Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 11:55 PM   #3
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Most dealers will look at the Manheim dealer auctions site to see what they could "theoretically" buy the car for. And they also will call for what they call "buy figures" from other dealers. Example would be if you were trading in a dodge at a chevy dealer. The chevy store would call a local dodge store and get a buy figure, or what would the dodge dealer be willing to buy the dodge trade in from them for. This gives the dealer an out if they dont want to resell your trade or are not in the market to sell what you are trading in.

They can also use the NADA black book. There are several ways to appraise a car, but looking at the Manheim site to see what like model/mile cars are selling for is their likely way to put a number on it.

This gives them the ability to use the line "well I could buy your car from auction at blah blah blah price".
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 12:26 AM   #4
zxspeedspec
Banned

Drives: Faster than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
Most dealers will look at the Manheim dealer auctions site to see what they could "theoretically" buy the car for. And they also will call for what they call "buy figures" from other dealers. Example would be if you were trading in a dodge at a chevy dealer. The chevy store would call a local dodge store and get a buy figure, or what would the dodge dealer be willing to buy the dodge trade in from them for. This gives the dealer an out if they dont want to resell your trade or are not in the market to sell what you are trading in.

They can also use the NADA black book. There are several ways to appraise a car, but looking at the Manheim site to see what like model/mile cars are selling for is their likely way to put a number on it.

This gives them the ability to use the line "well I could buy your car from auction at blah blah blah price".
The best part is when I have access to Manheim and they blatantly lie to me about what "they could sell it for at auction" and I just screenshot my search result and tell them I'll give them that + $500.
zxspeedspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:12 AM   #5
LT1gen6

Drives: '22 LT1 Coupe
How desirable is your car to the dealer in question? Do they have multiple similar models on their lot, or is yours the only one for sale in town/area? Low miles, minty condition, bone stock, with a wow factor? Is it one they want to showcase for sale on their premises? You'll get more money if the answers are "yes" to all of these.
LT1gen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:21 AM   #6
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jaaay View Post
Out of curiosity, what trade in system does Chevy dealers use? I’ve seen the use of NADA, black book on their website but is there a definitive one?
Black book value is what most of them use. Might be some outliers but every dealer I went to uses black book value.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:26 AM   #7
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1gen6 View Post
How desirable is your car to the dealer in question?
You mean amidst the chip shortage? I'd say pretty valuable lol

2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:01 AM   #8
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
I think it varies. Ive traded a bunch of cars over the years.
Check out the current market (cars.com, auto trader..) search/filter dealerships for a similar car/miles/condition as your trade on average and subtract about $3-4k for your estimated trade worth. You may be get less or a little more. You may need to shop around some. Some dealerships will offer way less (low-ball) than another.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:09 AM   #9
KaMaRow

Drives: 2022 ZL1
so Im sure this questions answer changed per dealer but I do know a few dealers I have become friends with and basically they will go with what ever "proof" they can show you of the lowest price "they can get one for" and basically offer you that. IN my area my dealer go off wholesale. What the average auction price is and what other cars like your have sold locally for in the last 30 days. you cant bullshit a dealer they can look at your cars entire sales history and the sales history of any car they want. hey know what you paid are paying and your interest rate and everything about you and your car before they even make an offer.

The ones that use truecar or say they go by Kelly blue book and al that marketing crap is all BS once you go in they will still pull up whole sale and go off that I have yet to ever see a dealer honor bluebook unless in the rare case whole sale was higher. everytime i have ever had a quote from carmax or and of those online before going in it was always higher and once i go there it of course was much lower.

Long story short i wouldn't except any dealer to offer more then what they can get them at auction for.

In had one dealer was upfront and even showed me the prices list they were working from told me the whole process and even their projected profit. All they would offer me was whole sale. They said they were gonna sell it for 7k more then they paid me and that was their profit margin. They had a business to run and employees to pay. I was super cool with it because they were upfront and no bs. with me anyway a straight up no games dealer is worth a few bucks less in my pocket then playing other dealers games.

how ever in todays market things are a bit different with cars like the ZL1 most dealers will pay over to get them some even paying more for them then they sold them for. just depends on their allocations and the customer line they have waiting for one that they can mark it up on. if they can get your car for say 85K and they know they can flip it the next 10 mins to the other 20 people on the list well.... you got room to negotiate. IN that case no price list really matters.
KaMaRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:18 AM   #10
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
looking at the Manheim site to see what like model/mile cars are selling for is their likely way to put a number on it.
This.

Also tells them what can get for it if they have to dump it after transport & commission, which will be increasingly important once new car supply is restored and the market refills with trade-ins.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:42 AM   #11
GXP08jrf

Drives: 2016 1LT 'Vert
As others indicate, In addition to the auction information, dealers will need to adjust the offer up or down depending on a lot of different variables. Will they put your trade on their lot to sell or auction it? Is it a vehicle that is an easy or more difficult sell in the area where the dealer operates? Factors that determine this are the economic make-up of the dealer's neighborhood, are they urban dealer that is more interested in smaller, fuel efficient vehicles to have on their lot rather than a Pick-up that may be difficult to park? Is the trade "rare" in that there is not a lot of comparable vehicles going through auction to make a good assessment. Do they have a lot of used inventory already? Are they part of a dealer network who can afford to take more risks in the trade value and worry less about maximizing profit on your trade? Or are they a small dealer who needs to be more conservative on how much they profit from that transaction? Are you trading on a high demand vehicle or something they've been trying to move for a while? They'll play the psyche game too. If they detect you're eager to make the deal vs having a take-it/leave-it attitude they may factor this into their offer especially if you've already started paperwork or they know how you intend to pay the balance.

In the past I was looking to trade a GMC Sierra. My local dealer that I had several good dealings with previously offered me about $3000 less than what I'd expected on trade. I walked away. I called a dealer about 20 miles away that also had a vehicle I was interested in and asked for a non-binding trade estimate over the phone. They were already $500 above the minimum I wanted contingent on seeing the truck. When all was done, they had bumped their offer another $1000 and got my business for a vehicle that'd been on their lot for nearly 8 months.

A dealer's attempt is to make the most profit off you as possible, not to get you the best deal they can or give you a reasonable price based on auction. And it really depends on what they need out of the transaction to determine their benefit. This is heavily influenced by the locale in which the dealer operates and the vehicles they have to sell. I don't think it's possible to apply a simple formula to how they determine their offer from one dealer vs another.
GXP08jrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:04 AM   #12
super_sxxy322

Drives: '22 Camaro 2SS/1LE
Manheim auctions and Galves.
1/13 - TPW 1/31
2/9 - 3800 - BUILT!
3/2 - 4300
3/14 - 4B00
3/19 - per Chevy chat - finishing up final testing and approvals - dealership ETA 4/16/22
3/29 - 4200 - dealer ETA 4/23
4/5 - 5000 - but can't pick up for another week
4/16 - 6000 - Home Sweet Home
Daily driver... '23 Mazda CX5/Premium Plus (dealer demo)
super_sxxy322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:09 AM   #13
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Dealerships use different tools. If they all used the same tool they wouldn't be able to lowball the customer as everyone would know how much to expect from their trade. You're better off using all the tools available to you and ultimately deciding how much your trade is worth to you. Just a heads up, selling it privately can be a headache so keep that in mind when trying to sell it yourself.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:26 AM   #14
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
The old, "Buy low, sell high" method
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote