Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-16-2020, 05:28 PM   #1
Midblues

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2019 Turbo 4 LT 6sp
Is Sea Foam safe to use with Turbo 4?

Is it safe to use sea foam intake cleaner on these turbo 4 motors?
Midblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
zedts1986

Drives: 2024 2SS 6MT
I've used Sea Foam in every car, lawn mower, snowblower, and motorcycle I've ever owned and never had an issue. It's good stuff.

Old & Sold: 2019 Camaro 1LT M6, RaceChip GTS, RaceChip XLR, ZZP Catted downpipe, JacFab Boost-o-lator, K&N drop-in air filter, ZZP Intake Tube, PTP turbo blanket, NGK 6510s gapped at 0.022"

Motorcycle enthusiast
zedts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
I've used it on mine. Obviously it ran funny while doing it and immediately after, but I haven't seen any issues

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:01 AM   #4
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The use of any solvent based engine running cleaning while perfectly safe for the old carbureted and port injection engines, it is NOT safe for ANY GDI engine no matter what brand you would use, and here is why:

The carbon that accumulated on the piston tops and combustion chambers was a "soft" carbon. Soft and powdery and could easily be loosened and cleaned with these. BUT, a GDI engine no fuel touches the valves to keep them cool and clean, and the deposits bake into a very hard and abrasive (sand like) crystalline structure. So here is where the damage we see occurs. First, if you read the advertisement disclaimers on their websites it states it cleans "up to 40%" of the deposits....you want all of these cleaned from the valves. And while most is expelled harmlessly out the exhaust (except the damage to catalytic converters). BUT the smaller pieces can and do get pushed between the pistons and cylinder walls creating scouring:

Here is a picture of a LGX, the latest GM GDI V6 to show the severity of coking:

Below shows how hard these bake into if you look close:

And here shows the damage this causes to the pistons and rings. And even the cylinder walls can scour as well:

Will this "destroy" your engine? Absolutely not. The damage will increase blow-by and oil consumption and every time this is done, it will cause more scouring. There is no way around it as these are the engines we now have to deal with.

So be cautious. This is pushed all over due to the high profit margins, but ONLY a manual intake valve cleaning is safe, and one only need remove the intake manifold to reach the intake valves and clean them properly. There are videos on you tube to show the right ways, and wrong ways.

Cheers!!

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:25 AM   #5
Midblues

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2019 Turbo 4 LT 6sp
Thanks for the info guys not sure what to do yet. Does GM have a scheduled maintenance for this cleaning?
Midblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:21 PM   #6
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
There are youtubes of walnut shell blasting the intake runner. they sell the stuff to do it at harbor freight. I smell a cottage industry possibility.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote