#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-01-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Wheel spin?

Hi All,

I was reading the ZL1 appreciation thread, and noticed a comment. The poster mentioned, "I'm getting used to wheel spin..".

So my question, is wheel spin common and can it be a problem?

After going mod crazy with a C5 corvette coupe (see avatar). I decided to melo a bit and bought an SS 1LE as a affordable and livable high performance ride. A C7 Z06 simply wasn't going to happen, C7 GS was expensive and still had a LT1 engine. SS 1LE was more affordable, and had a back seat.

However, I still lurk in the ZL1 section regularly. I may eventually trade my 1LE in for a ZL1. My main concern is that if I purchase a ZL1, I'll find it is much more car than I can ever use (then again duh).

BTW, I have never done a track (in my own car), or a drag strip. My driving is cruising and back roads, or canyons.

Thanks for reading the post.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
It all depends on your right foot. However, there are electronic nannies that are all functioning unless you turn them off, so that is a big plus for safety.

My best recommendation for street driving is a set of Michelin 4S tires. They are always ready to go on the street. The stock tires are very slippery when cold or even when just cruising around, or when it's wet, which may account for the wheel spin comment. The Michelins are probably the best all around street tire that most everyone here will agree on.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
Yes a better tire for street use would benefit a lot concerning wheel spin.
The nannies will reel you in to a certain degree depending on how aggressive you are.
This car is completely docile if that's the way you want to drive or can go into beast mode in a fraction of a second.
Who cares if you don't take it to the track (I don't) and have a shit eating grin every time I take her out for a drive.
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:01 PM   #4
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
If you cannot respect the car's power, don't buy the car.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #5
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
If you cannot respect the car's power, don't buy the car.
That's not a problem.

Had a friend who bought a 2012 ZL1. He advised me not to get a ZL1, said he was constantly breaking traction. Now I understand that 5th GEN ZL1 had a reputation for being a little raw and rough. But his comments were to be noted.

Another friend who is an HP addict. He made a comment once that his car was fun at around 600 RWHP. But at around 700 RWHP he felt like his right foot was resting on egg shells.

Lets use a firearm analogy. A 44 Magnum is an appealing gun. "The most powerful handgun in the world" (doubtful). But it big, expensive, ammunition is also, and if I only hunt squirrels, its not very practical. Makes more sense to stick with a lower caliber firearm. Likewise, if 98% of your driving is under 100 MPH, who needs a ZL1?

(Doesn't mean I wouldn't get a S&W 44 Magnum).

In the end we all make our own decisions.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #6
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
That's not a problem.

Had a friend who bought a 2012 ZL1. He advised me not to get a ZL1, said he was constantly breaking traction. Now I understand that 5th GEN ZL1 had a reputation for being a little raw and rough. But his comments were to be noted.

Another friend who is an HP addict. He made a comment once that his car was fun at around 600 RWHP. But at around 700 RWHP he felt like his right foot was resting on egg shells.

Lets use a firearm analogy. A 44 Magnum is an appealing gun. "The most powerful handgun in the world" (doubtful). But it big, expensive, ammunition is also, and if I only hunt squirrels, its not very practical. Makes more sense to stick with a lower caliber firearm. Likewise, if 98% of your driving is under 100 MPH, who needs a ZL1?

Any 2wd vehicle can have issues hooking w/ over 500 rwhp. One has to know the vehicle, surface and tires...which is the one key variable (assuming you know how to control and handle 500 rwhp on a 2wd vehicle).
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #7
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Just run track mode ptm dry setting. You can floor it everywhere while not getting wheelspin. Makes a crazy noise too while doing it.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #8
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
warm tires in sport mode, there isn't much wheel spin. unless your tires are about shot.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
That's not a problem.

I have the "Dirty Harry" pistol. No matter how often I shoot it at a can or piece of paper. It is still the crowd pleaser where ever I take it.

Don't listen to someone that says don't buy it because he doesn't want you to have a more powerful car than his.

It will still be the crowd pleaser as well as yourself.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:04 PM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I agree with Gunkk but it’s up to the person that wants to buy a ZL1 to know what kind of car they are looking at and the power level they may be getting into. The Z is docile when you need/want it to be and a beast when you are ready to go fast. Just keep the nannies on and you will be okay until you get familiar with the car how it runs and handles and you will adjust to the car in a short time!
Old 07-01-2019, 03:07 PM   #11
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
warm tires in sport mode, there isn't much wheel spin. unless your tires are about shot.
The only problem with this is that it's very intrusive when it does detect wheelspin and that can cause severe instabilty in certain situations. Performance traction management is where it's at. Less intrusive and doesn't upset the car at all. It modulates the power very quickly while still allowing you to accelerate very fast. The best way to test this is in the rain. Try accelerating hard in sport mode and then try PTM wet. Night and day difference. I almost crashed in sport mode because the car sidestepped a lane. PTM wet is far more stable. I know it might sound like I'm exaggerating, but I recommend you test yourself. The PTM feature on this car is one of its best features.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:08 PM   #12
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
The only problem with this is that it's very intrusive when it does detect wheelspin and that can cause severe instabilty in certain situations. Performance traction management is where it's at. Less intrusive and doesn't upset the car at all. It modulates the power very quickly while still allowing you to accelerate very fast. The best way to test this is in the rain. Try accelerating hard in sport mode and then try PTM wet. Night and day difference. I almost crashed in sport mode because the car sidestepped a lane. PTM wet is far more stable. I know it might sound like I'm exaggerating, but I recommend you test yourself. The PTM feature on this car is one of its best features.
I use it on the track.. sport does fine for me around the public streets.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:07 PM   #13
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I must have too much control, cause I had three ZL1's and the Gen5 would break loose with the nannies on, under WOT pulls. My two Gen6 cars, I am not sure I have ever had the tires spin. I never turn off the nannies, and its crazy fast enough for me.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:33 PM   #14
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
To the OP, an SS 1LE will never be a ZL1 - at least that's the epiphany I had while trying to option out an 2SS with 1LE type equipment (at the time you couldn't get a 1LE in a 2SS).

Having said that, anyone that hasn't driven a sports car with the power that a ZL1 has should not expect to drop into the seat and not have to learn how to drive this car. Most folks (me included) haven't driven much, if any, cars with the amount of HP and torque this beast has. Most folks spend most of their lives driving cars in the 200-400 pony range with, generally speaking, either less torque or gearing that is designed for pulling stuff.

Personally speaking, I used to spin the shite out of the tires all the time because I was used to 'jumping' on the gas and the car would respond accordingly. I've since learned that "less is more", if I leave the car to the shifting. Even better, using the downshift paddles to put me into a gear that I can wind her up in without spinning the wheels is a whole lot more fun and Performance Shift Mode is even more awesome.

Judging from previous rides/setups you've had I don't think you would be alarmed by any of this nor would it be a problem for you to adjust to. Others without your experience are going to have the torque monster get their attention a lot more often which is the point of my novella.

My .02.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote