Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Motortrends Comparison, not a Comparison

Worth the read for those interested

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford...t-test-review/
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #2
TheRedhead

Drives: 2018 Red Hot ZL1 1LE
I dropped my S197 for the 6th Gen.

No looking back.

Built!
TheRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Camaro still wins. PP2 isn't enough. Basically like we predicted from the start.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Nothing here is surprising. And I believe if they tested them on the same day, the gap would have been even wider. I could give the PP2 a pass if the price wasn't equal to or more than the 1Le.

With the subpar transmission and iffy motor, anybody rushing out to get a GT PP2 at anything even close to MSRP needs to have their head checked.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
benjj

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE
They should have done a little tongue in cheek joke at the end saying the Mustang was better because of the trunk opening or something stupid like that just to rile everyone up before explaining it was a joke.
benjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #6
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I dunno.. if I was choosing between the Mustang and Camaro for an only car / daily driver situation, I'd probably end up with the Mustang.

But, I think it's pretty silly to worry about things like trunk space and visibility in a 450+ hp RWD sports car. I didn't buy it to run errands.. although I do get stuck in traffic a fair amount and I have yet to crash in to anyone even with the poor visibility out the back
Old 08-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #7
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
I read the article and you can compare all you want and after owning both I feel that overall the Camaro (if everything works) is the better car. It's better on the track, it's lighter and the steering feels better. And oh the Camaro looks way better. But in my case my Camaro everything did not work and now I own a Mustang and everything works so as long as everything keeps working, it will be the better of the two cars for me. There is nothing worse than getting stuck with a Lemon.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
Godfatha

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
I read the article and you can compare all you want and after owning both I feel that overall the Camaro (if everything works) is the better car. It's better on the track, it's lighter and the steering feels better. And oh the Camaro looks way better. But in my case my Camaro everything did not work and now I own a Mustang and everything works so as long as everything keeps working, it will be the better of the two cars for me. There is nothing worse than getting stuck with a Lemon.
Sucks that you've had issues with the Camaro. I've owned a few Fords and have had problems out of most of them. But it all comes down to luck of the draw I believe.
Godfatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:46 PM   #9
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
Worth the read for those interested

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford...t-test-review/

Great read, the 1LE is a great set up and like Randy says, just think what the Camaro would do with Cup 2's like the PP2 Mustang.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #10
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfatha View Post
Sucks that you've had issues with the Camaro. I've owned a few Fords and have had problems out of most of them. But it all comes down to luck of the draw I believe.
Everybody’s got a bad story about a car or two. After owning a GT 350, for example, I can’t think of anyone I hate enough to recommend that they buy one. My 1LE, on the other hand, has been great.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:00 AM   #11
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
Everybody’s got a bad story about a car or two. After owning a GT 350, for example, I can’t think of anyone I hate enough to recommend that they buy one. My 1LE, on the other hand, has been great.
It really is the luck of the draw. On paper the Mustang and Camaro are similar, nice performance cars. We each have our preferences and make our decision to buy based on that. There are lemons out there and I wish I had read the forums prior to buying my Camaro- I did not want an automatic- I had a 2011 SS with a 6 speed manual that I traded in for my 2017 RS, but I loved the looks and equipment my 2LT RS had and bought it. After reading the forums and the problems with the A8 transmissions on Corvettes, Camaros and Colorados after, I would have stayed from it and got manual and not had to trade it in so soon. I did read up on the Mustang before I bought and some up to 2017 had transmission problems. Hopefully it's been addressed with the re-design of the 2018 tranny. At least I got a great a great price on it- cheaper than almost any Camaro with a V6 or V8.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:07 AM   #12
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
The Mustang continues to suffer in the torque department and requires more revs than the LT1 to get everything out of the Coyote. I guess it's a different driving experience than Camaro. I prefer the pull your guts to the back of the seat feel of gobs of torque at low RPM than winding every gear out to 5+ grand to get it to really scoot.

A car with lots of torque and a lumpy idle feels much more substantial, bigger, more like a tank.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote