Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-03-2022, 02:08 PM   #43
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Currently only 2% of the vehicles on the road are EV. Of those, 20% of the owners would not want another EV vehicle. The inconvenience is real.

California has man made blackouts. How are you going to charge your car everyday if the electricity is turned off? During summer, we are told to not use our A/C. So apparently California's grid cannot handle everyone turning their A/C on at the same time. So how are we going to charge 2 or three EVs per house hold? What about people who don't own a house? How about College Dorm students with cars? People who live in high rise apartments? Is every parking spot going to be a charging station?

Will they build up the grid ? Maybe, but there is a law in California that all cars sold in California will be zero emissions by 2030. That's 8 years form now. Keep in mind they are not building new generating plants. They think that Solar and wind will give us the electricity we need.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/24/2...on-2030-newsom

The current presidential administration has legislatively shut down oil production in America. So America is deliberately limiting oil production while mandating the sale of Electric vehicles.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 02:47 PM   #44
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Currently only 2% of the vehicles on the road are EV. Of those, 20% of the owners would not want another EV vehicle. The inconvenience is real.

California has man made blackouts. How are you going to charge your car everyday if the electricity is turned off? During summer, we are told to not use our A/C. So apparently California's grid cannot handle everyone turning their A/C on at the same time. So how are we going to charge 2 or three EVs per house hold? What about people who don't own a house? How about College Dorm students with cars? People who live in high rise apartments? Is every parking spot going to be a charging station?

Will they build up the grid ? Maybe, but there is a law in California that all cars sold in California will be zero emissions by 2030. That's 8 years form now. Keep in mind they are not building new generating plants. They think that Solar and wind will give us the electricity we need.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/24/2...on-2030-newsom

The current presidential administration has legislatively shut down oil production in America. So America is deliberately limiting oil production while mandating the sale of Electric vehicles.
All valid points. What is interesting is California is the state with the most EVs on the road.

Tesla is selling as many Model 3 and Y as Toyota Camrys and RAV4s.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 3.32.23 PM.png
Views: 329
Size:  58.1 KB

From a charging perspective you can program the EV to charge at a specific time but if California is that restricted you could still have issues. The argument a lot of EV proponents make is that the average person drives less than 30-50 miles per day. If you own a home with a garage or can get 50 amp service then you should charge at home and be fine (assuming they don't keep restricting the grid in your state). They still need to solve charging in apartment complexes and for longer distances in rural areas, etc. Tesla has done a good job in our area with their superchargers but I never use them as I charge at home. That said, I see they are much more congested than a couple years ago.

As for charging multiple EVs, Tesla has a Wall connector that will split the load amongst multiple EVs. So, say you can feed it an 80amp to the primary, it will then split 40/40 if charging two EVs at the same time.

I don't think it will matter much for a while since the limiting factor is battery production. GM and Ford are building battery plants along with others but batteries will be the holdup as well as the high cost of EVs. Folks will move to EVs when they cost the same or less and are not inconvenient.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 03:41 PM   #45
Mister Will

If the technology is better, the pe
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
All valid points. What is interesting is California is the state with the most EVs on the road.

Tesla is selling as many Model 3 and Y as Toyota Camrys and RAV4s.

Attachment 1093271

From a charging perspective you can program the EV to charge at a specific time but if California is that restricted you could still have issues. The argument a lot of EV proponents make is that the average person drives less than 30-50 miles per day. If you own a home with a garage or can get 50 amp service then you should charge at home and be fine (assuming they don't keep restricting the grid in your state). They still need to solve charging in apartment complexes and for longer distances in rural areas, etc. Tesla has done a good job in our area with their superchargers but I never use them as I charge at home. That said, I see they are much more congested than a couple years ago.

As for charging multiple EVs, Tesla has a Wall connector that will split the load amongst multiple EVs. So, say you can feed it an 80amp to the primary, it will then split 40/40 if charging two EVs at the same time.

I don't think it will matter much for a while since the limiting factor is battery production. GM and Ford are building battery plants along with others but batteries will be the holdup as well as the high cost of EVs. Folks will move to EVs when they cost the same or less and are not inconvenient.
If the technology is better, drivers will buy EVs. Which is how it should happen. The Government should not force people to buy a certain product. Especially when the car, and infrastructure are not readily available to support it. But will they build up the grid by then? How much will it cost? Have you seen the national debt lately. This is being driven by an ideological agenda, not reality.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:18 PM   #46
raptor5244

Quote:

If the technology is better, drivers will buy EVs. Which is how it should happen. The Government should not force people to buy a certain product. Especially when the car, and infrastructure are not readily available to support it. But will they build up the grid by then? How much will it cost? Have you seen the national debt lately. This is being driven by an ideological agenda, not reality.
You have to give Tesla credit for building out over 30,000 Superchargers so far. The tech is really good. It shows you all the chargers on the map and even tells you how many charging stalls are currently available at those locations.

You click to to navigate and it will start preconditioning the battery as you drive to the Supercharger location so it can accept the highest charge rate possible.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.17.01 PM.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  77.1 KB

https://www.tesla.com/supercharger
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 03-03-2022, 06:31 PM   #47
Mister Will

Quote:
You have to give Tesla credit for building out over 30,000 Superchargers so far. The tech is really good. It shows you all the chargers on the map and even tells you how many charging stalls are currently available at those locations.

You click to to navigate and it will start preconditioning the battery as you drive to the Supercharger location so it can accept the highest charge rate possible.

Attachment 1093283

https://www.tesla.com/supercharger
Compared to how many gas stations, which take a mere 3 minutes to fill up and be on their way.

This still does not address the amount of electricity needed for 100s of millions of cars.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:39 PM   #48
raptor5244

Quote:
Compared to how many gas stations, which take a mere 3 minutes to fill up and be on their way.
Unless it is a Costco gas station.

Kidding aside, I fully agree. Our Tesla only works for us because we can charge at home while we sleep and don't take long trips. We could take a trip but it would be easier with an ICE vehicle to quickly fill up and go. That said, the Supercharger rates at 250kW or 1000 miles per hour is pretty impressive. 75 miles of range in 5 minutes. Imagine as the battery tech keeps improving even more over the next decade and if Biden gets his way they will be building 500,000 EV charging stations form coast to coast.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 03-03-2022, 06:48 PM   #49
Mister Will

Quote:
Unless it is a Costco gas station.

Kidding aside, I fully agree. Our Tesla only works for us because we can charge at home while we sleep and don't take long trips. We could take a trip but it would be easier with an ICE vehicle to quickly fill up and go. That said, the Supercharger rates at 250kW or 1000 miles per hour is pretty impressive. 75 miles of range in 5 minutes. Imagine as the battery tech keeps improving even more over the next decade and if Biden gets his way they will be building 500,000 EV charging stations form coast to coast.
Image what a Costco charging station would look like. BTW, I see you have a Gas powered back up vehicle (ZL1) I figure most people who own Teslas have one as well. Most people who buy Teslas have the means. Do you think those who don't ($) will be able to afford a car that costs at $40,000.

Again, where is the electricity for that coming from? There will have to be in increase in generation. We are basically going to have to rebuild our infrastructure. How are we going to pay for that? We have a national debt of 30 trillion dollars.

BTW, Biden presidency, for all intensive purposes, will be over by next January. The people are just fed up.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:17 PM   #50
Rodslnger

Drives: camaro
The character of Built cars Dies with EV.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:56 PM   #51
raptor5244

Quote:
Image what a Costco charging station would look like. BTW, I see you have a Gas powered back up vehicle (ZL1) I figure most people who own Teslas have one as well. Most people who buy Teslas have the means. Do you think those who don't ($) will be able to afford a car that costs at $40,000.

Again, where is the electricity for that coming from? There will have to be in increase in generation. We are basically going to have to rebuild our infrastructure. How are we going to pay for that? We have a national debt of 30 trillion dollars.

BTW, Biden presidency, for all intensive purposes, will be over by next January. The people are just fed up.
Totally agree they are too expensive but the average price of a new vehicle is now $47,000. The base Tesla Model 3 is now $45k plus destination and tax so figure $50k.

GM is supposed to release EVs like this for $30k. I am not sure I believe it though.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...x-ev-revealed/

We have two other ICE based vehicles, son drives a 2017 Honda Civic and I have the ZL1 but I don't drive much, maybe 4000 miles a year. The Tesla is the daily driver workhorse since it saves us quite a bit of money on fuel and makes driving in traffic more tolerable with one pedal driving and the cool tech. I had a Tesla Model 3 Performance as well but grew bored with and wanted a ZL1 before they stop making them. I figure I can always get another Tesla or EV in the future but supercharged V8s, not so much.

As for the electricity, I have no idea but it should be entertaining to watch it play out.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 03-04-2022, 06:49 AM   #52
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
Quote:
I figure I can always get another Tesla or EV in the future but supercharged V8s, not so much.
Even "worse" - new EVs will be better, so getting ZL1 is win win

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 10:01 AM   #53
Mister Will

Quote:
As for the electricity, I have no idea but it should be entertaining to watch it play out.
Interesting because that's what I think the politicians are thinking.

The answer. They want America to ditch our car culture.
Old 03-04-2022, 01:35 PM   #54
manders500

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Camaro
My neighbor sold 2 GTRs and an '18 mustang and bought a Plaid. While the Plaid is FAF, it is soulless and he is now looking for a ZL1 or Z06.
manders500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:39 PM   #55
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by manders500 View Post
My neighbor sold 2 GTRs and an '18 mustang and bought a Plaid. While the Plaid is FAF, it is soulless and he is now looking for a ZL1 or Z06.
Been there done that with a Model 3 Performance and now I have a ZL1. I am just waiting for all the other enthusiasts to go through this phase.

Keep your V8 folks, EVs are quick but it gets old pretty fast and then you are left with a pretty numb experience. Maybe Dodge will figure out a way with their "Emusclecars", time will tell.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 03-04-2022, 05:39 PM   #56
red6.2

Drives: 2010 camaro
you guys remember paper straws and how they were going to produce less of plastic straws? Its been two years since that happened to cali and everywhere i go all restaurants serve drinks with plastic straws, because they are simply better. Hence, why ICE>EV. Let them drive buy fast ev's for 70~120ishk because to fix it sometimes its cheaper to buy a new (Iphone)! p.s. everyone i know that bought a tesla sold theirs for a loss cause because of charging circumstances and its daily drivability annoyances.
red6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote