Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-27-2018, 06:13 PM   #15
GT-ER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
Why are there bolts missing on that shaft in the 3rd picture?
I removed the bolts to slide the shaft out of the way to install the headers, then I put the shaft back in place once I was done. I just hadn't installed the bolts yet when I took the pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Don't forget clamp shopping, gaskets, and o2 extensions.

All and all, makes no sense to me. Especially considering I've got some mild Chinese steel bolted to my American V8. No thank you. Go the Kooks/ARH route. You won't regret it. Not hating on the OP or those who like/run the cheap stuff, but I prefer to buy once and buy right. Time and place for cutting corners or saving money, exhaust/headers is not one of those times.
I don't know that I can justify that, especially ARH headers. They are big bucks and, in total, I spent under $900 between the headers (which includes a full exhaust all the way to the muffler, so it also eliminates the crushed pipes underneath), upgraded clamps, oem gaskets and the O2 extension harness.

I don't know that there is a single system out there that even close to the same price and fits flawlessly. Even the Texas Speed, which are similar in price, have had issues with the steering shaft (apparently now fixable with a smaller bolt, although some have said that's not enough) and would still require the upgraded clamps if you want the best seal possible. Plus, the Texas speed doesn't eliminate the crushed pipes in the back so you'll need to add more to the cost to fix that.

This doesn't mean I frown upon anyone wanting ARH or Kooks headers...I totally understand why you would. I just took a shot on these and I've been really impressed so far.
GT-ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:16 PM   #16
GT-ER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
That price is way too close to consider taking a huge risk on those OBX headers. I'd go with Texas Speed headers over the OBX ones if you are looking to save a few bucks.
Is there a HUGE risk? I was literally a click away from getting the texas speed ones with their X-pipe, but I didn't see the point. They are more expensive, don't fix the crush bends in the back, and sometimes have issues with rubbing on the steering shaft. The OBX ones don't have rubbing issues, fix the crushed pipes AND are cheaper.
GT-ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:59 PM   #17
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
I did a little digging, and have seen multiple people install the OBX and the Maximizer (OBX knock offs) without any issues , perfect fitment, etc. I understand that Kooks and ARH did the R and D, and have the name and reputation and customer service to back it up, just not sure its worth it for me.

But that price on the Kooks headers with long tube, where is that from? I could work with $1700
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:32 PM   #18
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
I did a little digging, and have seen multiple people install the OBX and the Maximizer (OBX knock offs) without any issues , perfect fitment, etc. I understand that Kooks and ARH did the R and D, and have the name and reputation and customer service to back it up, just not sure its worth it for me.

But that price on the Kooks headers with long tube, where is that from? I could work with $1700
Atech. Summit Racing’s wholesale division. You have to have an approved account.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:03 PM   #19
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Atech. Summit Racing’s wholesale division. You have to have an approved account.
OK, thank you! Dynosteve on these forums just quoted me a killer deal, I can't pass it up. Gonne get the kooks with Green Cats from him. Will drop the car off while on vacation, will get the griptech upper pulley installed and retune done at the same time... and then I'm done (yeah right )
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #20
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
OK, thank you! Dynosteve on these forums just quoted me a killer deal, I can't pass it up. Gonne get the kooks with Green Cats from him. Will drop the car off while on vacation, will get the griptech upper pulley installed and retune done at the same time... and then I'm done (yeah right )
Awesome!
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote