Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #1
ZZorro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE - A10
FYI - chip shortage

So for all of us waiting for our cars - in case you haven’t heard Toyota is suspended all new builds at their US factories because they have no modules to run the vehicles and they don’t want to keep stacking them up…!!!

Was wondering if the Big 3 will follow suit…?

Thoughts …?
ZZorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:46 PM   #2
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
I’m not waiting on a car, but that’s surprising. I can see the big three having issues, but not Toyota. Imo.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:54 PM   #3
s2mikey

Drives: Buick, Toyota
My thoughts are..... Damnit. I just ordered my Camaro a few days ago knowing it wont be until early spring next year that I'll see it. Now, I hope its not even longer. :(
s2mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:02 PM   #4
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
My thoughts are..... Damnit. I just ordered my Camaro a few days ago knowing it wont be until early spring next year that I'll see it. Now, I hope its not even longer. :(
I work in the industry as a supplier for honda (i.e. their production schedule is ours), and there are rumblings of our direct plant shutting down some lines coming up, and our orders for specific models have dropped *drastically* for the next few weeks. So far our schedule hasn't changed for our workers, but I can see it dipping perhaps, if we catch up and run out of space.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #5
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
Not surprising. BMW cut their sales forecast for the year at the last earnings call. Every automaker is affected.
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:07 PM   #6
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
I’m not waiting on a car, but that’s surprising. I can see the big three having issues, but not Toyota. Imo.
Why would you think Toyota is somehow exempt from a global supply shortage of chips? And chips are the only thing getting air time. There are global shortages of many, many basic materials in the industry. Chips are just the hardest to deal with because there is not substitute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZorro View Post
So for all of us waiting for our cars - in case you haven’t heard Toyota is suspended all new builds at their US factories because they have no modules to run the vehicles and they don’t want to keep stacking them up…!!!

Thoughts …?
GM and Ford have been parking cars for a while now. In some cases GM has been shipping trucks without AFM simply because the module isn't available and the truck runs just fine, just always in 8 cylinder mode.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:59 PM   #7
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
It is bad, recently the forecast was that we're all good but it is definitely not. I order about 100 vehicles or more a year for my fleet and had to abandon Chevrolet because they couldn't guarantee government concession sales, and then Ford said you better get your asses in here and order with earnest money right now for super duty trucks, after October you're waiting maybe a year. No idea when and if it'll get better...
Old 08-20-2021, 12:48 AM   #8
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Wow so this will continue to push for the current higher prices on used cars and of course affect those waiting on new cars.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2021, 02:42 AM   #9
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
Wow so this will continue to push for the current higher prices on used cars and of course affect those waiting on new cars.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Camaros are in production. 2022 starts soon I think. A few dealers around here have been getting new ones.

Now if China invaded Taiwan that could be a even bigger problem for the chips!!

Edit according to a new article by Gm authority two days ago production on 2022 camaro has begun. Actually it's a month ahead of the original schedule.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 05:40 AM   #10
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Why not build a chip factory here?
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 05:52 AM   #11
DooIt

Drives: 21 SS 1LE M6 Red Hot
I see major disruptions happening in the future. Hopefully GM keeps LGR open so you can get your cars.
DooIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:30 AM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
Camaros are in production. 2022 starts soon I think. A few dealers around here have been getting new ones.

Now if China invaded Taiwan that could be a even bigger problem for the chips!!

Edit according to a new article by Gm authority two days ago production on 2022 camaro has begun. Actually it's a month ahead of the original schedule.
Mostly, cars landing on lots right now are 2021's.

GM has been pushing vehicles through that aren't fully equipped. Various items are being left out of the build, the customer saves a whopping $50, and that's it. Stop/Start on some, climate control screens on others, various options across the board. What really irks me is that ordered vehicles are also prohibited from adding these items, so you're out of luck.

I was eyeing the possibility of moving from my current car to a 2022, but there's no way to know that a new one will ever arrive or that it will be 'complete'.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:11 AM   #13
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZorro View Post

Thoughts …?
Nothing new. Toyota had stockpiled more supply and the shortage has finally caught up with them.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/toyota-...es-11629372702

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLT1 View Post
Why not build a chip factory here?
Intel has 3 huge fabs going up (at least). Will be a couple years before they are constructed & validated for production. Previous CEO got the boot because he (an accountant) decided he wanted to be penny wise and didn't invest in capacity.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:30 AM   #14
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Would seem these shortages would be an incentive for auto manufacturers to begin putting money into building their own chip fabs, or, go in together in getting something going. Only a matter of time before China takes Taiwan and things just get worse, and, with the huge EV push, even more chips will be needed.
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote