Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 11-20-2019, 01:11 PM   #1079
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura 1LE View Post
Sonoma and Thunderhill looks like a blast. Just a bit too far me to drive.

Looking at your smoke from your brake and tire. You might be trail braking too much. Try next time to brake bit later on entry but harder on the quick turns. I know sometimes on the wide sweepers you need to trail brake. Sometimes run 100% on (2) laps and do a 80% cool down on the next.
possibly -- i think it's mostly because i got the dreaded "late checkered" flag a couple turns before pitting so basically zero cool-down. didn't notice the smoke on other sessions and did a couple laps of the paddock if i came in pretty hot again ... brakes worked great the entire time though, loved it.
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:07 PM   #1080
Wontspeak

Drives: 1SS 1LE
How an old guy does Road America with 19” A/S Pilot Sport Runflats, on a cold and windy day in October *laughs* Hollywood Version

https://youtu.be/FygwyuayXLQ

Last edited by Wontspeak; 11-26-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Wontspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #1081
most-wanted

Drives: ZL1
Nothing too exciting. Just a fun day with friends. Brand new car with 219 miles. Nothing set up yet other than brake fluid. 43 degrees so I kept it in check. Will get the car set up over the next few weeks. But couldn't resist a day on the track. Still fiddling with camera set up and external mic. Also had issues with track addict lap timer reading odd. So bought an AIM Solo 2. looking forward to next year. But great run group.

https://youtu.be/1YPaDOriDYc

https://youtu.be/GPc9e8g1MAI
Attached Images

Last edited by most-wanted; 12-12-2019 at 09:23 PM.
most-wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:42 AM   #1082
Wontspeak

Drives: 1SS 1LE
100 years ago I might have been a contender *laughs*
Attached Images

Wontspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:31 PM   #1083
LESS1

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Summit Point Shenandoah circuit from last August. Only 13 cars total so not much traffic, which was nice. This was my second time on Shenandoah and third track day with SS 1LE.

LESS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #1084
Tango1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Last week at PBOC Winter Fest in Sebring. i got thrown into 400 class (Advanced and Novice) due to late registration..Three cameras but not the best sync-ing... Also, my TrackAddict app seems to drop in-and-out of GPS coverage.. Damn i wish i'd ordered PDR!

'89 RS 'vert
Tango1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:56 PM   #1085
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Oops!

Attached Images

cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:53 PM   #1086
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Oops!
That was fun, even passed a ZLE. How were your lap times there?
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:12 PM   #1087
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Oops!

Did you hit the curb with your front wheel during that slide? Any damage? There are definitely a few places with big potholes in front of the curb which could do harm but I don’t remember if that curb is one of them
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:04 AM   #1088
LESS1

Summit Point Main March 06, 2020, new PB... details below for anyone interested.

URL: https://youtu.be/2hR0VADjsy4

This is my third time at Summit Point Main in my SS 1LE. Same mods as before, Chevy Track Alignment and high temp brake fluid, all else stock. Just like my last time on SP Main back in November 2019, it was cold and windy only this time with light rain, temps were in the low 40’s with a high of 55 deg.

This is the first event of 2020 on SP Main since November 2019 so the track was green/slow. I ended up using Sport 1 exclusively due to the weather/rain. The car ran well but was down on power from my November SP Main session when temps were 32 to 41 deg. This is evident in the slower acceleration and lower speeds on straights, especially the main straight.

I am starting to get comfortable with the car and stayed in the throttle longer, braking later and harder while rolling more speed into corners, except for #3, not comfortable with this corner yet. My previous best lap was 1:22.25 set in November 2019. Today I was able to drop this down to a 1:21.87 on a damp and green track. Jump to min (18:00) for the start of my best lap.

The more I track this car the more impressed I am with Camaro SS 1LE. The whole arrive, check air pressures, drive the heck out of it, go as fast or faster than a lot of cars and then head for home at the end of the day couldn’t get easier. All without ever having to worry about something breaking, falling off, or tire changes…etc. is priceless in my opinion.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:11 PM   #1089
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LESS1 View Post
Summit Point Main March 06, 2020, new PB... details below for anyone interested.

URL: https://youtu.be/2hR0VADjsy4

This is my third time at Summit Point Main in my SS 1LE. Same mods as before, Chevy Track Alignment and high temp brake fluid, all else stock. Just like my last time on SP Main back in November 2019, it was cold and windy only this time with light rain, temps were in the low 40’s with a high of 55 deg.

This is the first event of 2020 on SP Main since November 2019 so the track was green/slow. I ended up using Sport 1 exclusively due to the weather/rain. The car ran well but was down on power from my November SP Main session when temps were 32 to 41 deg. This is evident in the slower acceleration and lower speeds on straights, especially the main straight.

I am starting to get comfortable with the car and stayed in the throttle longer, braking later and harder while rolling more speed into corners, except for #3, not comfortable with this corner yet. My previous best lap was 1:22.25 set in November 2019. Today I was able to drop this down to a 1:21.87 on a damp and green track. Jump to min (18:00) for the start of my best lap.

The more I track this car the more impressed I am with Camaro SS 1LE. The whole arrive, check air pressures, drive the heck out of it, go as fast or faster than a lot of cars and then head for home at the end of the day couldn’t get easier. All without ever having to worry about something breaking, falling off, or tire changes…etc. is priceless in my opinion.
Re your last paragraph: well said and i agree fully.
This car is what made me switch from a track prepped trailer queen. Haven't regreted my decision even once, in 3 seasons now. Arrive and drive is a beautiful thing. And the Camaro is a real champ! Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:04 PM   #1090
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
That was fun, even passed a ZLE. How were your lap times there?
Fun right up until that point! My best was a 1:47. Was on target for a 1:46 that lap until I caught the ZLE.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZFcEV-6eQSY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolltideSS View Post
Did you hit the curb with your front wheel during that slide? Any damage? There are definitely a few places with big potholes in front of the curb which could do harm but I don’t remember if that curb is one of them
Yes unfortunately it is not level there at all so I now have a souvenir chunk of metal that used to be part of the edge of that wheel! Let me know if you are aware of any other similar areas so I can be extra careful around them!

I had to replace the wheel, passenger front rearward lower control arm, tie rod end, small splash shield fender liner, and realign. The curb hit also knocked that wheel's camber from -2.4 to 0 even though the 2 nuts holding it were torqued to at least 200 ft-lbs!
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:17 PM   #1091
LESS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Re your last paragraph: well said and i agree fully.
This car is what made me switch from a track prepped trailer queen. Haven't regreted my decision even once, in 3 seasons now. Arrive and drive is a beautiful thing. And the Camaro is a real champ! Cheers!
Agree. What I find amusing is a lot of old and new track rats will start planning mods before the car becomes a limiter to performance. Chevy set the bar very high with SS 1LE, so high I'd say that 90%+ of owners that track these cars will never approach the performance limits of the car.

Yet in a never ending quest for speed, these folks mod the car. When in reality more time on track learning about the car and getting comfortable is what most truly need. In my case at this track in the video I posted earlier I went from a SS 1LE PB of 1:25.63 my first time out. To my new PB of 1:21.87, both of these PB times were set with the same mods which include Chevy track alignment and high temp brake fluid, all else stock. And there is still time to be had, maybe a 1/2 second or more from this new PB.

As proof of this more seat time is better than jumping straight into mods belief consider this. The very next day at the same track with cooler temps, no rain, much less wind, and a rubbered up track - your welcome. A ZLE driver set his PB of 1:21.83... only 4 hundredths quicker with better/stickier tires and 200HP advantage. Not saying a ZLE doesn't have more in it because a well driven stock ZLE will go around this track in 1:19 or better.

Arrive and drive is the way to go for sure. I gave up on the change tires...etc stuff at the track a long time ago and will never go back to that madness. Much more enjoyable to relax in between sessions, watch PDR and work on correcting my mistakes. I do get a chuckle out of watching others scramble after getting out of their car to prep for the next session, especially humorous when a good rain shows up!
Old 03-11-2020, 09:12 PM   #1092
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LESS1 View Post
Agree. What I find amusing is a lot of old and new track rats will start planning mods before the car becomes a limiter to performance. Chevy set the bar very high with SS 1LE, so high I'd say that 90%+ of owners that track these cars will never approach the performance limits of the car.

Yet in a never ending quest for speed, these folks mod the car. When in reality more time on track learning about the car and getting comfortable is what most truly need. In my case at this track in the video I posted earlier I went from a SS 1LE PB of 1:25.63 my first time out. To my new PB of 1:21.87, both of these PB times were set with the same mods which include Chevy track alignment and high temp brake fluid, all else stock. And there is still time to be had, maybe a 1/2 second or more from this new PB.

As proof of this more seat time is better than jumping straight into mods belief consider this. The very next day at the same track with cooler temps, no rain, much less wind, and a rubbered up track - your welcome. A ZLE driver set his PB of 1:21.83... only 4 hundredths quicker with better/stickier tires and 200HP advantage. Not saying a ZLE doesn't have more in it because a well driven stock ZLE will go around this track in 1:19 or better.

Arrive and drive is the way to go for sure. I gave up on the change tires...etc stuff at the track a long time ago and will never go back to that madness. Much more enjoyable to relax in between sessions, watch PDR and work on correcting my mistakes. I do get a chuckle out of watching others scramble after getting out of their car to prep for the next session, especially humorous when a good rain shows up!
Well, you took words right out of my mouth! That's not to say that stickier tires, etc wont eventually lead to faster times. Of course they will and i appreciate those that do know how to get 90+% out of the car wanting more. It is part of anyone's progression it seems. And some just like to continue improving their cars, or outright tinker

But, in 99% of all cases, the driver will matter the most.
I am not the fastest by any means, but i am still waiting for a single ZL1, or a ZLE for that matter, to pass me.
I am sure it will happen. But it wont be just the car, or the sticky tires, but the driver that will make it happen.

The thing is, many folks want to somehow accelerate their progress quickly and as such, blow money on mods vs seat time, as the former doesnt take any time. Just money. It seems easy and guaranteed. My ZL1 friend ran an Rcomps and i passed him. Next season he showed up on G3Rs and i still passed him. This year he may show up on slicks. And i know i will still pass him. Because i can get more out of my car than he can out of his no matter what tires he's on. I laugh when ZLE guys come over for a chat scratching their heads after being passed. Too many ppl automatically assume that a faster car will always equal faster laps.

But of course that's not the case and our own Fastest Laps illustrate it pretty good. OTOH a friend runs a modded street legal 1M Bimmer and we are neck to neck most of the time. Another one drives a Carrera GTS and it is a cake walk. Again, too many variables here, incl driver experience, but bottom line is to have fun!

Anyway, it is all good and i try hard (sometimes i should try even harder lol!) not to get bend out of shape about it anymore. Only a few even consider the advice, most promptly ignore it and look for shortcuts. And i am confident they will have a eureka moment eventually. Well, hopefully!
I think we've all been there at one point or another, to be honest. I am no exception!

Ive gone a full circle, from a stock car on streets, to a stock car on Rcomps, to a modded car with a tire trailer, to a track car and a full trailer and hauler, back to a stock car on streets. Funny, as my FUNometer has never been higher and my PITAmeter lower But i must confess, if not for the Camaro, i am not sure I'd get there, unless i paid 3 times the price and got a GT4. And since no GT4 has ever passed me either: here's to our cars! Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote