Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-29-2019, 06:15 PM   #15
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
I sold my M6 ZL1 to get the A10.
I'm a stick guy from way back. I was running 10.90's back in 1979 with a 331cu and a doug nash 5spd stick. I know I can drive...
2010 SS M6, 2013 ZL1 M6, 2017 ZL1 M6, those were my recent cars.

Sure I loved my 17 ZL1 M6, loved driving stick. If you THINK you will launch the car at a stoplight, NOT HAPPENING!!! You will embarrass yourself, its that BAD, so bad that I sold the car. If you don't plan on launching the car go ahead and get the M6. Just KNOW this. if a SS with a A10 pulls up next to you, your going to lose the race. The M6 cant get out of the hole. The A10 in the ZL1 is pretty fun to drive, made a believer out of me. If GM didn't dial in so much TM at launch I would still own that M6 today.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:42 PM   #16
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
I have both the A10 and M6 in my ZL1 1LEs. They are different cars with different personalities. Only you can decide was best for YOU. You have to test drive them. Everything else is opinions and personal biases.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:32 PM   #17
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I have both the A10 and M6 in my ZL1 1LEs. They are different cars with different personalities. Only you can decide was best for YOU. You have to test drive them. Everything else is opinions and personal biases.
I agree but Dealerships are reluctant to let you drive a ZL1 period.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:57 PM   #18
BanOne

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
So interestingly enough I have been shopping for a zl1 1le as well and went to test drive it tonight. Test drove it with an M6 and it was all I expected did not notice to bog,but then again I was not trying to rag it, I just wanted to know if I could handle the ride on a daily basis, answer HELL YES So sitting right next to the one I drove was a normal zl1, so I thought I want to compare the ride. So they let me drive that one as well, get in and it is the A10. Figured I did not care because I am comparing the ride not the trans, always been a manual guy.

Went around the block and was amazed at the speeds of the shifts and the responsiveness of the car, if you think it, it does it. Has me rethinking things.

I feel like I will stay with the manual for the interaction on the road and the occasional track day. If you want the most speed out of the car with an driver that is not an expert, the auto is the way to go.
BanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:19 AM   #19
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
remember the manual has rev match so you don’t have to heel/toe until you’re ready.

i came over from the ford side after DCT rumors were confirmed on the 500 and my 350 sucked ass.

the tranny in this 18 ZLE is my favorite manual of all time. most of my miles are street and i love the car. I’m sure the auto is nice too, and definitely faster. i also fully admit to using the rev match on track, she’s a handful...in a good way
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:00 AM   #20
Artryan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 , 2020 GMC AT4 Carbon Pro
I grew up in an era where automatics in sports cars were gay. I understand the A10 is faster and more advanced, but whatever. If you're into street racing and dick measuring contests at cars and coffee, get the A10. If you are a driving purist that enjoys a closer bond between man and machine, get the M6. I'd say less than 2% of ZL1 owners are capable of pushing an M6 to it's limit, so I personally don't get why so many people trash the M6 for being "slow."

I just enjoy driving mine in a spirited fashion on the twisty back roads. I'm not looking to eek out every tenth of a second in the 1/4 because I'll never be on a track, nor am I roaming public streets looking for a race.

I understand that the A10 would make a great option for a daily driver, so if a ZL1 is your daily, or you are constantly at the strip, then in that case I would probably opt for the A10.
Artryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:42 AM   #21
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
M6 for me as I’m not tracking or drag racing my ZL1! I like rowing thru the gears! Is it slower than the A10, I could care less! As long as I can drive a manual and they are still being built then that’s what it will be. But the age factor may be a problem, early 60s, so it may change. Of course if most all vehicles are EV then no shifting at all. You have to decide which one you want but for sure do a test drive in each to see which one makes you happy! Good luck!!
Old 11-30-2019, 08:53 AM   #22
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
I also have the M6 in my ZL1. Absolutely love it. Not interested in the A10 at all. If I want to drive a slushbox, I have my truck and my wife's Buick Regal.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #23
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
A little rant:

I got the A10 ZLE because I expected it to be faster around a track. It is also a fun daily driver. If you need a bit more engagement, you can shift the A10 with the stick or the paddles like those 'non-purist' F1 drivers do. You may still shift faster than the 'non-slushbox' M6. Also, when people's arguments are based on referring to the A10 as 'gay' or calling the M6 'the men experience' - please note that this is how their sexuality is affected in an automatic, you will likely not have this problem.

Many instructors are using ZL1s to teach on tracks, and I would recommend that you try to find one near your; this should give you a better feel for the capabilities of the car.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:18 PM   #24
stevel664

Drives: 2017 black vert 2019 redeye WB
You go V! The gay comment made me sick too.
stevel664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #25
greaser2

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1 KG
Be nice if you would read the OP post as to why the A10 is technically better and reply. Not give your ride and die manual opinions.
greaser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:42 PM   #26
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
I'm looking for an explanation as to why the A10 is superior to the M6 or manual transmission.
Performance Shift Mode

1. Set the car to Sport or Track mode.

Then either:
2. Mat the throttle, only a split second is required.
or
3. Take a sustained corner at >0.5G.

...and the car will answer with "Oh, so you wanna go racing? OK here ya go!"
and automatically enter PSM. When active, it keeps the revs high in the range for best performance.

Awesome stuff.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:16 PM   #27
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by viurniel View Post
A little rant:

I got the A10 ZLE because I expected it to be faster around a track. It is also a fun daily driver. If you need a bit more engagement, you can shift the A10 with the stick or the paddles like those 'non-purist' F1 drivers do. You may still shift faster than the 'non-slushbox' M6. Also, when people's arguments are based on referring to the A10 as 'gay' or calling the M6 'the men experience' - please note that this is how their sexuality is affected in an automatic, you will likely not have this problem.

Many instructors are using ZL1s to teach on tracks, and I would recommend that you try to find one near your; this should give you a better feel for the capabilities of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel664 View Post
You go V! The gay comment made me sick too.
With all due respect, he said he came from an era when automatics were considered gay (passive, effeminate). I don't think he insinuating that driving an automatic is metro-sexual. But lets be honest. It wasn't that long ago, that if you were serious about racing, you made sure you had a manual.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:59 PM   #28
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
With all due respect, he said he came from an era when automatics were considered gay (passive, effeminate). I don't think he insinuating that driving an automatic is metro-sexual. But lets be honest. It wasn't that long ago, that if you were serious about racing, you made sure you had a manual.
That is exactly what he is doing by bringing it up. Otherwise, why make the claim? Also, I am going to respectfully disagree with you too.

Ahhh forget my nonsense...Lets make this fun?

I come from an era where M6 where preferred by guys that like driving while grabbing the shape of a dildo at all times.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote