Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #15
Casalino

Drives: 17' 1LE BLK
All the points have been mentioned above. One thing i can say. When i was a little kid and into cars, there was nothing i remember more vividly than sitting in the backseat with my dad doing donuts. Brought the biggest smile and excitement. Also some accelerations in safe parking lots. Your kid would be the happiest kid in the world getting driven around in the back of the camaro
Casalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:49 PM   #16
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfMoon View Post
First, never compare or shop prices on corvette forum. The guys there are pretty good for the most part, but almost all of them suffer from the "I don't pay MSRP, I pay CASH!" mentality when buying that seems to also be followed by "My car is worth MSRP+ because of mods" or "I should get more than KBB Excellent value for my 120k mile car with only 5 repaints and 9,000 "small" scratches". I do agree with never paying MSRP, unless it's a brand new model and hard to come by. I ordered both my C7's and at the time I was happy to pay MSRP on the Z51 since everyone else taking orders was marking them up. Still took me 4 months to get the car even though my dealer had allocations, but constraints on carbon fiber parts held me up.

I have purchased new the following Camaro/Corvettes a a 1995 4th Gen Z28, a 1999 4th gen SS, a 2004 C5, a 2011 C6 Grand Sport, a 2014 C7 Z51 and currently have a 2016 C7 Z06/Z07 and the 2017 SS 1LE, and a 2015 Mustang GT Perf. Pack, so I'll give you my opinions.

Keep the C5 if you are happy with the interior. That is the only reason I don't still have one. Otherwise the platform is awesome and you have a supercharger on it to make up for the power increases of today. Add a 1LE as a daily or fun new car. However, with your comments about the coilovers and scraping, it sounds like you might be done with the car. I've been there too, especially with mods (my 1999 SS was FBO, heads and cam, no mufflers and very fast for the time. I drove it very little after the "new" wore off the mods.

If you are 5'10" or taller, at least 1/2 the back seat in the camaro is going to be next to useless as soon as your son grows a bit. Since you still have a C5, I assume you keep cars awhile and don't "need" the next new thing all the time. Go checkout the car, sit in it and setup your seat, then get out and see how much leg room is there in the back. I refer to my backseat in the Camaro as the "coat check". The Mustang really was no better here, so scratch it off the list.

Don't be afraid of the LT4. I have no issues controlling the power in my Z06 unless I am being careless and use the accelerator as an on/off switch in which case you get either traction control bog or a smoke show. That said, would I buy a ZL1? No. I could have, but did not want to. I wanted to keep the Camaro cost lower since I already have the Z06, and the LT1 is an excellent platform. The price of the ZL1 is too close to the GS, which is too close to the discounted price of the Z06 if you don't need a 3LZ....

The 1LE really is pretty magical and blows me away when driving it. This is probably going to sound kind of negative, but it really isn't: The 1LE handles incredibly well for a car that is much larger and heavier than the C5/C6/C7 and I would bet that it handles as good or better in stock trim than your modified C5. Mag Ride has come a LOOOOONG way and the current implementation is awesome. However, the Camaro feels like a land yacht that is sitting about 8" too high when I get in it after driving my C7Z. Driving on the freeway feels weird and oddly similar to the ride height in my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (mostly kidding). BUT.... the car handles so well in the corners and actually is much easier to get in and out of than any of my Corvettes that this is something I don't want to change. I usually lower every car I own, I have the LG spindles on my Z06 today, but with the 1LE I don't really want to mess with the suspension geometry as it works so well as it is. If there were spindles for it like the C7 I would think about it.

As for your comment "Yet, I would no longer have the ultimate power my C5 has, with the ability to challenge all comers (Roush S/C Mustang, Viper, GTR). But the 1LE does seem more reasonable, and practical for the street.", that is only a couple grand away with a supercharger kit if you really need it and you should best your LS1 numbers unless you have internal mods on the C5.

What exactly are the mods on your C5 and the power output on a dyno, or 1320 times?

In the end, I would tell you to go out today and drive that 1LE and see what your head and your gut say. Just pay attention to the back seat legroom as I mentioned if it is a concern to you.
First I will have to say I appreciate the time and insight you gave to this post.

You clearly know where I'm coming from, and you've "been there".

While I recently got the car painted, and a new windshield, the car won't bring much in terms of trade-in or sale. When I had the local dealership assess it, they informed me it had been in two accidents (I was responsible for one of them). Most potential used Corvette buyers seem to want accident free cars.

The stiff ride and the scraping of the car is definitely annoying. I don't remember it being so bad when I was driving it more. I'm afraid I may be getting too used to my daily driver. However, the coil overs height can be adjusted and made to provide a softer ride. Yet, I still worry about when something is going to "blow". Its what makes having a warrantied, stock car desirable.

