Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
I have a question for you experts. I have been looking for a new ride with a back seat. I currently looking at Camaros. I like the power of the ZL1 and it's road handling capabilities. But the price tag and the weight (and MPG) do concern me. I like the 1LE and it's road impressive track times. Most of my high performance driving is in canyons.

While there are big differences between the two, I was think a few CARB compliant mods on the 1LE would even the comparison. I could buy the ZL1 and leave it stock. HOwever, buy the 1LE with it's lighter weight. put CARB leagal shorties, Cold air intake, and ported TB. then reduce th3e weight of the 1LE by 200 lbs. This would significantly even up the power to weight ratio of the cars. Then with the 1LE we would have a lighter, NA, car for canyon cruising and country drives. But the ZL1 would have the obvious power advantage. I also have to admit, the ZL1 comes in first in all performance catagories.

So what to do. By a parctical 1LE and lightly mod it, or get the expensive heavy ZL1 which blows the competition away?

Thanks for the replies.
Please tell me how you plan on reducing the weight of the 1LE by 200 lbs.
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_SS View Post
Lookup Docs build thread. It's very possible without gutting the interior.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #17
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebuffalo View Post
My opinion is this: Are you going to track(road course) the car more than twice a year? If yes ZL1, if only driving on the street 1LE.
I disagree. I would say both are great on a road course. The ZL1s power will get a beginner in trouble sooner. But if you want to run a road course and the drag strip, then the ZL1 is best choice if you have the $$.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
The ZL1 is easy to drive and the traction control keeps everyting in check on the track.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #19
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinoSS View Post
This man has a sick ride!
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
OP, if you want to go canyon carving I'd go with the lighter car. The LS3 has more than enough power to get you in trouble there.

You will have trouble getting rid of 200 pounds on an SS without tossing big stuff and/or spending ZL1 money. So if you want the lightest 1LE get a 1SS with NPP being the only option. This is also the fastest 1LE. Then if you want a bad boy 1le in the spirit of light, build yourself a NA bored, cammed LS3. Even with shorties, 500 rwhp is possible. Then go with 18" wheels. Don't forget to do all the bushings too. Then go hunting ZL1s.

The ZL1 is a great car, but physics are not on your side and DIY can be more fun.

+1000 on the SUKXOST 1LE. Have a look at his build journal.

^My 2 new best friends. Thanks guys
Old 09-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #20
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Coming from the Corvette platform to a Camaro is only going to disappoint if you're looking for the same experience. Can't overcome power/weight without a lot of money and if you want to stay carb compliant, forget about it. As far as wanting a back seat, I hope it is not for seating purposes.

It would be very hard to leave the 1LE "far" behind in the turns, unless your friends are in supercars... add some big brakes and stainless lines and you can hold your speed into the turns much longer than most. Do some suspension upgrades, coil overs and busing. You could also focus on dropping some weight... if you have the money to spend you can make some big gains in this area.... think CF.

The goal of the engineers (got it from them 1st hand) in building the 1LE was to have a Camaro that felt and drove lighter, mission accomplished. The SS with 1LE is the best balanced fifth gen... but a corvette it is not.

Good luck!
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #21
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Both are great cars, all depends on the $. And also if you want an auto you can get it on the ZL1. If $ is not a limitation and you want the best, then by all means wait for the Z28.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
t&t moyer
It's all hers.

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I like my 1LE and for tight running and back road hammering, it's the trick ticket in my book. I'm just a sucker for NA over charged. The ZL1 would be my next choice though especially once the road opens up a bit.

Keeping things CARB CA legal is the hard part while squeezing NA horsepower out of it. Sticking with OEM cats sucks. My 1LE pulled 410 rwhp tuned at New Era using JBA shorties, JBA HF cats, VMAX TB, RotoFab CAI with the NPP exhaust. Yep, warranty is out the window, more mods are coming over the winter, still keeping it NA and I'm looking to be 500+ rwhp for spring time....... Because I can

Ask 100 people and you'll get 100 different answers.
t&t moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #23
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Actually shouldn't that be "because I cam"?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #24
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_SS View Post
Lighter seats, wheels, rotors, Carbon fiber driveshaft, etc. probably doesn't add up to 200, but it's a start.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #25
tramtwo

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170965
Old 09-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #26
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Coming from the Corvette platform to a Camaro is only going to disappoint if you're looking for the same experience. Can't overcome power/weight without a lot of money and if you want to stay carb compliant, forget about it. As far as wanting a back seat, I hope it is not for seating purposes.

It would be very hard to leave the 1LE "far" behind in the turns, unless your friends are in supercars... add some big brakes and stainless lines and you can hold your speed into the turns much longer than most. Do some suspension upgrades, coil overs and busing. You could also focus on dropping some weight... if you have the money to spend you can make some big gains in this area.... think CF.

The goal of the engineers (got it from them 1st hand) in building the 1LE was to have a Camaro that felt and drove lighter, mission accomplished. The SS with 1LE is the best balanced fifth gen... but a corvette it is not.

Good luck!
That's right, a camaro is not a corvette. Never has been, never will be. A camaro is cheaper more practical (extra seating) alternative to the performance of a corvette. But a stock camaro will never keep up with a corvette. A corvette is simply lighter, has a bigger contact patch, and usually more power. The corvette has better balance, better suspension, and so on. However, the corvette suffers one major flaw. It doesn't have a third seat.

My friends are in C6 Z06s.

The Camaro 1LE is an excellent package. I just never thought I would see the day that 426 flywheel horsepower wasn't enough.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #27
tramtwo

The Camaro has a back seat but there is zero leg room... check it out before you pull the trigger.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #28
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
The Camaro has a back seat but there is zero leg room... check it out before you pull the trigger.
I've had 2 full grown adults in mine. I'm 6'2" and still had plenty room to drive. We went 35 miles with no issue. My son always sits in the back. We basically stopped using the SUV.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote