Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-26-2018, 08:50 AM   #15
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
If it is a tick associated with a leak you should be able to pin point the location and the leak my be enough to set of a CEL. If the tick occurs immediately when the vehicle is turned off it is the metal cooling down. Otherwise, unless it is a bad lifter, which you should be able to somewhat isolate, it is likely just the much thinner metal of an exhaust header as opposed to an exhaust manifold reflecting normal injection or valve train noise. Common and not a reason to avoid LTs IMO.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #16
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-ER View Post
Yes, correct. While idling.

You may be right. I see you point.

Cel phone doesn't seem to pick up the sound like I can in person. It's just a very high pitch ticking that comes from the bottom of the car near the front wheels while the car is idling. Sounds like an exhaust leak, but isn't.

Does anyone know if wrapping them fixes it?
Maybe yours is louder than mine with Kooks 1 7/8”, but I was actually pleasantly surprised with how quiet and civilized the LT4 is with long tubes. Maybe it’s because I had expectations based on headers that I’ve had on at least 5 other SBC and LS builds. Those LS3s (especially my dry sump version) had some pretty loud valvetrains that were made a bunch worse with headers.

It’s hard to say if what you’re hearing is worse due to something with the design of the OBX headers. I hear some very subtle metallic noise from underneath that is very rapid in frequency. Maybe that’s why it doesn’t bother me. It’s not like a lifter tick that’s less frequent and more noticeable. My headers just sound like normal combustion/mechanical noise that’s been turned up a notch or two.

And sorry, I’m not sure about the wrap thing. I’ve never done that.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #17
Jimabe

Drives: 2018 Red ZL1
Mine ticks just a bit too. Have -cats and 2" Kooks. NO where near the valvetrain noise from my same-modded LS1, so not really bothering me...
Certainly wouldn't/shouldn't even be close to a show-stopper from doing the mods...

Things to consider:
1. bye-bye warranty
2. Loud as F
3. Even harder not to drive like idiot and get car impounded
58. Global warming
59. Oprah running for president
60. Header ticking noise

My 2c
Jimabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:33 AM   #18
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
99% of the time a tick in an exhaust manifold is a leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-ER View Post
Does anyone know if wrapping them fixes it?
Did you do a hose test? (hold a vacuum cleaner or whatever hose to your ear and probe around with the other end). You can also try a screwdriver test with a longer stick or rod (hold one end to your ear and the other end on the header) to see which tube is vibrating.

If you've already done the hose/screwdriver tests to verify it's not localized to any one area like the HP fuel pump inlet line or one of the header connections (i.e. a leak), and assuming that it really is indeed a resonance in the header tube metal, then yes wrapping it should help dampen any resonance.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #19
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
You likely weren’t hearing it before because the cast manifolds mask a lot of the noise. I’d say both injection and valvetrain noise is amplified by the thin walled headers.
This exactly.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:17 AM   #20
GT-ER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Did you do a hose test? (hold a vacuum cleaner or whatever hose to your ear and probe around with the other end). You can also try a screwdriver test with a longer stick or rod (hold one end to your ear and the other end on the header) to see which tube is vibrating.

If you've already done the hose/screwdriver tests to verify it's not localized to any one area like the HP fuel pump inlet line or one of the header connections (i.e. a leak), and assuming that it really is indeed a resonance in the header tube metal, then yes wrapping it should help dampen any resonance.
I did, at home I put a vacuum hose in my ear and went along the flanges and all sorts of areas and couldn't pick anything up. Went to an exhaust shop and put it on a lift and they determined the same thing. It's a resonance issue.
GT-ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #21
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I wonder if ceramic coating the headers would help?
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:18 PM   #22
GT-ER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
So, I pulled the headers and one of them was leaking at the collector. I DID have a leak after all. Looks like I'll be swapping out to another set of headers soon. What gaskets should I use? I used oem ones but don't know if there are better ones.

Last edited by GT-ER; 11-23-2018 at 04:10 PM.
GT-ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:09 AM   #23
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
OEM gaskets are fine. I would consider coating your headers. More expensive, but better looking and you avoid damaging the headers. Wrap can hold dirt and moisture, which over time can degrade the headers. Not a certainty, but it does happen.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote