#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-28-2021, 12:25 PM   #15
scgms1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
I'm curious if a cat back exhaust would pass California inspection? What about a catch can?
Hi Mark,

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/attac...1&d=1622222415

From 3 back, yes - from 17, 18 back, no. After the primary catalysts those are secondary catalysts. GM says exhaust aftertreatment.

Catch cans are modifying the PCV, so unless they have a CARB approval number that would be a no.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Exhaust.pdf (235.5 KB, 102 views)
scgms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:48 PM   #16
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Pretty harsh. Enforced by an ever tightening electronic control grid / open air prison / surveillance state.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:06 PM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think even anyone living outside of this crap state is a fool if they think they aren't next... I HOPE not, but I'm betting I'm right...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:00 PM   #18
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Race cars belong on trailers and not driven on public roads.

Problem comes from modified cars polluting more than stock DRIVEN on public roads. That is where these shops are getting into trouble - and rightfully so.

You should not have the right to pollute everyone's air above legally allowed amounts. Defeating pollution control devices = trouble. Just ask VW and all the coal rolling idiots, you can partly thank them for this heavy handed enforcement.

Sizeable enforcement is here and getting stronger.

Aftermarket shops are getting picked off one by one. Whether your sell, make, install or any combination, EPA is coming for your books and then.. the FINES.

Looks like one of the current targets are piggy back that modify signals into stock ECU. Everyone wants a race car for the "street".. EPA says.. nah bro.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:11 PM   #19
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post

Problem comes from modified cars polluting more than stock DRIVEN on public roads. That is where these shops are getting into trouble - and rightfully so.

You should not have the right to pollute everyone's air above legally allowed amounts. Defeating pollution control devices = trouble. Just ask VW and all the coal rolling idiots, you can partly thank them for this heavy handed enforcement.

Aftermarket shops are getting picked off one by one. Whether your sell, make, install or any combination, EPA is coming for your books and then.. the FINES.

Looks like one of the current targets are piggy back that modify signals into stock ECU. Everyone wants a race car for the "street".. EPA says.. nah bro.
Strong disagree.

The EPA doesn't care about emissions being better than OEM or not. If they did they would just sniffer test a car and if it is stock or better, they would pass it. Instead, they have visual inspections, anything without a CARB sticker fails. the aftermarket must spend ridiculous money and jump through hoops to try to get CARB approval. This basically closes the door for any smaller shops to make CARB parts.

The smog requirements in CA in most populated counties are way worse than most other states. I do not have any data, but pretty sure the enthusiast car and motorcycle community impact on emissions is statistically insignificant. The EPA is trying to make the case they need to stay around for 20+ more years even though gas cars are losing more and more share.
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:06 PM   #20
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
I wonder how much pollution jet planes put out ? Does the EPA monitor them ? Never mind, there giving them the blues also, I researched it. Wow the EPA is probably underwater checking submarines emissions ! LOL

Last edited by Revalot; 06-11-2021 at 07:28 AM.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:38 AM   #21
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
Strong disagree.

The EPA doesn't care about emissions being better than OEM or not. If they did they would just sniffer test a car and if it is stock or better, they would pass it. Instead, they have visual inspections, anything without a CARB sticker fails. the aftermarket must spend ridiculous money and jump through hoops to try to get CARB approval. This basically closes the door for any smaller shops to make CARB parts.

The smog requirements in CA in most populated counties are way worse than most other states. I do not have any data, but pretty sure the enthusiast car and motorcycle community impact on emissions is statistically insignificant. The EPA is trying to make the case they need to stay around for 20+ more years even though gas cars are losing more and more share.
Completely agree. If you have been listening to the Climate change activists and The comments by the president, the goal is zero emissions within our lifetime. They are using the EPA to enforce this agenda. Who are turning the screws to force us out of fossil fuel burning cars.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:38 AM   #22
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post

Wow, we know who you voted for.

In any event, the EPA doesn't care about clean air. If they did, they'd be more concerned about the real poluters...heavy trucks/18 wheelers, etc. You can line up 20 Camaro's with full catless exhausts they wouldn't come close to one dump truck in emissions production. Don't get me started on the airlines!
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:59 AM   #23
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDaddy82 View Post
Wow, we know who you voted for.

In any event, the EPA doesn't care about clean air. If they did, they'd be more concerned about the real poluters...heavy trucks/18 wheelers, etc. You can line up 20 Camaro's with full catless exhausts they wouldn't come close to one dump truck in emissions production. Don't get me started on the airlines!
If we want to keep driving these cars, we should all vote the same!
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:14 PM   #24
JonDaddy82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
If we want to keep driving these cars, we should all vote the same!
Christ. I just spent a week in California for a work thing, first time there. Based on what I saw, Californians should have all their voting rights revoked for life, period. They clearly cannot vote or manage a state properly, let alone anything federal.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
Old 06-11-2021, 12:30 PM   #25
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDaddy82 View Post
Christ. I just spent a week in California for a work thing, first time there. Based on what I saw, Californians should have all their voting rights revoked for life, period. They clearly cannot vote or manage a state properly, let alone anything federal.
You have no idea how bad it is, trust me.

The worst thing is this guy legit thinks the EPA has got his back. Like they are on a crusade and sht helping keep race cars off the streets because the poor kids can't breathe because all of the pollution the race cars are causing.

It is the same with the ATF and "gun guys" that are pro gun control. dont worry your guns and stock zl1 are not too far off the chopping block.
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #26
JonDaddy82

Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
You have no idea how bad it is, trust me.

The worst thing is this guy legit thinks the EPA has got his back. Like they are on a crusade and sht helping keep race cars off the streets because the poor kids can't breathe because all of the pollution the race cars are causing.

It is the same with the ATF and "gun guys" that are pro gun control. dont worry your guns and stock zl1 are not too far off the chopping block.
TRUTH!
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
Old 06-11-2021, 01:19 PM   #27
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
anything that has 3 letters should be abolished

atf epa fbi dmv lol
Old 06-11-2021, 02:53 PM   #28
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
If they really did care about emissions, they'd be pressing the nations that are increasing their pollution. Pretty sure those emissions can fly across the ocean.

Can you tell me a tuned car with a clean burn (dialed in afr) is putting out more emissions than a stock car running pig rich? In the end it always comes down to $$$
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote