Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-29-2020, 07:48 PM   #1
SSallday

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 / ‘22 ZLE
My ZL1 Transformation

Hi everyone,

I thought I would share with you my ZL1 transformation from the day I bought it to now. Earlier this year I was torn between getting a new ZLE or keeping my car. As time went on, I realized that it didn't financially make sense to buy a ZLE. Now, I'm currently in the process of adding the ZLE aero to my Z. I already installed the aero pieces for the front, but I'm still waiting for my Anderson Composites wing. If everything works out, I will be picking the tires up tomorrow. GM is in process of getting me a discount on the ZLE rims so I won't have them until a later date. I would also like to include the list of the parts and places where I bought them in this thread. I will update as parts arrive.

P.S.
Thank you to all who have helped me throughout the process
SSallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:52 PM   #2
SSallday

Transformation:
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2020, 07:53 PM   #3
SSallday

Parts:
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2020, 08:50 PM   #4
Twist ZL1

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Looks really great. I assume that the side skirts are the same satin black as the canards and splitter? I cant really tell from the pictures. Also, the total cost for this is only $732 and some change with shipping? That's seems crazy low.

There is no way I could deal with the suspension on a ZLE considering the horrible roads we have in PA and the fact that it is essentially my daily driver 8 months a year. The regular ZL1 was definitely the right choice for me, but I do love the look and amazing performance boost of the 1LE. I would love to do this to my ZL1, especially at that price, which again I find really low. I bought the OEM ground effects package for 2017 Cadillac CTS that cost around 2k. Maybe they were so much more because they were paint matched and the 1LE aero pieces are not?
Twist ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:04 PM   #5
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
So let me get this straight you changed the front end of a zl1 to a zl1 1le for 700 and change. That's pretty cheap. So im wondering now the difference between 1le and zl1 is front fascia, rear wing, dssv suspension and rear solid cradle bushing. Im i missing something?
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:50 PM   #6
SSallday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist ZL1 View Post
Looks really great. I assume that the side skirts are the same satin black as the canards and splitter? I cant really tell from the pictures. Also, the total cost for this is only $732 and some change with shipping? That's seems crazy low.

There is no way I could deal with the suspension on a ZLE considering the horrible roads we have in PA and the fact that it is essentially my daily driver 8 months a year. The regular ZL1 was definitely the right choice for me, but I do love the look and amazing performance boost of the 1LE. I would love to do this to my ZL1, especially at that price, which again I find really low. I bought the OEM ground effects package for 2017 Cadillac CTS that cost around 2k. Maybe they were so much more because they were paint matched and the 1LE aero pieces are not?
I agree. The roads are terrible in this state. I can't imagine the damage my car would have if I drove it in the winter. As for the side skirts, they are the painted oem skirts that came with this car. The sides skirts, splitter, and diffuser are satin black on the 1LE. I think the shipping is what kills the price. Some sites wanted over $1k for everything. GMPARTSNOW has 50% off shipping on orders over $299, which is probably the best deal I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
So let me get this straight you changed the front end of a zl1 to a zl1 1le for 700 and change. That's pretty cheap. So im wondering now the difference between 1le and zl1 is front fascia, rear wing, dssv suspension and rear solid cradle bushing. Im i missing something?
They have a great deal for shipping. Those are the main differences, but I think there are some small differences as well. I believe the glass on the 1LE is a tad thinner than a regular Z. Also, I think the 5th or 6th gear on the 1LE is shorter

Last edited by SSallday; 11-29-2020 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:09 PM   #7
Twist ZL1

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSallday View Post
I agree. The roads are terrible in this state. I can't imagine the damage my car would have if I drove it in the winter. As for the side skirts, they are the painted oem skirts that came with this car. The sides skirts, splitter, and diffuser are satin black on the 1LE. I think the shipping is what kills the price. Some sites wanted over $1k for everything. GMPARTSNOW has 50% off shipping on order over $299, which is probably the best deal I've seen.

They have a great deal for shipping. Those are the main differences, but I think there are some small differences as well. I believe the glass on the 1LE is a tad thinner than a regular Z. Also, I think the 5th or 6th gear on the 1LE is shorter

Thanks for the reply, like I said it looks great and is definitely a great price. Also, to chime in, the 1LE also has specific 19" wheels that are a different style and are lighter than the regular wheels. They are also wrapped in the 3R tires which are wider in the front and back. I think they are a 325 in the rear as opposed to the 305s on the regular ZL1.
Twist ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:22 PM   #8
20Bluezl1

The reason I'm asking is because I'm doing the 1le rear cradle bushing changing the all the rear suspension parts to SPL. Would like to know how close my Z will be to a 1le
Old 11-29-2020, 10:52 PM   #9
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
Good job ! I purchased my ZL1 with all the OEM 1LE options added except 19 inch wheels and 1LE shocks. The previous owner had the 20 inch wheels powder coated black. The car front half was wrapped with clear, aftermarket exhaust Atak, Roto-fab dry, a total of about 10K in parts. I won big time plus I got that magnetic ride !
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:56 AM   #10
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Quote:
Changing the front end is the cheap part of the modification. You have the rear wing, which if you go with GM's is $5K. There are several aftermarket ones for $1K. Anderson Composites is IMHO top of that line. Still waiting on mine as well! Then a change in the wheels, which is another $3-4K, depending on the wheels and tires. Granted you can get some of that back by selling the ZL1 wheels. Now as far changing the suspension, don't know if you can do that, however, if you can I suspect that would cost several thousands of $s. I am sure others in the know will chime in on that possibility.
Personally, I like the mag ride suspension on the ZL1 and wouldn't change it even if I could.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:09 AM   #11
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Don't forget about the 1LE stickers for the calipers, then you have a 1LE.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #12
Trak-Toy

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE
The ZLE differs in quite a few different ways in key areas. Not that it amounts to much on public roads driving in typical conditions. But, that's not why you buy the ZLE, right?

The ZLE has stiffer rear spring rates. 3x's stiffer actually.
The ZLE has light rear glass. 1.2mm thinner.
The ZLE has a different front grill, allowing 106 CFM more air flow.
The ZLE has smaller, lighter, and stronger rims. 3.3#'s per corner lighter.
The ZLE has wider tires on all 4 corners. 305 vs 285 front. 325 vs 305 rear.
The ZLE has a shorter 6th gear - 0.54:1 vs 0.68:1
The ZLE is 60# lighter overall vehicle weight.
The ZLE uses DSSV coil over spool valve dampers vs Magnetic ride controlled shocks. This allows for adjustable front ride height, also.
The ZLE uses direct mounted rear cradle onto aluminum pucks versus rubber bushings.
The ZLE uses adjustable front camber plates and adjustable rear stabilizer bar.
The ZLE uses an exposed weave carbon-fiber rear wing and front fascia canards. When combined, they add 300 lbs. of downforce at 150 mph.

These are most of the significant differences. The problem I see with just adding some of these features to a car and simply driving it down the highway is there is this sense that you set the car up to be a poser. These features on the ZLE were added with purpose and part of a complete system to work together in unison to bring about a specific result, ie; faster lap times around a track. Nothing more. I'm curious as to what you would say to someone who comments on your ZL1 1LE? Do you mention it isn't really one?
Trak-Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #13
20Bluezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
Changing the front end is the cheap part of the modification. You have the rear wing, which if you go with GM's is $5K. There are several aftermarket ones for $1K. Anderson Composites is IMHO top of that line. Still waiting on mine as well! Then a change in the wheels, which is another $3-4K, depending on the wheels and tires. Granted you can get some of that back by selling the ZL1 wheels. Now as far changing the suspension, don't know if you can do that, however, if you can I suspect that would cost several thousands of $s. I am sure others in the know will chime in on that possibility.
Personally, I like the mag ride suspension on the ZL1 and wouldn't change it even if I could.

I love the look of the 1le the reason I didn't get it is because it has 50 - 50 reviews on the suspension feeling to stiff. Now I'm regretting not getting a 1le. Any how I have Apex wheels with 3r for the track.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:54 AM   #14
sspddmn

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE and 1991 Z28
Dont forget the red calipers