Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #1
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
ZL1 manufacture in Winter?

I recall reading a while ago that Chevrolet did not manufacture ZL1s in Winter. This was due to the sensitivity of the OEM tires to cold temperatures.

I have been watching the local lots. The pickings are slim and they don't seem to be getting any new ZL1s for their inventory. Could it be that ZL1s simply aren't being made at the moment?
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #2
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
There really aren’t many zl1s in the first place
Old 02-26-2020, 11:04 AM   #3
Stevezx900

Drives: Buick Grand National, BMW M5
I would think the factories are busy making C8s and put ZL1 production on hold till inventories are depleted at dealerships.
Stevezx900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #4
900RFWN

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 1LE
It wouldn’t make sense to halt production in winter just because of the tires. A car could be built in the spring and sit for a long time which would defeat the purpose. I don’t know when all these ZLEs were built. Mine was one of eight here this day. Built in the summer of ‘18. The pic was taken early March 2019. Sat all winter.
Attached Images

900RFWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:18 PM   #5
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevezx900 View Post
I would think the factories are busy making C8s and put ZL1 production on hold till inventories are depleted at dealerships.
Impossible. All Corvettes are only manufactured at Bowling Green Kentucky. That is the only car built at that factory.
I would guess all Camaro's are built at the Lansing factory.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #6
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
There is a ton in Texas.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:01 PM   #7
Stevezx900

Drives: Buick Grand National, BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
Impossible. All Corvettes are only manufactured at Bowling Green Kentucky. That is the only car built at that factory.
I would guess all Camaro's are built at the Lansing factory.

I guess you learn something new everyday.
Stevezx900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #8
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
They're built year round. Dealers don't like to sit on such cars naturally. They are summer toys for most buyers and don't sell nearly as easily in the winter as they do in the warmer months. They're usually blown out before December and restocked in April-May. They're assembled in Lansing, MI as said above and unfortunately that means your car may see some nasty weather. However, they're wrapped up in quite a winter bunting after being built and inspected and that is not removed until they're PDI'ed at the dealership.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:40 PM   #9
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I knew it was a while ago.

For the 5th Gen.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328730
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:30 AM   #10
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
They're built year round. Dealers don't like to sit on such cars naturally. They are summer toys for most buyers and don't sell nearly as easily in the winter as they do in the warmer months. They're usually blown out before December and restocked in April-May. They're assembled in Lansing, MI as said above and unfortunately that means your car may see some nasty weather. However, they're wrapped up in quite a winter bunting after being built and inspected and that is not removed until they're PDI'ed at the dealership.
Wrapped in what?
Mine wasn’t wrapped. It was dirty as hell. But the base Corvette that arrived also was wrapped. That pissed me off.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:29 PM   #11
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
They are for sure manufactured during winter months. I have the factory build sheet for mine from the GM portal. Mine left the factory on Dec 12th, 2017. Arrived to the dealer on Dec 26th, 2017. These do tend to sit around a bit though. I purchased mine on June 8th, 2018 from a dealer in So Cal. It sat in there show room waiting for me. LOL! Purchased with 7 miles on it.
Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #12
Tachitup

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE M6; previous 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900RFWN View Post
It wouldn’t make sense to halt production in winter just because of the tires. A car could be built in the spring and sit for a long time which would defeat the purpose. I don’t know when all these ZLEs were built. Mine was one of eight here this day. Built in the summer of ‘18. The pic was taken early March 2019. Sat all winter.

GM doesn't ship ZL1 1LE during months where the temp is below freezing.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:00 AM   #13
IntimidatorZ

Drives: 14 Silvy 1500 Z71; 20 Camaro ZLE M6
I thought I remember though that, I believe it was just the ZL1 1LEs aka the A1Z package, had a constraint on them from approximately January or February-March or April last year and I thought that was related to the 3R tires not making it in the extreme cold temps much of the northern US and southern Canada saw last winter, but it very well could have been constrained for a different reason. I remember a particular poster from, I believe NY, had his delivered right in the dead of winter and the car showed up to the dealer with all 4 3Rs cracked and a total loss. Granted this winter has been much better at least here in Michigan. I don't think we saw negative Fahrenheit temps (non wind chill) at all so far this winter.
IntimidatorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #14
363mp

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
My 2020 ZL1 wasn’t wrapped in anything. Not a single piece of scratch protection was on it when it arrived to the dealership on 11/26/2019. The only thing it had on it was some foam bump guards on the doors. The car was dirty as hell and after I brought it home and sprayed it off (never touched it with a rag) about a week later I noticed a shit load of light scuff marks all over the car when sitting in the sun. The trunk lid being the worse part of the car and a couple quarter size dull spots on the front fenders. I notified the dealer and we decided to wait until the weather breaks in PA, to drive it to the dealer for inspection. I couldn’t hold out until then so I had the paint corrected and ceramic coated. 2 guys worked on it for 12 hours, and the paint is about 95% perfect now. I JUST filled out a GM new purchase survey and I made sure I told them about the paint. Besides that I love the car and everything else appears to be perfect. I just can’t believe GM spends all that time on the paint, than transports it unprotected.
363mp is offline   Reply With Quote