Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-22-2020, 09:00 PM   #1
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Thumbs up Z/28 Faithful...Our Engine Is In Development !?

Flat plane crank V8 C8 Corvette Z06 caught in development on the street MAY be our return evidence of the Z/28. Just speculation but development costs can be spread among two different platforms.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I saw that but when I think it out, I'm not sure it makes sense... IMHO:

Let's say this thing makes 550-600. I imagine they'd stick it in a car, similar to a ZLE or an SS 1LE. Let's say, because a lot of the drive train after the engine is similar (manual tranny-wise), they'll stick it in an SS. They could add ZLE Multimatic dampers (saving 60-lbs, was it?) over the MR-shocks. They'd add bigger ZL1/E brakes, which would add a little weight, and be back pretty close to an SS 1LE in mass with another 100 HP.

They'll have a car that might be as fast or a touch faster around a track than ZLE for more money? I don't know... Where does this car fit in? An SS 1LE already competes fairly nicely with a GT350R. We don't really complete know how ZL1/E competes with the GT500 yet. I don't know...

I'm probably projecting. I think GM's already missed the boat on this generation in a way. I think they made SS too much better than the GT, so it's not a great match-up. 350s don't match up too well with ZL1s. And there's nothing that quite matches up with the GT500, IMO. ZLE is looking pretty good, but I think the jury's still out. I don't see an NA fitting into the lineup well I guess. It can't cost less than ZL1. So it will cost more than ZL1 and perform less than the GT500?

I also doubt GM's doing anything else this generation. I don't have proof, or have heard more than any of you, but I think this generation is pretty much done. I want to see something different that the proposal above, but that's a different topic.

I'm probably 100% wrong, HAHAHA.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:18 PM   #3
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I would want the Z/28 to be higher powered and higher revving V8 than say the SS 1LE but still naturally aspirated with handling on par with the ZL1 1LE but with standard magna-ride maybe and the DSSV shocks optional.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I would want the Z/28 to be higher powered and higher revving V8 than say the SS 1LE but still naturally aspirated with handling on par with the ZL1 1LE but with standard magna-ride maybe and the DSSV shocks optional.
I like the idea of the DSSVs being optional. Hmm... Maybe those CF-brakes we saw years ago on that prototype in the camo...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 01-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #5
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I saw that but when I think it out, I'm not sure it makes sense... IMHO:

Let's say this thing makes 550-600. I imagine they'd stick it in a car, similar to a ZLE or an SS 1LE. Let's say, because a lot of the drive train after the engine is similar (manual tranny-wise), they'll stick it in an SS. They could add ZLE Multimatic dampers (saving 60-lbs, was it?) over the MR-shocks. They'd add bigger ZL1/E brakes, which would add a little weight, and be back pretty close to an SS 1LE in mass with another 100 HP.

They'll have a car that might be as fast or a touch faster around a track than ZLE for more money? I don't know... Where does this car fit in? An SS 1LE already competes fairly nicely with a GT350R. We don't really complete know how ZL1/E competes with the GT500 yet. I don't know...

I'm probably projecting. I think GM's already missed the boat on this generation in a way. I think they made SS too much better than the GT, so it's not a great match-up. 350s don't match up too well with ZL1s. And there's nothing that quite matches up with the GT500, IMO. ZLE is looking pretty good, but I think the jury's still out. I don't see an NA fitting into the lineup well I guess. It can't cost less than ZL1. So it will cost more than ZL1 and perform less than the GT500?

I also doubt GM's doing anything else this generation. I don't have proof, or have heard more than any of you, but I think this generation is pretty much done. I want to see something different that the proposal above, but that's a different topic.

I'm probably 100% wrong, HAHAHA.
I agree with most of what you are saying, the biggest question is where does this car fit in the lineup?

GM IMO made the 5th gen Z/28 to good. It put it up on the top of the food chain. I don't know if they can top the ZLE. Sure it will be lighter, but it won't have as much power, won't have as much torque. So it would need even more go fast goodies which means expensive.

SO then maybe it doesn't need to top the ZLE, but then at the point are they going to offer a car that's only slightly better than the regular ZL1 and at what cost?

I just don't see where it fits in the line up unless it's better than the SSLE but not quite as good as the ZL1 and priced accordingly. That is the only place I see it in the lineup
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I agree with most of what you are saying, the biggest question is where does this car fit in the lineup?

GM IMO made the 5th gen Z/28 to good. It put it up on the top of the food chain. I don't know if they can top the ZLE. Sure it will be lighter, but it won't have as much power, won't have as much torque. So it would need even more go fast goodies which means expensive.

SO then maybe it doesn't need to top the ZLE, but then at the point are they going to offer a car that's only slightly better than the regular ZL1 and at what cost?

I just don't see where it fits in the line up unless it's better than the SSLE but not quite as good as the ZL1 and priced accordingly. That is the only place I see it in the lineup
That's pretty much where I was going in my thinking without posting it.

I think, if Chevy wants to do it right, in order to be cost effective, they'll have to add power to a ZLE, and I think it would be with LT5. Maybe add a bit bigger brakes, add 20mm to front and rear tires, make the DSSVs an option, and BOOM. Non-traditional Z28, hahaha. It seems like the chassis has some room to grow, and I don't think it will be faster without weighing 3500 pounds and having a minimum of 600 horse. It will cost too much to lose that much weight and won't be worth the expense of a brand new engine and chassis calibration. I don't know anything about any of those, so I'm probably wrong.

LT5, optional DSSVs, bigger brakes and tires, and you have a Z28 that performs better than ZLE. That seems as simple a way to do it as I can think of.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 01-23-2020, 01:59 PM   #7
shaffe

Quote:

I think, if Chevy wants to do it right, in order to be cost effective, they'll have to add power to a ZLE, and I think it would be with LT5. Maybe add a bit bigger brakes, add 20mm to front and rear tires, make the DSSVs an option, and BOOM. Non-traditional Z28, hahaha. It seems like the chassis has some room to grow, and I don't think it will be faster without weighing 3500 pounds and having a minimum of 600 horse. It will cost too much to lose that much weight and won't be worth the expense of a brand new engine and chassis calibration. I don't know anything about any of those, so I'm probably wrong.

LT5, optional DSSVs, bigger brakes and tires, and you have a Z28 that performs better than ZLE. That seems as simple a way to do it as I can think of.
If they are willing to go back on how proud they were the 5th gen car was NA and all that heritage BS and go LT5 route that would be the only way I can see a Z/28 outdoing a ZLE.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 01-23-2020, 02:38 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
If they are willing to go back on how proud they were the 5th gen car was NA and all that heritage BS and go LT5 route that would be the only way I can see a Z/28 outdoing a ZLE.
Agreed. I guess we'll all find out eventually, HAHAHA.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 01-23-2020, 03:58 PM   #9
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:

Camaro simply needs to make it fit. First forget about a Z28 nameplate. Camaro should have made the SS 1LE a Z28 instead but that didnt happen.. Camaro should just put in the higher horse version LT2 in the SS line up to better compete with GT350 and the R and blow away the mustang GT at the same time. Next put the LT5 in the ZL1 and we have a direct competitor to the 2020 GT500. Or use the 5.5 NA motor in the SS1LE rated at 550 horse with a DCT shared with the LT5 ZL1
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #10
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:

I think this is the only option if they are going to do it. I'd buy it...
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #11
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
I think this is the only option if they are going to do it. I'd buy it...
DSSVs only though.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:24 PM   #12
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I really don't see this big wide dohc engine getting put into the Camaro's engine bay without some major work done, though I'm just assuming it'll be wide and have no actual data, plus I doubt gm is willing. Much less a new dct housing for a front engine rear drive setup. It'd be cool to be wrong but I doubt it.

As cool as a high reving high hp NA engine would be, I wouldn't want it at the expense of the torque we've all come to expect on our cars. Especially if said engine would be paired up to an m6 with long-ish gearing instead of a dct like in the c8.

I would prefer and think a hot rodded version of the new 6.6 would be more likely, something along the lines of a new gen 5 lt version of an ls7. Or some sort of modified lt2 or lt2 equivalent as has been mentioned already.

I really don't think they will share this new hot engine designed for the c8 z06 with any other platform anyways, especially an older platform. Maybe a 7th gen if it happens.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:09 AM   #13
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I really don't see this big wide dohc engine getting put into the Camaro's engine bay without some major work done, though I'm just assuming it'll be wide and have no actual data, plus I doubt gm is willing. Much less a new dct housing for a front engine rear drive setup. It'd be cool to be wrong but I doubt it.

As cool as a high reving high hp NA engine would be, I wouldn't want it at the expense of the torque we've all come to expect on our cars. Especially if said engine would be paired up to an m6 with long-ish gearing instead of a dct like in the c8.

I would prefer and think a hot rodded version of the new 6.6 would be more likely, something along the lines of a new gen 5 lt version of an ls7. Or some sort of modified lt2 or lt2 equivalent as has been mentioned already.

I really don't think they will share this new hot engine designed for the c8 z06 with any other platform anyways, especially an older platform. Maybe a 7th gen if it happens.
You bring up a good point there that I would love to see people's response to. People love to dog the coyote and voodoo for now low end grunt. I'd bet some of those people would love this engine just because GM made it lol
Old 01-27-2020, 01:00 PM   #14
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I disagree about the Z/28 going with the LT5. They dropped the ball with the C7 Z06 going supercharged. Now all anyone can say is the C8 Z06 has to make more power or it will be a failure. Never mind actually being track capable or well balanced. Either continue off where the 5th gen ended or don’t do it at all. Where it fits in the lineup is irrelevant. The Z/28 is iconic and deserves to stand on its own.

The thing most people care about with performance cars is bragging rights and content. Corvette abandoned their heritage with the C7 Z06 because they knew most people just want the Z06 badge, without the actual Z06. The C7 Z06 has nothing in common with its predecessors.

All of this doesn’t matter anyways. The 6th gen Camaro is done. They are just going to ride it out, until the 7th gen or the whole thing is canceled.