Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-22-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
NorCalLT1

Drives: SS
Cat delete/removal

So im trying to remove the passenger primary cat so i can weld an 02 bung. is there a trick to removing the cats? right now im trying to remove the 2 studs mounting the primary to the secondary cat but they are not budging, tried a lot of penetrating lube, heat and nothing. would the driver side be easier to remove or is there a different/easier way to get the passenger side off?
thanks
NorCalLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:11 PM   #2
Purplt1

Drives: 2020 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLT1 View Post
So im trying to remove the passenger primary cat so i can weld an 02 bung. is there a trick to removing the cats? right now im trying to remove the 2 studs mounting the primary to the secondary cat but they are not budging, tried a lot of penetrating lube, heat and nothing. would the driver side be easier to remove or is there a different/easier way to get the passenger side off?
thanks
Had to use air tools to get mine off.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:00 PM   #3
NorCalLT1

Drives: SS
i gave up on the passenger side. i cannot get those studs to budge regardless of heat or lube. so i switched my attention to the driver side. i have everything unbolted and now im trying to slide the primary cat off but im caught on the lip where it meats the rest of the exhaust. i should be able to slide it off without having to cut it off right?
NorCalLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:27 AM   #4
ZeroZeta

Drives: 18 Camaro SS
Did this over the summer. Because I am poor - I did this on jack stands with hand tools. - I installed the bung on the passenger side cat.

Some things I learned

Breaker bar will likely be necessary.

The cat can only be removed by sliding it down so you will need to drop the aluminum brace (it pivots from the front.) You can't remove the cat by sliding it back since it hits the secondary cat. (unless you are pulling the entire exhaust when you do this.)

I actually didn't have much hassle with the two connectors going from passenger cat to the secondary cat.

Remove bolts - Spray with PB blaster. Let sit over night. Then remove the threaded connectors. It took a bit of back and forth to crack them loose. But once done they came out and reinstalled very easily.

Driver side - The connector for the passenger side is welded at the top and does need to be cut to allow it to fully disengage.

But you probably don't want to cut it unless you are replacing the rest of the exhaust.