At the moment my boy is 5 years old. But I think he will grow up to be tall. He has an uncle that is 6' 4" and all of the family are exceptionally tall. So the back seat reasoning may be mute in a few years. But I have sat in the car, especially at the LA auto show. There isn't a lot of room in there. But it is still a back seat....

I will agree with your comments about the LT4. While I'm not Jeff Gordon or Jimmie Johnson, I've learned to appreciate my driving ability. My friends who have Z06's have said the same thing, moderate your throttle. We'll see. Your right about not needing a 3LZ. The Z06 comes equipt standard with the minimum equipment that lesser models make buyers pay for the upgraded package.

My car has an A&A supercharger kit, smog legal. It also has a ported throttle body, ported LS6 intake, PRC stage 2.5 LS6 heads from Texas Speed, and a stage 1 cam from A&A Corvettes. It has dynode as high as 622 rwhp and around 513 ft-lbs. When I start to push the pedal their is always more!

Thanks again!
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:08 PM   #17
HalfMoon

Drives: '18 JLU Rubicon, '19 Golf R
No Problem Mister Will. I have been there and know what you're saying regarding the fear of upcoming failure/impending doom!!

If you ever make it up to the SF Bay Area hit me up before you come and we can sync up for some food or drinks.

Good luck on your decision, but I think you may have already made up your mind..
HalfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:47 AM   #18
Juniorv130

Drives: 2022 1LE
Same issue

Sorry for reviving a zombie thread, but I have a shot at one of 2 1LE's for a good price. I currently have a c5 with some bolt ons, no blower, but it's mint and a blast. It's just barely getting used and I am always alone in it. I currently have a 3 year old and am considering the jump to the 1LE. one black, one krypton green (which i can't seem to get away from!). I'd love to be able to cruise with my family. Of course so corvette guys consider it a step down. I respectfully disagree and I'm a corvette guy!

Anyone have experience with a kid back there that is still in a seat? Also, I drove the black 1LE last week and the only thing i kept thinking was, this car is fast but not nearly as raw fast as my C5. No disrespect intended, but the LT1 just felt so smooth; not raw and aggressive which I've come to love. Then again, my car has headers etc...

Having both is not an option as garage space is a key here. I should also mention that I used to have 2010 Red Jewel 2SS/RS and i miss it!

thanks!
Juniorv130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #19
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniorv130 View Post
Sorry for reviving a zombie thread, but I have a shot at one of 2 1LE's for a good price. I currently have a c5 with some bolt ons, no blower, but it's mint and a blast. It's just barely getting used and I am always alone in it. I currently have a 3 year old and am considering the jump to the 1LE. one black, one krypton green (which i can't seem to get away from!). I'd love to be able to cruise with my family. Of course so corvette guys consider it a step down. I respectfully disagree and I'm a corvette guy!

Anyone have experience with a kid back there that is still in a seat? Also, I drove the black 1LE last week and the only thing i kept thinking was, this car is fast but not nearly as raw fast as my C5. No disrespect intended, but the LT1 just felt so smooth; not raw and aggressive which I've come to love. Then again, my car has headers etc...

Having both is not an option as garage space is a key here. I should also mention that I used to have 2010 Red Jewel 2SS/RS and i miss it!

thanks!
My 9 and 11 year old boys LOVE our 1LE... and they fit in back only because I'm 5'8" and don't need to have the seat all the way back. But even for them, it's tight back there when the seat come back down by their legs. Getting in and out is a slight chore but once in there's room for them... for now. Not sure what'll happen as they hit puberty or get a big growth spurt. My 2000 SS is spacious compared to the 2017.
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #20
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
I sold my c5 z06 trailer queen for a 1LE and couldn't be happier. The car is a rocket on a track and fantastic DD. Having said that, if I didn't track my cars I'd likely spend the $ on a nice 2SS instead.

EDIT: the Recaros may be worth a 1LE even as a DD.

Last edited by TrackClub; 08-11-2017 at 08:52 AM.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #21
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I bought a 2ss for winter duty while I owned a z51 c7. I enjoy driving the ss more (usually) and am able to drive it more (have kids). I'm now trading both cars in on a zl1 which is essentially like taking the ss and z51 and merging them into one car. With the exception of the status and open roof, this is basically a no-compromise swap, oh and I'll save ~2000/yr on insurance/storage/maintenance costs with just one car. The zl1 in winter should be fun. (I may have to buy a mini cooper or something)

I owned a c5z06, so I know this is going to be a major step up for you. I actually dont think you will need the 1le.. drive the 2ss with mag ride first. Its a uber capable car.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #22
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
I sold my c5 z06 trailer queen for a 1LE and couldn't be happier. The car is a rocket on a track and fantastic DD. Having said that, if I didn't track my cars I'd likely spend the $ on a nice 2SS instead.

EDIT: the Recaros may be worth a 1LE even as a DD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub View Post
I bought a 2ss for winter duty while I owned a z51 c7. I enjoy driving the ss more (usually) and am able to drive it more (have kids). I'm now trading both cars in on a zl1 which is essentially like taking the ss and z51 and merging them into one car. With the exception of the status and open roof, this is basically a no-compromise swap, oh and I'll save ~2000/yr on insurance/storage/maintenance costs with just one car. The zl1 in winter should be fun. (I may have to buy a mini cooper or something)

I owned a c5z06, so I know this is going to be a major step up for you. I actually dont think you will need the 1le.. drive the 2ss with mag ride first. Its a uber capable car.
Thanks for the feedback (everyone).

I would definitely prefer the 1LE. I want the best handling package. I like canyon carving and we have some roads around San Diego that rival the Tail of the Dragon (they may be even better). Then of course a corvette would be even better (new C7). But with the better suspension settings and tires, the 1LE is a now brainer. The exceptions would be a ZL1 is I decided to spend the money, or the impending Z28. However, all I see is speculation, nothing seems to indicate that a Z28 is actually coming. It seems those test mule sightings were the ZL1 1LE.

Then again, the ZL1 seems to be just insane, especially for the street. Heck even when I see a comparable car in my S/C C5 I generally don't race them (in most cases also insane). I would consider a Shelby GT350, but the 1LE for much less. A C7 Z06 is out of the question. A Grand Sport C7 is doable. But if an LT1 is okay, then a 1LE is too with a back seat. Even if the seat becomes un-usable, its still good because the C7 doesn't have a usable back seat either.

Then there is what I keep hearing about just how good the Alpha chassis is.

Then there is the other bottom line. My S/C C5 while it gathers dust in my garage, is paid for, and only requires occasional maintenance costs.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #23
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
If it gathers dust: it is time
I'd say a 1LE is like a GS with 4 seats.
ZL1 is like a Z06 with 4 seats.
In either case the Camaro Recaros are miles better seats than in the Vettes. Plus Camaros are super fast, yet much better DD cars at the same time.
Apart for some motor tweaks (for the benefit of the Camaros) those cars have Corvette top dogs tech and Cadillac platform, which is amazing. For LESS $$$. Doesn't get any better than that IMO.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #24
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideZX6R View Post
Some thoughts regarding power/overall differences...
[*]1LEs should dyno about 380-395whp stock - and the power delivery/throttle response is VERY immediate because of the DI system [/LIST]
Pretty much every dyno Iv'e seen posted on the internet for the 6m LT1 averaging around 400whp and the A8 380ish stock.

OP may miss the power he's used to going with the SS 1LE? I'd go with the ZL1 and be done with it.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #25
NCSD

Drives: Nightfall, 2SS, A8, MRC, NPP,RE-71R
You are right, San Diego has some awesome roads. Palomar mountain, Banner grade, mesa grande, De Luz, Highland valley etc. All perfect for a 1LE, or SS. Camaro vs C7 corvette on those roads is a drivers race if the camaro driver knows the roads. I wouldn't call a 1LE a downgrade on those roads. I bought my camaro because of the back seat. Its great, I'll take the family down the coast or on short drives, but to be honest, when it comes to Palomar mountain, the whole family gets car sick before I get half way up the mountain. My youngest is 11 and it is getting tight for him in the back, but an hour or two is doable. I'm over 6 foot so it's pretty cramped when someone is in the back. I still do it though. When you have a family your priorities change.

Last edited by NCSD; 08-11-2017 at 09:18 PM.
NCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #26
R.C. Collins

Drives: 2017 Camaro
I had to choose between the SS 1LE and the ZL1. I could never put down 2/3rds of the power the ZL1 has on tap where i drive (twisty mountain roads) so the SS 1LE was a better fit for me. I know most of So. Cal's backroads. The 1LE (V6 and V8) was made for these roads. Get the 1LE. You won't regret it.
R.C. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:33 PM   #27
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
I would honestly test drive both I would drive the c7 z51 and 1le , the corvette is more exotic and handles far better than a c5, the 1le is definitely more of a daily driver and better all around. The c7 is def another level of the c5 , I think you would love the 1le I actually feel better on the track with the 1le the entrance of the turns is better the c7 the exit of the turns. If you don't miss the targa go 1le. If you don't have the mountain roads or tracks near by , and only have straights the zl1 is def more visceral, the 1le can feel slow at times unless turning. But if you have many canyons and a track to get to its probably better bang for the buck as motor trend put it the zl1 is a heavy weight fighter the 1le is a ballet dancer carving through
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote